Only 1 Rifle selection?

LOL I can't believe I forgot about the 30-06. That was my choice for the last 30 years for big game hunting out to 400 yards. And my good old Winchester FWT 30-06 has filled that bill very well. But recently I needed more range so I opted for a Remingtom 700 7mm RM with 1-8" twist. I'll load 180 gr bullets from 2800 fps to 2850 fps depending on the accuracy. That should mimic the recoil of my current 30-06 180 gr load recoil. And I can always load hotter if needed or desired.

264 WM with 30" Shelen barrel 1 in 8 twist, 160gr Woodleigh PPSN 3267FPS and 85gr HP at 3824fps. Moose to mice. LOL

Lots of options here. I'm also thinking the .284 caliber. While I do agree on the 280 AI, the .284 win is another great option. Over looked obviously on this thread mostly but more than capable of handling an Elk out to half a mile. 7 PRC is another. Hard to beat the performance of the heavier 7mm bullets. 160-180 are ideal for the needs of the OP

Have it narrowed down between 2 calibers: the 280AI and the 6.5PRC necked up to 7mm. Both are short actions, but different bolt face. Appears that the 7-6.5 PRC has about +4g of case capacity. Would be rolling my own rounds, so buying factory is not a concern. Any draw backs other than securing the 7-6.5 reamer?

Have it narrowed down between 2 calibers: the 280AI and the 6.5PRC necked up to 7mm. Both are short actions, but different bolt face. Appears that the 7-6.5 PRC has about +4g of case capacity. Would be rolling my own rounds, so buying factory is not a concern. Any draw backs other than securing the 7-6.5 reamer?
If your going with a SA, the 6.5 PRC is the one to go with. The 280AI is a LA cartridge.

Lots of options from 6.5 thru 7.62 caliber. Standard thru magnum, short and long actions. Recoil is one thing that needs to be considered using heavy bullets in magnum cartridges. Some don't mind heavy recoil while some just can't shoot them. Lots of things to consider but definitely a lot of great options

If you're interested in a 280 AI I have a Jarrett Rifle in a McMillan Sako Hunter stock with 500 rounds through it. Comes with a Murphy Precision Titanium 30 moa piccatiny base or the Talley bases it came with.

Two tunes: 175 Nosler Partition and a 150 BT, both shoot lights out.

Kenny Jarrett built more 280 AI's than any other player out there. He made the round popular before it was ever popular on here over twenty years ago.