Older Remington 700 trigger

midmo

i have recently acquired a 1984 BDL LH. Is it worth it to take the rifle to a smith to have a trigger job done or should I just replace it? I put a Timney on my .30-06 (newer production) and I love it. I have heard the older triggers are decent.

Old triggers can be tuned and feel just like a Timney. I bought a used Remington 700 in 7mm that had been adjusted by a smith. It started having issues; the bolt would fall when it was below 20 degrees when closing the bolt. I would just buy a Timney or similar so as not to worry. I've put a Timney in all my Remingtons execpt for one.

The internal components of the 'old' Walker triggers appear to be stampings. The internals of the Timney you installed in your other rifle were CNC machined. The CNC machined component triggers have nice, sharp corners and edges , which is important especially where the sear and trigger engage. This creates that nice, crisp release that most find desirable. The corners/edges in the Walker triggers are rounded over, which won't allow for that "crispness". The pull on the Walker can be lightened and the sear engagement reduced but it will never equal the crisp, short pull that a well made aftermarket trigger will.

I completely agree, I just about blew my foot off years ago with the old Remington trigger, I say aftermarket trigger is the most important upgrade to the 700.

I have been selling 700's since 1985 and have never heard from anyone I sold one to have any problem's.I have 13 myself.Never a problem even on the ones I have lowered the trigger pull
I think where most problems occur is when people start jacking with the sear engagement and then lighten the pull weight to boot.

I don't know what was wrong with it, I just know when I flipped off the safety on a coyote WHAM! I was NO where near the trigger I was however seated against a tree and the muzzle was about three inches above my boot when it went off so yea muzzle control. It went off on my another time before I switched it to a timney. I believe I was unloading the chamber and it went off when grabbing the bolt. maybe the trigger was worn or dirty or defective it only failed two out of maybe 5 thousand rounds, But I will never trust another remington trigger.

When the old 700 trigger is PROPERLY adjusted I have never seen any problems with them. You usually can't get below 2 lbs safely with them but my preference is 2 1/2" lbs. I have three at this time with the old trigger. Only problem I ever had was the same as was mentioned earlier. I had one trigger that I had adjusted to 30 oz in the summer time on a 25-06 for groundhog shooting. I had to go a hair below proper sear engagement to get there. I took the same rifle on a deer hunt in late November when the tempters were in the high 20's that morning. Rifle would not cock. Adjusted trigger up to 2 1/2 lbs with a minimum of ten thousands sear engagement and have never had any problem in over 20 years with it again. One big danger I have seen over the years is rifles in hunting situations with TOO LIGHT of a trigger. If you can't feel your finger on the trigger before it trips it is too light for hunting for me. I have been around people that have had premature fires with light triggers and have either missed which was a blessing, or have the worst happen, put a bad shot and either loose the game or have a loooooog track.

If anyone is interested in a Gunsmith's opinion of this whole matter; here it is. in the 12+ years I have been in business I have seen a plethora of people with 1960's triggers up to the year they changed them to a "structurally superior" trigger. Along the way I have either replaced the guts with a trigger system that is on my opinion better than the trigger system they have now. the kit is easy to install and tune. the kit is from Jard. the triggers I tell people to get are Trigger basix, Jard, Trigger Tech, Jewell, Geisselle, Shilen, and Huber Concepts. I have only installed Timney at the owners request. My experience with timney has nearly been 100% horrific. I have had to rebuild, true up, re-cut sears, and basically re-manufacture the internals of every timney trigger I have worked with. the triggers listed above with the exception of timney are far superior. Also some are even less expensive.
Later Suckers... a K-frame is begging for my attention.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts