One Scope - Mulitple Roles - Your Pick

I'm confident my SWFA 3-15x42 can handle whatever I throw it on for the next 30 years. I wish I could afford them on all my rifles

This...they are also surprisingly compact scopes for everything they bring. My only complaint is hunting with them in the thick woods of Georgia. The turrets hit twigs and branches. The SWFA is definitely a top contender for a rugged, do it all scope.

7DA298E1-EC49-4CF4-99B2-CC4B03669724.jpeg

Here is a SWFA on my 700 5R. It's not a compact scope, but it's not obnoxious either.

Attachments

• 67611588-509C-4F05-90DE-95A1B2E2410B.jpeg
    67611588-509C-4F05-90DE-95A1B2E2410B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 226
Last edited by a moderator:
You could stay with the Nightforce brand and rock the NXS 2.5-10x42 (has 1/4 MOA turrets and plenty of reticle choices) or the SHV 3-10x42 with 1/4 MOA turret and forceplex reticle (even has illumination now). Both of those are about 19-20 oz and 30mm tube.

Definitely love the NXS, haven't had the SHV but I could definitely tell the difference in clarity between the NXS and ATACR. Didn't want to go backwards but you are absolutely right they are excellent choices.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. The SWFA is definitely an abuse hog and can take a licking but lacks the clarity/contrast I prefer. The S&B is definitely one of the best out there but weighs just about as much as my nightforce which defeats the purpose of the original post. I think if I come across a good deal on a V6 or a VX6HD I may pull the trigger but I would only be saving about 10-11 ounces which I guess is substantial when building for lightweight, but my main focus wasn't lightweight so my total carry weight right now is 9.4 pounds. What I may try to do is get my scope closer to the bore and see if that will eliminate the "top heavy" feeling. I can also add my bipod while carrying to even out above/below bore and still be right around a 10 pound rifle. At any rate all suggestions were appreciated and the quest to build MY perfect rifle is almost complete.

In reality, by the time you can't see the reticle it is past legal shooting hours anyway. An illuminated reticle was not a deal breaker for me either.

Agreed! Even if I can see the reticle (have a few scopes with illuminated reticle) and the game, my concern is I cannot see what is behind my target at that time anymore.

"Always be sure of your target and what is in front of it and behind it. Once you pull the trigger, you cannot take back the bullet!"

One of my 6.5x284's was built to serve the same purpose, with the criteria for the scope identical to those you have listed. I found the March 2.5x25x52/SFP,MOA with the MTR-3 reticle meets the criteria you have listed, and after 3+ years of heavy use, has performed flawlessly. It has become my first choice in a lightweight, compact hunting optic that has top tier glass, tracking, and durability/reliability. As a point of reference, I also own, NFNSX, ATACR/F1), S&B PMII, VortexAMG, Leupold, Huskemaw.

I've been looking for the same "one scope". I haven't bought one yet, but have not found anything that looks better than a Leupold VX6HD 3-18 w/TMOA reticle.

One of my 6.5x284's was built to serve the same purpose, with the criteria for the scope identical to those you have listed. I found the March 2.5x25x52/SFP,MOA with the MTR-3 reticle meets the criteria you have listed, and after 3+ years of heavy use, has performed flawlessly. It has become my first choice in a lightweight, compact hunting optic that has top tier glass, tracking, and durability/reliability. As a point of reference, I also own, NFNSX, ATACR/F1), S&B PMII, VortexAMG, Leupold, Huskemaw.

Wow! That is quite a list to compare to and a great track record for the March. I would really like to see one in person. Definitely a strong contender. I see they offer a military discount - anyone know the discount percentage?

I have several of the above listed. My vote fwiw is the VX6HD 3-18. Objective size is up to you, but I have been very happy with mine, 2 so far.

This is also one I've been looking at pretty hard. It is definitely more affordable than the rest, I don't know why I am hesitant about it. I'm sure the glass is right up there with the ATACR and the weight savings is substantial. I wonder how the turrets are as a comparison. The NF has about the best turrets I've ever felt.

I would also look at TRACT optics and SIG SAUER. Neither seem to have a great following on here but they seem to be getting good reviews. I have a smaller SIG on a compact 30-06 that has done very well. TRACT is 2 guys that left NIKON and only sell direct.

I really like the March as a comparable optic to the ATACR, I've had them side by side shooting and the March being able to be turned down way out performed the ATACR in low light by a half hour, I was kinda shocked actually.
I'm hell on optics, leupolds just don't hack it in any form I've used, my buddy keeps trying them but the last one made it only 3 shots and went back in, I just can't trust them to hunt the whole season.
I have had great service out of the little NF HSV, I'm going to standardize and run all NF just so I have the MOAR on every rifle I use, I have never ran into glass being the issue, reticle and turrets though have to be up to the task and I just haven't found better in a whole line of optics. I do like the March though, if I only ran one rifle and needed one optic it would be the March because it is so versatile.

I really like the March as a comparable optic to the ATACR, I've had them side by side shooting and the March being able to be turned down way out performed the ATACR in low light by a half hour, I was kinda shocked actually.
I'm hell on optics, leupolds just don't hack it in any form I've used, my buddy keeps trying them but the last one made it only 3 shots and went back in, I just can't trust them to hunt the whole season.
I have had great service out of the little NF HSV, I'm going to standardize and run all NF just so I have the MOAR on every rifle I use, I have never ran into glass being the issue, reticle and turrets though have to be up to the task and I just haven't found better in a whole line of optics. I do like the March though, if I only ran one rifle and needed one optic it would be the March because it is so versatile.

Thank you for that info. I have to get a price on the March.... quick question though - if you are going to standardize to NF, would you be interested in selling your March?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts