opinions on mountain rifle

JMEOutdoors

Okay guys so i have a 7mm rem mag and 6.5 creedmoor, going to invest in a 28 nos build soon. however these are all my pretty guns that i dont want to get all beat up and rusty. im 5'10 165 lbs for reference here. i have a savage action i could build off of, or i have a 7mm-08 (compact/youth model) from when i was younger and smaller. this gun id use to bear hunt. is 7/08 enough in mountain laurel? shot could be 50 yards or 700-1000 across the valleys. should i build off the savage, use the 7/08 i already have, or buy another gun? please list any recommendations for calibers also as i am not a big bear hunter. thanks in advance.

.338 Federal would work and puts nice big holes thru thick fur and fat! Not so much for 1,000. 7/08 or .308 is never wrong either but again your 7mm excels way over there...so build a new gun, switch stock or use the 7mm. Short range, short beater gun .338 federal. Cross canyon, either of your lasers...

In my experience, black bears (both archery and guns) are pretty easy to kill. The hard part is if they run, their hide plugs the hole pretty easily.

My suggestion would be to put a large hole in them and not concern yourself with the long shot, as they are pretty easy to stalk as well. I think a 30 cal or larger would be my choice, just to get a larger frontal area.

Hope this helps.
Steve

Have you shot the 7-08 at 1000? How does it shoot? How does the youth stock fit you? Will the scope you have work at long range?

So...lets look at this as the new generation up and coming...
If there's gonna be a someone to shoot this theres not really reason to worry about it....it isn't going to be yours....if its a grand daughter..son.....whomever is in line should have something cool to shoot.....you have pictures of it and animals taken........now the next generation can say yes "its the same action but dad and grandpa worn out the barrel...."...so now I have lots of shooting to do to catch up..."load 'em up..gramps...."
Make it special.....again......

Have you shot the 7-08 at 1000? How does it shoot? How does the youth stock fit you? Will the scope you have work at long range?
never shot the 7/08 at 1000, shoots pretty good at 600 on paper. thats prone on a bipod so stock is fine, i havent shot in the field with it lately so im kinda in the blue with that one..

To answer your question I'd build off of the savage without issue, IF its a SA I'd go 6.5 PRC, 6.5 saum, or 6.5 Sherman. If you want a 7mm I'd neck up the PRC, saum, or do 7 Sherman. The WSM is sweet too but the case might be a little long so you'd need to consider that unless you have a LA. If you have a long action I'd run a 284 or a 6.5-284 or a 280AI. I am very fond of my 6.5-284's.

I think you should buy a new rifle for safety reasons. I mean your hunting big dangerous bears right?

I'm just trying to give you an excuse to buy a new rifle.
I would agree with this. I would buy something similar to the WSM family if you want a short action or bump it up to a long-action improved like a 280 Ackley. I've never hunted bear before so I don't really have an idea how hard they are to kill but I'd want a something bigger than a short action for an animal that could turn and maul me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.