Older Remington 700 question

jstumbaugh

I have an older Remington 700 Classic in 243 that is the vintage where the safety must be set to fire in order to open the bolt. Is there any way to change this to function as the newer variations where the safety can stay engaged and the bolt cycled?

thanks,

Josh

Haha, good to know. Thanks for the info. It's a great gun and shoots well. Light and compact. My daughter had an AD when unloading this past season and luckily her safety training kept the muzzle in a safe direction. Definitely scared us both and made me think if there was any means to make the potential more avoidable. Thanks.

Yes you can modify the safety to allow operation of the bolt while on safe, the bolt lock feature is part of the safety lever and can be cut or ground off, or if you can find one perhaps on eBay you can fit one from the newer style safety as well, to give you a understanding I've inclosed this pic, the first 2 levers are from a 722 but the design and function are the same as the 700, 1st pic is a unmodified safety the 2nd was modified to allow Operation of the bolt while on safe as you're wishing to do, and the 3rd is from the newer factory style

Attachments

• IMG_1076.jpg
    IMG_1076.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 40