Ultimate mountain rifle

Guys on here know my ultimate mountain rifle is a 338 Norma 8lb. 12 oz.It is no problem to shoot and is well past a 1000 yrd proven rifle.I have friends that shoot 1000 bench and just switch barrel and action to different stock from light to heavy gun, and have shoot better groups set up in light.Its not all about how heavy your rifle is.Just like Ernie on here can do outstanding shooting with a pistol, that surpases many avreage rifle shooters.

Guys on here know my ultimate mountain rifle is a 338 Norma 8lb. 12 oz.It is no problem to shoot and is well past a 1000 yrd proven rifle.I have friends that shoot 1000 bench and just switch barrel and action to different stock from light to heavy gun, and have shoot better groups set up in light.Its not all about how heavy your rifle is.Just like Ernie on here can do outstanding shooting with a pistol, that surpases many avreage rifle shooters.

Is that weight with or without a scope? And what scope are you running? Sounds like a sweet rifle.

I hope the finished scoped gun to be 8 to 9 lbs. looking at the ballistics I can't find much of a difference between the .280 ai, the 7 swm, and the 7 Saum when shooting 180 Berger's.

I hope the finished scoped gun to be 8 to 9 lbs. looking at the ballistics I can't find much of a difference between the .280 ai, the 7 swm, and the 7 Saum when shooting 180 Berger's.
There's no reason to limit yourself to short magnums or to a short action at all.

The difference between a long and short action is only an ounce or two depending on the action.

to seat a 7mm 180 up close to the lands with any short-mag I believe you'll need a long action, or single feed the short action. But maybe the plan was to use a long action even if you went with a wsm or saum?

Is that weight with or without a scope? And what scope are you running? Sounds like a sweet rifle.
Thats scoped w/Mark 4 6-20x50 for weight savings.Ive shot several bulls a 50-60 yrds with it, kinda would like lower power in case grizz mainly,but figure that might just be point n shoot.It is a Defiance braked 26'' ABS wrap,Lonewolf summit.A March 3-24x52 would be my
dream scope,they just really proud of them

Thats scoped w/Mark 4 6-20x50 for weight savings.Ive shot several bulls a 50-60 yrds with it, kinda would like lower power in case grizz mainly,but figure that might just be point n shoot.It is a Defiance braked 26'' ABS wrap,Lonewolf summit.A March 3-24x52 would be my

If I could pick 2 scopes free in the entire world, I would choose a Nightforce NXS 8-32x56 MOAR HS/ZS, and a March March-X 8-80x56 for 1K+ shooting.

Always dreamed of owning a NF, and have shot through several, but never had the scratch. And I have heard awesome things about March scopes.

I'm looking at at VX6 3-18x50 for my 338 RUM. My rifle would weigh in a bit under 9.5 lbs. Not sure how reliable the CDS system is though. Funny you mention the March... definitely my dream scope too... all the performance at a good weight... but like you say, just way too much $$$.

I think everybody is going to have a different definition for their own "ultimate mountain rifle". I sure am happy with my 338 RUM.

In mountains

Attachments

• 338 chute.jpg
    338 chute.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 125
Brandon here is a thought as I have one and it shoots 168 Bergers at 2880,and 6 inch group at 1000yards . Cooper Excalibur 280 AI Vortex 4-16x44HSLR BDC reticle 8.5LBS loaded with a 24inch barrel you could get a little lighter if you went with the wood stocked classic as I hear they are about 1 LB lighter but I don't like wood so I opted for the heavier . No build time no wait great shooting rifles ,and as close to custom as it gets, and they do also come with factory breaks if you are into breaks .

Im having a 280ai built right now, 25" barrel throated for 168 LRAB's. Hoping to have it finish around 8 lbs with Leupold VX-6 3-18x44. Not sure about 1000 yards on a elk though, I think 600-750 would be where I would want to max out on elk with it though.... If you were wanting 1000 yards on elk I would think you would want a 180 grain (if staying 7mm going pretty fast) STW, Norma or RUM. Or step up to .308 size and go with a 300 rum or Norma Mag with one of those 230 hybrids humming along....

my thoughts on this one will be verry diferent than most of you.

l live in turkey and the main thing l hunt is the İBEX. the terrain thay live in and the hikeing that goes on at the hunt can become a challange to eaven the fitest hunter here on this forum. but any kind of mountain hunt is really tireing. l own a HEYM SR 30 7mm rem mag. its a great rifle for the job but eaven a rifle like that seems to way a TON after a short hike..!!!

rifles are so expencive here ( 9000 dolars for a standard sauer 202 ) and we can not get those costom stuff most you guys Show off. l would love to own my own one of them tactical looking long and heavy barreled rifles like most you guys have in your Arsenal :) l only have one rifle :/

now but when it comes to mountain hunting that involves hikeing and all that. l wouldnt want to carry anything with a heavy barrel or lets just say anything sniper rifle looking. bigger the round heavyer the barrel ( this goes for standard non heavy barrels also ) so with all my experience in the mountains l would never get anything bigger than a 300 win mag.
and for under 800 yards you really dont need anything bigger than the 7mm rem mag or the 300 win mag because thay will easyly drop the animal from those distances. and lets not forget we are trying to put a hole in the animal not drill a hole in the side of the mountain in the process :) dont get me wrong l would love to own one of them fancy long range mac millan stocked long range rifles but it wouldnt be my choice for a proper mountain hunt. but it would be verry nice to have one in the car and take süper long shots off the side of the road :)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.