Rifle Selection

Because elk is on the mix, from 100-800Y, and working towards at least 1200Y, "my" choice is .33 cal - .338 RUM/Lapua/Norma Mag, etc. - a chambering that delivers enough velocity and energy with the right bullet to harvest an elk humanely. Shot placement and the NUT behind the trigger remain the most significant factors. If he stays under 800Y, there are more options.

Berger sells .338 LM with 250/300 EH, and 300 OTM, HSM sells 250/300 ORM for .338 RUM/LM for the 1200Y elk poke.

Berger's ammo loaded with 300 OTM shows an MV of 2725 FPS. At my altitude at 1200Y, it has a 1701 FPS and 1927 FT-LBS.

As far as gunsmith, contact @Alex Wheeler.
Lapua and Hornady and Nosler all have factory 338 lm as well!

Good friend of mine is interested in purchasing a custom rifle and I'm trying to give him some help. Here is what I've heard from him:
1) Wants a custom build. He's owns several nice factory rifles (Sako, Tikka, etc.) but really wants to go with a custom build, it will be his first.
2) Utilize factory ammo only--he is not interested in reloading. I've offered to help on this but he really wants to shoot factory ammo for a variety of reasons so lets assume he will only shoot quality factory loads.
3) Use for hunting 100-800 yards and target work out to at least 1200. Game would be whitetail at distance, mule deer and elk.
4) Heavy enough to be easy to target shoot but not a 20lb gun either.
5) He is willing to spend good money to get it right, cry once buy once thought process.

Looking for:
1) What gunsmith/shop would be a good fit given no reloading
2) Thoughts on calibers given factory ammo only constraint

Thanks for your input!
Have him call Justin Linenbach-Kinport Peak Rifles 208-961-6932. Does Fantastic work! He has done 4 rifles for me, and I am very pleased. 7PRC would be the "Easy Button".

PH

I would give the great folks at Barbour Creek a call and let them build a rifle that they promise .5 MOA at 1100 yds. 7PRC or 300WM would be my choice. Many many options can be had. It's probably a half day drive to Eufaula, AL and you more than likely can shoot it at their ranges when you pick it up. Attend a course while your there.

An Origin action, Proof CF 7PRC prefit, Triggertech trigger, and MDT HNT26 or other stock of his choice with a bedding block and bolting it together yourself in 15 minutes is the easy button. Barrel changes down the road are also a lot more cost efficient and fast.

The money saved over paying a smith all their fees to build it will get you a nice optic.

...pick a cartridge that HAS STOOD THE TEST OF TIME, NOT something that be a distant memory..

I wonder how many people thought that back in the 60's and bought 250 savages and the like that now you can't find ammo for when the 7RM and 300WM had just been released...

There's several cartridges released in recent years that are undoubtedly here to stay and offer significant advantages over half century old case designs.

Good friend of mine is interested in purchasing a custom rifle and I'm trying to give him some help. Here is what I've heard from him:
1) Wants a custom build. He's owns several nice factory rifles (Sako, Tikka, etc.) but really wants to go with a custom build, it will be his first.
2) Utilize factory ammo only--he is not interested in reloading. I've offered to help on this but he really wants to shoot factory ammo for a variety of reasons so lets assume he will only shoot quality factory loads.
3) Use for hunting 100-800 yards and target work out to at least 1200. Game would be whitetail at distance, mule deer and elk.
4) Heavy enough to be easy to target shoot but not a 20lb gun either.
5) He is willing to spend good money to get it right, cry once buy once thought process.

Looking for:
1) What gunsmith/shop would be a good fit given no reloading
2) Thoughts on calibers given factory ammo only constraint

Thanks for your input!
My buddy was thrilled with his factory ammo only gun from GAP. I would recommend them as someone who builds pretty quick. Everything was professional. They will build what you ask. Where you don't know or don't ask they will promote good components. They are a top dollar shop, but I suspect you almost can't go wrong with them, even as a newb. Be sure to tell them a weight, or they will build it as a truck axle.

Cartridges are an issue and a non-issue. Building a 30-06 guarantee's ammo availability. Building a PRC or Creedmoor will guarantee you get a modern chamber shape that aligns better than ever to ammo produced. If you see it going the way of the 7 Rem Ultra Mag. Buy the ammo you need to finish out the barrel life. Then pay GAP to fit the next barrel. These things are not forever guns.

He'll, I'm still getting rounds downrange in a 7-30 Waters!

Last edited:
Tons of great feedback, thanks to everyone. This forum never fails! I'm sharing the thread with him and encouraging a call with several of the builders recommended. Will let yall know what he decides and then get a range report. May take a while but will be fun to see what happens. And then...on to the scope!!! :) That's for another thread...thanks everyone!
Chris