Opinions on VX6-HD 4-24

I was dead set on the VX-6HD 4-24 for a 28 nosler build. But ended up with the Vortex AMG 6-24 that I got used for just under $2k, so the same ball park price. I have only handled the Leupold in a gunstore, haven't accutally shot it, but IMO the Vortex is a much better scope. Glass is amazing, much better turrets than the Leupold, tracking is dead on, and low light is awesome as well. I can't comment on the Leupold low light as I have only looked through it in a well lit gun store, but the vortex is really really good. It's more expensive than the Leupold, but you can find them used pretty easily for $2k and with the Vortex warranty you shouldn't have any apprehension going to the used market if you want to.

The only problem I see with the leupold new zero stop, is you only get 2 turns of total elevation before the dial stops, it does on my vx6hd 3-18x44 anyways, so anything beyond 40moa of elevation, you using the reticle, I wish there was a way around it, there may be, but I do not know. I'd love to put this exact scope on my new 300 norma, however I want to have more dialing than that.

The easy solution is to dial up to 40 MOA to get to ~1400 yards and use reticle compensation to get the remainder.

Love the LEUPOLD VX6 4-24 my brother bought one on close out at cabelas. Clear glass, capped windage.

I have a hard time getting away from my Bushnell LRHS's it fits me to a T...most good LR scopes have uncapped turret windage...I'm a hunter first, and a target shooter 2...my hunting scopes must have capped windage.

Don't think you would go wrong with the VX6HD

I was dead set on the VX-6HD 4-24 for a 28 nosler build. But ended up with the Vortex AMG 6-24 that I got used for just under $2k, so the same ball park price. I have only handled the Leupold in a gunstore, haven't accutally shot it, but IMO the Vortex is a much better scope. Glass is amazing, much better turrets than the Leupold, tracking is dead on, and low light is awesome as well. I can't comment on the Leupold low light as I have only looked through it in a well lit gun store, but the vortex is really really good. It's more expensive than the Leupold, but you can find them used pretty easily for $2k and with the Vortex warranty you shouldn't have any apprehension going to the used market if you want to.

You're right. The AMG is a nicely featured optic and probably my overall favorite LR scope available right now. The AMG is the scope that convinced me that NF is about ten years behind with the NXS lineup. However, new for new the AMG is regularly $500 more than the VX6HD.

It really boils down to user needs. I've found value in both feature sets. Although, the fact remains that the VX6HD is lighter and performs extremely well optically. If you're into shaving every ounce from a carry rifle while maintaining serious long range capability at low light, the VX6HD will do it.

It's going to be on a light weight hunting/target 6mmSLR so yes I'm trying to watch my weight when everything is considered.

I have the original VX6 (pre hd) 3-18x50. I am told the glass is not really different from the newer HD's, but the HD is certainly not worse. I have compared it on an eye chart at 130 yards IIRC, in full, medium and low light against my HD5, which I compared against my Vortex HST. Long and short, the VX (which I had originally bought for my second line rifle), beat the HD5 significantly in each situation. It now sits on my primary rifle, with the HD5 getting pushed down. Interestingly, I had my son look too because his eyes are much better than mine...same result, except he could resolve everything about 2 lines lower than I could..ie everything just shifted down, but the gap between the two remained the same. The HST was handily beat by the HD5, and trailed significantly against the VX6. But it's on a target rifle I use for training, so it's not been a problem.

On tracking, I have used mine out to 1200 yards and back and forth on many occasions, no problems with return to zero.

I use mine for hunting so the 2 turn locking turrets are something I love, though I wish it was more than 2 turns. I have them on both windage and elevation, with windage, it's a split two turn. I have had exposed turrets get moved in the past while hunting, so I really want locks on my hunting rifles.

HTH.

7B0BC77F-043A-437A-B796-7A617A5518D1.png
Is the lock on the elevation spring loaded? If so you could dremel the stop away to get more than 2 turns.

Might void warranty though

Last edited:
Nevermind. The more i look i realized thats not possible
Yeah, it's part of the design of the turret. However, you can have it removed and have regular CDS turrets put on, but then there is no zero stop.
One thing, Leupold just released the Mark 5 HD for tons of money. It has a 3 turn turret....wonder if those can be retrofitted to the VX6 line. When I bought my 6, it had regular turrets...no lock....and I had them retro fit 2 turn locks for very little money....wonder if 3 turns could now be put on. Probably not, Mark 5's are a totally different line and it's a 35mm tube, but it would be worth a call...60 MOA of elevation should more than do the trick, though for me, at least for now, 40 outstrips both my skill and my opportunities for long shots.

Leupold Says the VX6-HD 4-24x52 has 68 moa of adjustment.
Well, in that case, might make a 3 turn useless on that scope. IIRC, when I had my 3-18 in to have turrets switched out, Leupold measured my available adjustment at 84 MOA total. IIRC, with my 20 MOA rings, I have 52 MOA left. So if I could have 3 turns, I could use that final 12 or so MOA.

I guess if your rifle needs less elevation than mine did to get 'on' and you used a 20 MOA base...you could still make use of that extra turn...dunno. Doubt it would fit though. Nonetheless, with the 2 turns, your gonna get 40ish (it is actually 39 IIRC due to the stop taking up some space) MOA out of the scope. Should get you out there pretty far depending on what you are shooting. Get TMOA or something like it for a reticle, and you'll probably be well past the transonic before you run out of elevation.

I just bought the Leupold VX6-HD 4-24x52 a month ago for $1,560.-- (including shipping to Alaska).
I am amazed at the quality of the glass. I am beyond ecstatic with the decision to purchase it.

I just bought the Leupold VX6-HD 4-24x52 a month ago for $1,560.-- (including shipping to Alaska).
I am amazed at the quality of the glass. I am beyond ecstatic with the decision to purchase it.

That's a screaming good deal. If you can get it for that, I wouldn't look at anything else.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.