Otis and other cable type cleaning systems

Are cable type cleaning systems sufficient?

• Total voters

Deviant

Just curious what everyone thinks of these types of cleaning systems. Can you really get a rifle barrel clean enough without a jag?

Great question. You know I know people that have used those for years, now how clean it makes their barrels I could not say. In my opinion, again just my opinion these are strictly field use tools. I have used them before for getting larger debris out of my barrel while hunting and such. To me there is no comparison in these systems as compared to the use of jag, patches, and nylon brushes with quality cleaning rods and bore guides. Interested to see what others say!

Just curious what everyone thinks of these types of cleaning systems. Can you really get a rifle barrel clean enough without a jag?
For the field, they work fine at cleaning the bore from mud or dirt that you might encounter that could ruin your day of hunting. But for thorough cleaning at home or on the bench, i'd stick to a nice 1-piece J.Dewey coated fiberglass or Pro-Shot stainless rod with Pro-Shot brushes and jags.

FYI, I have an Otis kit that I keep in my hunting pack for just such emergencies.

it would take a LOT of passes with a bore snake to get a barrel "clean" to a degree where most of us would call it clean. i have bore snakes for all of my calibers, but it's more for convenience sake if i'm firing a lot of rounds and need to get a layer of crud out of the barrel. when guns need a cleaning, it's a good rod and a bore guide and some quality time with my guns.

I have an Otis kit in my pack for knocking debris out while in the field, and I will often run a BoreSnake through after wet days or really humid nights, as well as right at the end of a longer shooting session. Once I get home I break out the rods, brushes, and jags and do a real cleaning.

i voted yes. they get the barrel clean, at least clean enough for the ar's that i use it on. shooting suppressed you only get so clean.

For the field, they work fine at cleaning the bore from mud or dirt that you might encounter that could ruin your day of hunting. But for thorough cleaning at home or on the bench, i'd stick to a nice 1-piece J.Dewey coated fiberglass or Pro-Shot stainless rod with Pro-Shot brushes and jags.

FYI, I have an Otis kit that I keep in my hunting pack for just such emergencies.
I do the same Otis only no bore snake.

I WAS an anal guy about cleaning. Have a huge supply of patches and brushes and Dewey rods. I had my gunsmith barrel up a 6 Creedmoor and asked him how he would suggest breaking it in. He said, " shoot 5 and pull once for five sessions". I said what do you mean "pull once"? He said to use a bore snake and oil and after 5 rounds, spray the bore and pull the snake through. Knowing he shoots a lot and is an accuracy guy, I did it. WOW ! Was I surprised! I shoot suppressed,too but my accuracy is sub 1/2 MOA doing this. I also follow his advise and don't clean so often either, maybe after 100 rounds. On rare occasions, we do patch clean it, when accuracy has fallen off. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I am amazed. He also related why he does this is that his barrel maker advised him to do it. For those of us who have shot benchrest, or know about it; you may recall what they do. Clean the bore til it's spotless...and then shoot fouling shots to get the barrel ready for shooting groups! Duh? How often have you shot the 1st shot and it it does not go with the rest? Wasn't fouled, right?
He uses Rem spray oil, I use Ballistol. I'm a happy, happy shooter! :)

Someone who uses the Otis equipment right probably still does a better job than some of the people I have seen using rods and jags. I may think rods and jags are better equipment, but they still have to be used correctly.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.