Only 1 Rifle selection?

If you like a 280 AI, why not just get the good old boring 7mm rem mag? My pick for what you describe would be a 300 win mag.......you don't need to look any further. Specifically a Nosler model 21.

Weatherby 30-378. End of story...

The 338-378, probably better, but the velocities you can get out of the 30-378 are close to GOD

Just because I like to swim upstream...

And I am not traditionally a supporter of most things Nosler...

The 28 Nosler will provide you with the velocity and energy required for most anything that walks the North American continent. The best part of this suggestion is the availability of Peterson brass instead of that awful Nosler product. And it's on sale!

View attachment 481525

Now ADG has the 28 Nosler brass available as well:

View attachment 481539

I use the Badlands 7mm Super SD2 bullets in the 150 gr. weight. The performance of this bullet is amazing.

Look at some of the ballistic data available:

View attachment 481528

If you choose the Badlands 150 gr. you will work with your gunsmith on the leade and throat length. Simple adjustments.

Enjoy the process!

:)
Will the 150 SBD2 feed in a standard 700 LA or does it need to be single fed? What's your coal?

Personally, I really like the fast twist 7s/270s for a do it all rifle.
The 7mm in any flavor is probably more practical but the 270 is right there too and in my opinion has a bit more panache.
Go with at least an 8" twist in either of them, choose your favorite mono and go kill whatever you point it at.
Good luck.
I am building a custom 7mm wildcat to shoot the 150gr SBD IIs and am confident it will kill anything in the lower 48 that I tangle with.

Personally, I really like the fast twist 7s/270s for a do it all rifle.
The 7mm in any flavor is probably more practical but the 270 is right there too and in my opinion has a bit more panache.
Go with at least an 8" twist in either of them, choose your favorite mono and go kill whatever you point it at.
Good luck.
I am building a custom 7mm wildcat to shoot the 150gr SBD IIs and am confident it will kill anything in the lower 48 that I tangle with.
Howdy, what you building there young man. 🤓

I see the advantages of a 7saum over a 7PRC. I don't see the advantages of a 280ai over a 7PRC.

My vote would be a for a 7saum in a medium action.
Curious what you think the advantages the 7saum has over 280ai. 7 saum now has one manufacturer of even decent brass and will never have ammo on a shelf. 7 saum doesn't perform better.

Curious what you think the advantages the 7saum has over 280ai. 7 saum now has one manufacturer of even decent brass and will never have ammo on a shelf. 7 saum doesn't perform better.
..other than the use of a short action for all intents and purposes the difference hain't worth talking about. Myself I've unloaded my gun cabinet and reloading bench of everything that has not stood the test of time. The anxiety of "out of stock", scarcity of every reloading component just ain't worth it these days. If a cartridge isn't based off the 6br, /06, 308, 300wm or 7mag case it doesn't live here anymore. I'll give up that 100-200 fps that no animal or target will miss. Down to about 3 powders also, Varget, V-133 and mother's milk H-4350, life is easier and simpler these days..

A brief comment. I have 3 X 280 AI's, only 1 280, only 1 7mm rem mag, only 1 7mm WSM and 1 7mm Ultra Mag. Oh, forgot to mention i also have 1 7mm Mauser. The 280AI and the 7mm Mauser are my go-to rifles. I load all of these with Fail Safe bullets from Combined Technology. I know that they are no longer available to the public, but I have been buying them up at gun shows whenever I find them.

My "one rifle" would be a long action set up with 3.850" magazine, so I'm not always fighting mag length vs. optimum bullet jump. It would be chambered for a big-for-caliber case so I have plenty of flexibility for powder type and charge weight without having to worry about trying to eke out a little more muzzle velocity. It would have a fast twist that works with long all-copper bullets. Ideally, Peterson or Lapua brass would be available.

My favorite chambering is 28 Nosler. Both ADG and Peterson make brass.

For a little less recoil and muzzle blast, I like .264 Win Mag. Norma makes .264 Win Mag brass, but I use Peterson 7mm Rem Mag brass necked down to .264.

For a little more range, I like 300 Lapua Magnum. I use Lapua brand .338 Lapua Magnum brass necked down to .308.

Howdy, what you building there young man. 🤓
I've got a wildcat getting assembled a buddy designed. It's designed around an extensively modified 7.62 NATO case and basically matches factory 7mm mag performance. He's got a bunch of guys running it with Starline SRP brass, Federal SRM primers, 6.5 Staball.

Last edited:
Any of the medium to larger 7's or 30's will fit the bill. I have a 7LRM that I just love. Almost impossible for me to leave home without it! I wouldn't recommend that caliber to you but only because brass is a pain in the *** to get and from what I've heard on a Gunwerks podcast Gunwerks is probably going to stop chambering rifles in it. Since it's their cartridge it might make things even harder in the future to procure. It has knocked elk right off their feet and taken any and all critters I have shot it at from 50 to 850 yards with 180's. Performance wise its right around the 7mag realm, maybe just a little more. The 7mm PRC looks pretty good as well and should be readily available in most places very soon. I have not had the privileged of shooting one yet but my buddy just picked one up and we will be shooting it very soon. Only time will tell if it makes the cut but from what I hear its a pretty cool round. I do not have a Sherman but would love to someday, I have only heard good things but have never even seen anyone around here that has one so I can't give any advice on that. I do have a 300 Win and a 300PRC as well and I love them. I am shooting 199 grain Hammer Hunters in the PRC, right around 3100 FPS, and its just seems to kill on contact so far. I shoot 181grain Hammers in the 300 Win Mag but have not taken any game with it yet. The choices are endless in today's market. My suggestion would be get something that is readily available in your area so you can always shoot it! Nothing worse than having a rifle you cant get components for or ammo to shoot. Good Luck and let us know what you decide.
If you ever make it to Spokane you can shoot any sherman I own and a 7 prc.

Recent Posts