Help me pick a scope

This is what lrh is for, to encourage you to spend lots of money
Ain't that the truth. It's so easy to spend so much money. $2k for a rifle, $2k for a scope, $3k for a spotting scope, $2k for binoculars, $700 for a rangefinder, $700 for a kestrel. Lol

Maybe that's just me, but I don't think so. The stuff adds up so fast!
Be willing to spend up to 2x for the glass as compared to the rifle.
At some point this becomes increasingly difficult. It's hard to say that you must spend $4k on a scope for a $2k rifle. At $2k you're getting a lot of scope and while the $4k scopes are extremely nice, it's hard to say that it's a must for anything ~1k yards.

Ain't that the truth. It's so easy to spend so much money. $2k for a rifle, $2k for a scope, $3k for a spotting scope, $2k for binoculars, $700 for a rangefinder, $700 for a kestrel. Lol

Maybe that's just me, but I don't think so. The stuff adds up so fast!

At some point this becomes increasingly difficult. It's hard to say that you must spend $4k on a scope for a $2k rifle. At $2k you're getting a lot of scope and while the $4k scopes are extremely nice, it's hard to say that it's a must for anything ~1k yards.
"Up to". Not a "must do". There's a lot of relatively cheap factory rifles today that will shoot MOA or better and that's what people turn to for a bargain hunting/LR rig. If you're buying a 450.00-900.00 factory rifle that puts you in the 900-1800.00 glass range using that formula which puts you into a whole lot of high quality glass.

Just for clarification, I personally wasn't promoting a $4000.00 dollar scope. In my opinion, and for the way I use my rifles, you can buy a whole lot of scope for less than $1,500. I have looked through high dollar scopes, and done side by side comparisons between them and a 50mm VXIII. Personally, I couldn't see the difference other than in some cases my Leupold actually looked better to me. But again, That is just my observation for the way I hunt. My only point was don't buy a cheap pile of chinese junk and then cry when it lets you down. I know people who will not pay more than $300.00 for a scope, they insist that is their limit. I have also seen the way they shoot, and helped try to blood trail a deer shot at 75yds, until I ran out of blood . Maybe that's all they need! I personally don't need to spend 4000.00 dollars for what I do.

Just for clarification, I personally wasn't promoting a $4000.00 dollar scope. In my opinion, and for the way I use my rifles, you can buy a whole lot of scope for less than $1,500. I have looked through high dollar scopes, and done side by side comparisons between them and a 50mm VXIII. Personally, I couldn't see the difference other than in some cases my Leupold actually looked better to me. But again, That is just my observation for the way I hunt. My only point was don't buy a cheap pile of chinese junk and then cry when it lets you down. I know people who will not pay more than $300.00 for a scope, they insist that is their limit. I have also seen the way they shoot, and helped try to blood trail a deer shot at 75yds, until I ran out of blood . Maybe that's all they need! I personally don't need to spend 4000.00 dollars for what I do.
I've owned and looked through a whole lot of glass over the years.

There are a lot of cheap scopes that work well for the average guy who's not shooting a heavy recoiling cartridge, not shooting beyond 200yds, or in low light.

I've yet to find a "bargain" scope though with at least a 15x top end and 50mm or larger objective that will even stand up well to the recoil of a 7RM that has decent glass.

I through a ton of money away when I was young trying to convince myself that a cheap scope, under 400.00 then was all I'd ever need.

One day however I came across a 3.5-10x50mm Leupold and it changed the way I looked at scopes forever.

We literally shot coyotes with that scope on full moon nights without a spotlight with some frequency.

After the service as I'd matured a bit and got introduced to USO and MKIV Leupold and had the skills to shoot well beyond 400yds confidently with the right rig and I changed again.

Today, I find a lot of great scopes in the 900-2,200.00 range and I have yet to find a scope at a much higher price point that I think would ever justify me buying it because the quality differences just aren't that noticeable.

Now if I were shooting PRS or ELR matches that might change my opinion but for a good quality hunting optic that 900.00-2,200.00 range seems more than adequate.

Below that range it's too hit and miss and I don't care how good a company's warranty and customer service are, I want to know my scope is going to perform as expected all season long. There are few things more frustrating and aggravating that having a scope fail during the season and then be at the mercy of the company to get it repaired or replaced or worse, be on one of my dream hunts and have it fail when time is critical. Been there, done that and learned the hard way.

I agree 100% Rose! I don't even know how many 3.5x10x50mm A.O. heavy duplex Leupolds I have on hunting rifles. That is the scope that I use to compare all others to. If you take that scope, on a clear, full moon night, and get all of those really high dollar scopes out you will be surprised. Not many can hold up to that test. My brother loves NF, and pays a lot of money for them, but in that side by side comparison the NF can't stay with the old VXIII. I have done the same with very high dollar S&B scopes, but to my tired old eyes the Leupold held up at least as well. We use heavy duplex because when you start to lose light the crosshair is the first thing that goes. The heavy duplex looks like a normal fine duplex under low light, and they are available for reasonable prices sometimes.
I bought my Daughter a Rem 700 with a Simmons Presidential on it years ago. That was Simmons top of the line scope at the time. She was in a climber, in heavy timber, just before dark, when a wallhanger walked right under her. She could see him until she looked through her scope, and then things went dark. When we got home I pulled the simmons off and put a 3.5x10x50mm Leupold on, but it was too late then. I have recently started using a 30mm tube Zeiss Conquest with a #60 reticle (Illuminated Dot), they are amazingly bright in low light. But that is just my experience, Your results may vary!

Meopta= shott glass ,why pay more for less quality across the board,Meopta has made many scopes for Zeiss why is that? My Meopta Optka 6 is sfp 3x18x50 with the dichro Retacal in bdc . Thinking on another Cheers !.

I am between the following
-Burris XTR II 3-18x50 (really liked but a lot of people seem to talk bad about them)
-Vortex viper gen II similar magnification
If the above, I would spend the difference on an annealer and maybe tripod

-Eotech Vudu and no annealer or tripod
---but is it really worth 2x the money?
Easy Leupold VX3 3.5 x10

Just also found a bushnell DMR II that I am considering for 850 with vortex rings

Last edited:
I agree 100% Rose! I don't even know how many 3.5x10x50mm A.O. heavy duplex Leupolds I have on hunting rifles. That is the scope that I use to compare all others to. If you take that scope, on a clear, full moon night, and get all of those really high dollar scopes out you will be surprised. Not many can hold up to that test. My brother loves NF, and pays a lot of money for them, but in that side by side comparison the NF can't stay with the old VXIII. I have done the same with very high dollar S&B scopes, but to my tired old eyes the Leupold held up at least as well. We use heavy duplex because when you start to lose light the crosshair is the first thing that goes. The heavy duplex looks like a normal fine duplex under low light, and they are available for reasonable prices sometimes.
I bought my Daughter a Rem 700 with a Simmons Presidential on it years ago. That was Simmons top of the line scope at the time. She was in a climber, in heavy timber, just before dark, when a wallhanger walked right under her. She could see him until she looked through her scope, and then things went dark. When we got home I pulled the simmons off and put a 3.5x10x50mm Leupold on, but it was too late then. I have recently started using a 30mm tube Zeiss Conquest with a #60 reticle (Illuminated Dot), they are amazingly bright in low light. But that is just my experience, Your results may vary!
Mine was an even cheaper model with the fixed parallax and the Ranging reticle.

I gave that rifle to a kid about 25 years ago that need his first "deer rifle" but was from a family that could not afford even a pawn shop or Walmart Special. It was a Model 70 CRF with the "boss" system.

I miss both the scope and the rifle but when I think of the look on that kid's face and what he's done with them since I get over it pretty fast.

The old Lupold LPS and LPS II were my next steps up in scope quality. Still have the 4.5-14x50 but it's on a rifle my nephew "borrowed" about six or seven years ago. 😁

any feedback to the above^^?
I would push you in that direction if I thought it was your answer but I can't. Just too many bad experiences with Bushnell over the years.

You'd be big money ahead waiting for a good deal on a VX5 or Zeiss Conquest in the long run.

Just a quick search on ebay and I came across this.

That would make a guy a great scope for his first rifle. and all the scope most people will ever need and more.

Last edited: