Suppressor on mountain rifle

ALOT more than velocity involved in performance when long range hunting. Weigh the pros n cons for yourself and the way you hunt. If you hunt steel plates maybe long barrels and ear pro is optimal performance. If you hunt four legged ungulates in hard to reach places performance might involve barrel length, muzzle blast, recoil, spotting your shots, among other things that suppressors affect. I still hunt with and without my cans depending on the hunt. My hearing is already bad though and wish I would made the switch in the beginning. Either way things will still die so don't get your panties in too big of a bunch. FWIW all my rifles/loads have shot more accurately the moment I spun the suppressor on. My 18" 7 saum shoots 155's at 2950…you can have your cake and eat it too, and it's true the critters won't know what hit them.

I should add to the OP. On serious backcountry hunts where we are packing serious miles like 60+ miles type hunts and sheep hunts, I might opt to leave the suppressor at home and run an UL setup with muzzle brake. Of course making sure to re-zero before the hunt. But for 9/10 hunts it stays put. Most hunts the pros outweigh the weight cons.

Last edited:
I should add to the OP. On serious backcountry hunts where we are packing serious miles like 60+ miles type hunts and sheep hunts, I might opt to leave the suppressor at home and run an UL setup with muzzle brake. Of course making sure to re-zero before the hunt. But for 9/10 hunts it stays put. Most hunts the pros outweigh the weight cons.

There are suppressors like the Banish Backcountry, Rugged Alaskan 360 TI, TBAC Ultra 5 as well as others that don't weigh much.

Friend of mine that a WR bench rest shooter had Wheeler build him a 5 # carry rifle.Hes shot in in 3'' at a 1000, 3 shot group.21'' Lila, pierce tit.its a 6mm and a 6.5 creed switch barrel.

If the goal is maximum performance from the round, then why limit yourself to 28" of barrel? If you truly believe maximum velocity is the best, you're limiting your performance with a 28" barrel. Studies seem to show that with centerfire rifles such as .308, you don't start to lose velocity until you are well over 30".

So it's hypocritical to suggest a 28" to maximize velocity.

Why not run a 35" barrel? Because it's cumbersome and not practical. Sure, you'd like a little more velocity, but you choose a balance of velocity and practical length for a manageable size.

Well for some people, running a 26" barrel with a suppressor is too cumbersome and they want to benefits of a suppressor and are willing to lose a little velocity to make it a more handy overall length.

So in reality they are willing to accept less barrel length to make it more manageable, just like you do with your shorter-than-maximum-performance 28" barrel. 🙂
you are getting a little to emotional, Dentite to decide I am hypocritical to suggest28 inches maximizes velocity especially when I didn't say that. I stated you would be better off with a 28 inch 308 getting 4 to 5 thousand round before to barrel was shot out so you could get trigger time than to shorten a magnum to get the same preformance and only 1000 rnds barrel life. With out practicing with the rifle skills never improve most importantly wind reading skills if you want to shoot long range. With medium capacity cartridges the velocity loss per inch of shortening is less than high capacity cartridges. So no matter how emotionally connected you are to a suppressor you can't deny physics, you sacrifice preformance by shortening the barrel and I could care less what you do I am replying to the person who started this requesting opinions this is mine.

you are getting a little to emotional, Dentite to decide I am hypocritical to suggest28 inches maximizes velocity especially when I didn't say that. I stated you would be better off with a 28 inch 308 getting 4 to 5 thousand round before to barrel was shot out so you could get trigger time than to shorten a magnum to get the same preformance and only 1000 rnds barrel life. With out practicing with the rifle skills never improve most importantly wind reading skills if you want to shoot long range. With medium capacity cartridges the velocity loss per inch of shortening is less than high capacity cartridges. So no matter how emotionally connected you are to a suppressor you can't deny physics, you sacrifice preformance by shortening the barrel and I could care less what you do I am replying to the person who started this requesting opinions this is mine.
Not emotional, just countering your points with counterpoint to consider.

I totally accept that shorter barrels mean lower velocity in commonly used centerfire rifles.

But does it really reduce the "performance"?

Well there's terminal performance and then there's how a tool performs in the user's hands.

Shorter barrel with lower velocity will indeed negatively affect terminal performance.

But a modern bolt action rifle with modern clear glass, a timney trigger adjusted to 2lbs, a suppressor to reduce noise, blast, and recoil and the ability to for my sons and I to communicate in whispers with no hearing protection definitely "performs" better for us than someone using grandpappy's rifle with a stiff trigger, poor glass, and heavier recoil, noise, and blast even if the bullet exits the barrel with a bit more terminal velocity potential.

If certain features of the rifle better allow the shooter to put a bullet in the vitals, those features might be worth sacrificing some FPS.

What I'm trying to relay is that I accept your point about a shorter barrel reducing terminal performance. But trying to explain that a barrel with a bit shorter barrel paired with a suppressor can increase overall "performance" of the rifle in our hands.

Not trying to convince you, just sharing my experiences.

My son using a 22" 6.5 Creedmore on his mule deer at 200 yards.

20221022_084014_resized.jpg

Happy hunting to you.

So no matter how emotionally connected you are to a suppressor you can't deny physics, you sacrifice preformance by shortening the barrel and I could care less what you do I am replying to the person who started this requesting opinions this is mine.
Actually by shortening a barrel one is only sacrificing velocity if that is the singular change made. Some of which may be gained back by the addition of a suppressor. Performance wise, any minimal velocity loss may still be within
a given bullets terminal velocity design limits. If not then user adjustments can be made in several ways to get to a bullets desired terminal velocities. Additionally shooter performance can be gained by the many benefits of a suppressor.
We all have our views, perspectives, & performance goals. Some passionate.
I believe you do care what others do, & appreciate your contribution to this topic.

Shoot Accurately !!

I think in some situations the OP throws out a question just to watch the fireworks.!
the show is usually well worth the cost of admission.

Not emotional, just countering your points with counterpoint to consider.

I totally accept that shorter barrels mean lower velocity in commonly used centerfire rifles.

But does it really reduce the "performance"?

Well there's terminal performance and then there's how a tool performs in the user's hands.

Shorter barrel with lower velocity will indeed negatively affect terminal performance.

But a modern bolt action rifle with modern clear glass, a timney trigger adjusted to 2lbs, a suppressor to reduce noise, blast, and recoil and the ability to for my sons and I to communicate in whispers with no hearing protection definitely "performs" better for us than someone using grandpappy's rifle with a stiff trigger, poor glass, and heavier recoil, noise, and blast even if the bullet exits the barrel with a bit more terminal velocity potential.

If certain features of the rifle better allow the shooter to put a bullet in the vitals, those features might be worth sacrificing some FPS.

What I'm trying to relay is that I accept your point about a shorter barrel reducing terminal performance. But trying to explain that a barrel with a bit shorter barrel paired with a suppressor can increase overall "performance" of the rifle in our hands.

Not trying to convince you, just sharing my experiences.

My son using a 22" 6.5 Creedmore on his mule deer at 200 yards.

View attachment 480396

Happy hunting to you.
If you want to converse its better to leave out hypocritical especially when it doesn't apply, The picture of your son with this rifle is an extremely fine use of a suppressor with the reduction of noise and recoil this could prevent the start of flinching which is death for fine marksmanship. I hope he got his deer. If he has any love for shooting take him to any range near you and their is a very good chance they have a juniors program for smallbore and have equipment they will loan out when kids are young and have the desire it is wonderfull to watch how fast they learn and smallbore is position shooting so they learn to shoot standing ,sitting kneeling amd prone with only themselves to support the rifle, no sand bags or benches. also .22's are cheap no barrel cleaning , no reloading. Kids do real well and learn fast. years ago the smallbore season started and my buddy didn't show so I called him and asked why and he said, I'm tired of getting beat by little girls. I thought that was pretty funny and the girls do every bit as good as the boys.

Actually by shortening a barrel one is only sacrificing velocity if that is the singular change made. Some of which may be gained back by the addition of a suppressor. Performance wise, any minimal velocity loss may still be within
a given bullets terminal velocity design limits. If not then user adjustments can be made in several ways to get to a bullets desired terminal velocities. Additionally shooter performance can be gained by the many benefits of a suppressor.
We all have our views, perspectives, & performance goals. Some passionate.
I believe you do care what others do, & appreciate your contribution to this topic.

Shoot Accurately !!
Thankyou for your kind words and thoughts, you might find this interesting if not I'm sorry, I shoot Highpower and use a ruger precision rifle which I think is a great rifle, if I don' hit a 10 it's my fault never the rifle and the stock is adustable for length of pull and cheek height. I have shot a 260 since 1998 for this game and the loads seem to be very similar every time I change barrels so I took the factory 6.5 creedmore off and put a new barrel { I'm on my 4th in 6 years] and chambered it in 260. Another of these ruger precision rifles I have I decided to hunt with so I took the factory barrel off and rechambered it in 6.5x284 and killed a couple of deer with it and it shot pretty well. There was a match last year which consisted of shooting 3 times and 20 shots each time at 600 yds so I took my 260 rpr and my 6.5x284 rpr and shot each one at the match . The range has new electronic scoring devices which also tell velocity of the bullet as it goes through the target, so my 260 with 27 inches of barrel ,140 mk, recorded an average of 1925 fps at 600 and the 6.5x284 with the rechambered 24 inch barrel recorded an average of 1950 fps. the machine might not be perfectly accurate but both rifles had the same 12.5 min of elevation increase from a 200 yd zero. Each barrel could be different in its characteristics so this doesn;t mean every rifles chambered for these 2 rounds would have the same results however I had a barrel burner 6.5x284 giving almost the same velocity as a 260 which is way easier on barrels due to barrel length. I shoot almost every match that comes my way and the 6.5x284 along with the rest of the high capacity cartridges get about 1000 rnds before you start getting flyers at long range, when you shoot a lot which is how you learn to read the wind thats onle 12 or so matches with some practices. the 260 is about 2500 rnds so I can shoot it for a year before I set it back or toss it. the 6.5x284 barrel I took off and put a 30-284 barrel about 27 inches long instead. 27 inches is all I could get out of the barrels I bought, they come 28 inches long but the manufacturer suggests to cut off 1 inch off the muzzle end

If you want to converse its better to leave out hypocritical especially when it doesn't apply, The picture of your son with this rifle is an extremely fine use of a suppressor with the reduction of noise and recoil this could prevent the start of flinching which is death for fine marksmanship. I hope he got his deer. If he has any love for shooting take him to any range near you and their is a very good chance they have a juniors program for smallbore and have equipment they will loan out when kids are young and have the desire it is wonderfull to watch how fast they learn and smallbore is position shooting so they learn to shoot standing ,sitting kneeling amd prone with only themselves to support the rifle, no sand bags or benches. also .22's are cheap no barrel cleaning , no reloading. Kids do real well and learn fast. years ago the smallbore season started and my buddy didn't show so I called him and asked why and he said, I'm tired of getting beat by little girls. I thought that was pretty funny and the girls do every bit as good as the boys.
That's great. Yeah thanks for the heads up on a Jr shooting program.

Yep, got his buck. He's 3/3 one shot kills on mule deer with that rifle. He's also killed elk and javelina with other rifles and the same suppressor.

20221022_085440_resized.jpg

Do you think it's worth it on a lighter gun (5-6 lbs)considering you pay a premium for the oz saved on the gun.
Will be used in the whitetail woods as well.
My rifle weighs sub 9 lbs. I'm fine with as hunting with a can is way more my preference these days then not. I rarely shoot a rifle without one. Run a short titanium can, lighter rifle set up, and you'll like be happy.
PRC.jpg