Caliber selection for my next rifle?

Currently, no. This is all the end goal. I have shot almost to 800 yards, but just for fun. Wanting to ensure my rifle and ammunition are up to the tax so then I can focus on myself.
Lots of caliber options out there for what you want. Not sure what will be the best for you, that's a personal choice at this point, another thing to consider is the terrain you hunt the most. If most of your shots will be under 300 with the occasional across the canyon at 700 or if it's just the opposite where most of your shots will be long and the occasional close one.

With a long action, about anything in the 7mm or 30 cal will do just fine.

If you don't mind a bit more recoil (or plan on using a good brake), look at 28 Nosler, 300PRC, 300 Norma, etc.

The age old, and going strong, 300 WM is always a good choice.

I personally would not go long action unless I was planning something in the magnums. There are a lot of good choices in short (or medium) actions that are non-magnum. Something in the 6.5 PRC, or 7mm family.

I just built a 6.5 RPM on a long action. It's a bomb. I'm getting 3120 fps with 156 bergers in a 26" Hart barrel. The ballistics are flatter than my 257 Roy and energy better than 300 win at 600 yards. It's not the usual belted double radius from Weatherby. They took the 6.5-284 and stretched the case nearly .4" all in a standard bolt. 120 FPS faster than my sons PRC with the same bullet.
I know we are all proud of what "we" shoot but the RPM has proven itself to me.
Good hunting.

Here is my thoughts my last two builds have been old faithful cartridges 270 win and 243 win my next might be a 7mm Mag or 300 win Mag. With the way the economy is going and the availability of reloading products I picked cartridges that you could hopefully again some day pick up at the Mom and Pop shops in the middle of Wyoming or at your local Bass Pro. They are proven rounds and if you pick the right barrel and builder most custom guns will shoot factory ammo MOA or less no problem!!!

300 win and 7 rem mags are both very capable of 700 plus yards. I'm building a rifle right now for 1k yard deer/elk and went with a 7 rem mag. It's also twisted to shoot 180 bergers/eldms and throated accordingly. Accuracy is king but bring enough bullet to do the job.

I've got 40 yrs of Parker-Hale 270 under my belt. Have added 308 and 6.5PRC to my stable, but on this upcoming Elk hunt I'm gettin' twitchy to use the 270. It's ALL in the shot placement!

Whatever you go with, it is not a bad idea to shop for the factory ammo and reloading components that you need before you decide.

Every new rifle in my safe after February 2020 is only purchased after I have the brass and some factory ammo (or a lot of factory ammo that came with the used 7WSM). And I'm sticking with calibers that I hope will continue to be more readily available than e.g., PRC cartridges will have to wait.

There aren't any wrong choices. I just can't help being a cheerleader for the 338 Norma Magnum. A custom rifle in that caliber is nothing short of amazing. The two we have are the most accurate rifles we have ever owned.

If you're set on long action, and you want something to handle bears, along with deer and elk, how about a 340 Weatherby, brass is a little expensive, But not hard to find, and it will shoot as far as many custom cartridges while still giving you plenty of punch at long range, just my 2 cents.

Recent Posts