Opening bolt face on bolt that has Sako extractor?

sambo3006

If a Remington 700 bolt has a Sako extractor already installed, what is involved in opening up the bolt face? Specifically a 0.378" bolt face, wanting to open up to 0.473" diameter. Can the existing Sako extractor be used and what kind of money am I talking about to have it done?

Thanks!

Sam

If a Remington 700 bolt has a Sako extractor already installed, what is involved in opening up the bolt face? Specifically a 0.378" bolt face, wanting to open up to 0.473" diameter. Can the existing Sako extractor be used and what kind of money am I talking about to have it done?

Thanks!

Sam

The simple thing to do after you open the bolt face is to buy a new extractor for the case head
size needed. cost about $30.00 for the part and a few bucks more for the kit.

The existing one may be two thick and bottom out on the tenon bolt recess when it tries to
snap over the case head

J E CUSTOM

Sam, the extractor cut in your current bf will be deeper , (closer to the fire pin hole) than what is required for the extractor used in a standard .473 bf. Thus the only way to do it properly would be to fill the existing sako cut in the bolt by machining a small piece of steel to fit the existing cut slot and hole and to fill the small plunger hole that holds the plunger and spring. Soldiering them in place. Then remachine the new extractor to the given specs.

Problem is this is a lot harder than it sounds and would be twice the expense of a simple sako instal on a fresh bolt.
I would advise you start with a new unaltered bolt or just order a PTG bolt set up the way you want for about the same cost as what the work involved in fixing your bolt would be.

Sam, the extractor cut in your current bf will be deeper , (closer to the fire pin hole) than what is required for the extractor used in a standard .473 bf. Thus the only way to do it properly would be to fill the existing sako cut in the bolt by machining a small piece of steel to fit the existing cut slot and hole and to fill the small plunger hole that holds the plunger and spring. Soldiering them in place. Then remachine the new extractor to the given specs.

Problem is this is a lot harder than it sounds and would be twice the expense of a simple sako instal on a fresh bolt.
I would advise you start with a new unaltered bolt or just order a PTG bolt set up the way you want for about the same cost as what the work involved in fixing your bolt would be.
+1 Sound advise.

I was wondering about that looking at it, that's why I asked the experts. Definitely sounds like it would be more trouble and expense than starting out with a PTG with the correct bolt face. Thanks guys!

I wouldn't even try to go up on the existing bolt with an aftermarket extractor. I second the new bolt. For feeding, going up is a lot easier than going down in diameter.

Now, after getting a new PT&G bolt with the proper face, you can "deal' with the feed issues you'll have going from .223 to a bigger diameter cartridge.

Never said I was going to use an action with feed rails set up for a .223 family cartridge.....:cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.