Older Remington 700 trigger

Good for you! I am no spring chicken myself. I won't have one on any of my rifles. Not because I think they are not safe when properly cared for, but because you will never adjust one to compare with a Shilen, which is of the same design (comparing apples to apples, here. Not apples to oranges). I won't have one because they were not manufactured to the exacting standards I desire on my custom rifles. I actually shoot long range, beyond 600yds and more. The Rem/Walker trigger just isn't up to the task! And, this IS Long Range Hunting site, isn't it?
I actually have an old Shilen wide-shoe in my custom .25-06 AI... While it is a spectacular specimen, I would say, the old Walker flat-backs with the wide-shoes can also be adjusted nearly as nice to about the same drop weight.

I would say the trigger doesn't make the gun shoot any better, I would say the man behind the trigger should be confident in his weapon. Heavy triggers suck to shoot, but, if you practice good shooting repertoire and form, then you can shoot anything good. The target shot in my avatar, was done so with a 100% stock Rem 700 5R .308, with a ****** X-Mark Pro trigger. My point being, did the groups get smaller when I put a perfectly-tuned Walker in it, yeah, maybe... But that gun was already shooting sub-1/4 MOA in stock form, so it's hard to get much better out of a factory rifle with precision handloads, regardless of the trigger.

i have recently acquired a 1984 BDL LH. Is it worth it to take the rifle to a smith to have a trigger job done or should I just replace it? I put a Timney on my .30-06 (newer production) and I love it. I have heard the older triggers are decent.

Old time Remington guy here. Had an AD inside my house due to trigger issue.Back in the day one could read trigger adjustment directions in the manual (As I remember).

I like the Timney. That said I have gone thru my Remingtons and re-adjusted so they do not fail rigorous impact testing. I used to get a great 2 lb pull with no issue. Since going back and checking them all, I found some susceptible to ADs. After fixing them, I can not get any to fail/ad.

Still I say...go for a Timney and learn t test for safety.

The rest of the fundamentals are easier to master, when you're not fighting a heavy pull. The Walkers can be good, but I've grown to prefer 1-1/2 to 2 pounds pull weight. I've gotten Walkers there, but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble when something like a Triggertech so easily gets there with one adjustment.

The rest of the fundamentals are easier to master, when you're not fighting a heavy pull. The Walkers can be good, but I've grown to prefer 1-1/2 to 2 pounds pull weight. I've gotten Walkers there, but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble when something like a Triggertech so easily gets there with one adjustment.
Sometimes we have to do what we can afford to do... And sometimes that leads to us learning skills that others might not learn from simply buying something ready to drop-in. I started learning how to do minor gunsmithing work when I was 16 and working in the gun store. Since then I've tried to do as much as I can myself...Which is everything short of the machine work, since I can't afford a lathe and mill right now. Later down the road, hopefully that will change. :cool: I like to consider most of life a learning experience, and try to make the most out of it.

Believe me, Mud. That's pretty much where I'm at right now. If I've learned anything in that last couple years it's that if you've got high end stuff, make darn sure it goes back to stock if that rifle gets traded in (or to anyone for that matter). I learned that with a Triggertech. Now my "good" trigger is an X-Mark from before they were recalled. I was able to bust the screws loose and get it to ~2-1/2 pounds. It's been on 4 different rifles so far, but always comes back off when the stick goes bye bye. Not because I like it though, but because I don't want to be liable for it if some nitwit can't keep his booger hook of the bang switch.

Yep, I have 2 stock (still glued screws/untouched) factory XMP's sitting in bubble-wrap just incase I get rid of a rifle. I don't sell guns, but if for some weird reason I do, that's what would be going back in it. That way I feel better about having no liability issues.

I have owned numerous Remington 700 rifles. I currently own 5 of them. I have adjusted the trigger pull on all of them down to around 3.5 lbs. I haven't adjusted the sear, because I have found it to be fine from the factory. I have never had an accidental discharge due to the Remington trigger, either the old factory trigger or the new XMark Pro. I've been able to adjust them to a good hunting trigger pull, while keeping them heavy enough to be safe while carrying and handling them. I have also adjusted the over-travel on a couple of them. Both adjustments are fairly easy and safely made. It increased accuracy by about 25 or 30 percent, too. But if you're worried, get a gunsmith to work the trigger.
I am glad you have had great luck with the remington trigger, I have had great luck with three out of four of them, but now there all jewell or timney. I just don't trust them, maybe you guy's haven't seen a failure like I have but I am sure that some people have seen them hence all the legal trouble, I just said hey no harm no foul and tossed it in the trash. I love the remmy but that is the only failure of any trigger mechanism that I own that decided to let loose like that! I fire ten's of thousands of rounds per year and I have never had a pistol, shotgun, military surplus rifle, or my ruger 77 or winchester model 70 discharge on it's own. Has a glock ever discharged due to a faulty trigger? Not that I have ever heard of.
Now the day my Jewell goes bank when I flip the safety off is the day I quit using or recommending jewell.
Until then I thing getting an aftermarket trigger for the 700 is a good idea.:)
And I definitely wouldn't recommend joe blow go fooling with the walker trigger.

I am glad you have had great luck with the remington trigger, I have had great luck with three out of four of them, but now there all jewell or timney. I just don't trust them, maybe you guy's haven't seen a failure like I have but I am sure that some people have seen them hence all the legal trouble, I just said hey no harm no foul and tossed it in the trash. I love the remmy but that is the only failure of any trigger mechanism that I own that decided to let loose like that! I fire ten's of thousands of rounds per year and I have never had a pistol, shotgun, military surplus rifle, or my ruger 77 or winchester model 70 discharge on it's own. Has a glock ever discharged due to a faulty trigger? Not that I have ever heard of.
Now the day my Jewell goes bank when I flip the safety off is the day I quit using or recommending jewell.
Until then I thing getting an aftermarket trigger for the 700 is a good idea.:)
And I definitely wouldn't recommend joe blow go fooling with the walker trigger.
Most of that legal trouble was proven to be negligence on part of the gun owner, but it was easier (more profitable) for them to sue Remington than it was to take responsibility for negligently handling a firearm that caused the death of a friend of family member. Most of them even admitted later (after they got their settlement, of course :rolleyes:) to messing with the trigger or had some jackleg try to go a shade tree "trigger job" on the rifle. Don't take what you hear as face-value. Remember to believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you actually see. This world is full of half-truths and outright lies to push agendas.

And yes, I've seen lots of guns have AD's and ND's. I've even had an AD happen when a primer was sticking out a bit too far, and I released the bolt into battery (full spring tension) on one of my AR's, and the bolt face impact set it off. Ever since then, I ease the bolt home on a loaded round, unless using factory ammo. My point is, anything can fail, and weird crap can (and will) happen when you least expect it, no matter how careful you are.

If you read my post, I strongly recommended having a professional do the trigger job. I never recommend anyone attempt trigger work unless they have been properly trained how to do so by a professional gunsmith. And even then, it's at their own risk.

While in gunsmithing school in '91 I dis-assembled a Rem/Walker trigger to re-contour the finger lever and blue it, with the rest of the rifle, for a grade while in "metal finishing". The first thing that came to mind was it reminded me of the cheap, Japanese junk that was sold in the 5&Dime stores when I was a kid. I replaced it with a Shilen and used the bolt release and safety lever off of the old Rem/Walker. I still have that rifle with that same Shilen trigger, but I've re-barreled it a couple of times.

Its hard for me to believe that the liberals put on a show about remingtons triggers and it sent a shockwave thru the shooting community. The liberals scared people with their propaganda. It shows up on a lot of different forums.
Why do people believe anything from the news. The news agendas is to divide the shooters. That is their first step to try ang get their anti gun message to the masses.

I've heard Timney triggers are very good, but I dropped a Geissele Automatics trigger into my Sig MCX. They also make 3-4 different triggers for the Remington 700. I bought an ADL, bought a second hand BDL stock and worked on it and installed a Magpul bottom metal (Conversion kit) so now it takes 5 & 10 rd mags.
Didn't have to change my trigger. It's a sweet one already.

I have owned numerous Remington 700 rifles. I currently own 5 of them. I have adjusted the trigger pull on all of them down to around 3.5 lbs. I haven't adjusted the sear, because I have found it to be fine from the factory. I have never had an accidental discharge due to the Remington trigger, either the old factory trigger or the new XMark Pro. I've been able to adjust them to a good hunting trigger pull, while keeping them heavy enough to be safe while carrying and handling them. I have also adjusted the over-travel on a couple of them. Both adjustments are fairly easy and safely made. It increased accuracy by about 25 or 30 percent, too. But if you're worried, get a gunsmith to work the trigger.
You are right rem triggers are fully adjustable for pull weight over travel and sear ingagment. But a good cleaning with break parts cleaner followed by a good spray lube helps. I have used gun slick on the sear ingagment to reduce pull weight by 1lb.

I am a Remington employee and I had a rifle with a trigger issue. Had the rifle for a few years before I knew it had an issue. I've hunted with the gun many times and bagged my biggest buck with it. Never had an issue till two years ago. I was walking out of the woods one evening and unloaded it. As I was waiting for my buddy to come out I was screwing around and drawing up like a deer was running by and I flicked the safety off and hear click. Shocked, I cycled the action again and "click" as soon as the safety came off. Brought it home and once the gun warmed up it was fine. Waited for another cold day and left it outside for awhile and same thing happened. Well of course it was on the recall. I have at least 20 Remington rifles and that was the only one I have had issues with.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.