Old 06.

I respect authenticity and originality. I would use the same barrel as long as it is in good shape and can properly be re-installed. I would not change the trigger or reblue the gun. This is just me, but I'd want to pass the gun on, just as I'd used it originally.
I did re-blue my dad's Remington 870 Wingmaster. He had put it away damp,and a year later when it was pulled from the closet, it was all surface rusted, except the bore, which he had cleaned and lubed. The gun had no collector's val

I graduated High School in 71. I put a 700 BDL in 30-06 on layaway and paid $10 per week on it. The serial number says it was made in 1968. It has been a tack driver since the day I bought it and lots of deer have been taken with it. It is on its 3rd scope. The original scope was a Weaver 6x. It now has a 3.9 leupold on it. I bought the rifle and a RCBS rockchucker reloading kit at the same time. I'm still using all the equipment in that original kit. The original load that I settled on is still my go to load. Remington put out some good rifles in that time frame.

I graduated High School in 71. I put a 700 BDL in 30-06 on layaway and paid $10 per week on it. The serial number says it was made in 1968. It has been a tack driver since the day I bought it and lots of deer have been taken with it. It is on its 3rd scope. The original scope was a Weaver 6x. It now has a 3.9 leupold on it. I bought the rifle and a RCBS rockchucker reloading kit at the same time. I'm still using all the equipment in that original kit. The original load that I settled on is still my go to load. Remington put out some good rifles in that time frame.

Fast forward to 2006. I did the same thing! First semester senior year of high school put a .30-06 rem 700 ADL with a beautiful laminate stock on layaway. Slapped a Nikon prostaff on it and it's served me ever since. Taken several deer and hogs with it.

Remington 30-06 was first gun I can remember shooting, I was probably six and my father had to stand behind me to catch me and the gun. But I am glad I did because older brother was afraid and ended up with the 3030. I have shot whitetail,bear,and elk with that gun and now it rests in the safe until my kids are old enough to give it a go

Thanks everyone for sharing your opinions, thoughts and stories. Ultimately, I want to make this a rifle for my nephew. I don't have kids yet, and he's my dads only grandson that'll be able to hunt. My brothers other son has Down's syndrome. I just want to make it a special project. As far as recoil goes, my nephew is 15 and about 6-1 already. Little light in the pocket, but I can put a decelerator pad on it. My brother has never hunted, but my nephew wants to so I'm going to take him on a guided pig hunt next year during spring break.

I too suggest to just clean it up, replace the trigger ( or have that factory readjusted right) I wouldn't refinish anything, just get the barrel put back right, have some regular bedding put in the recoil lug mortise, free float the barrel. Put a Leupold 2x7 on it, and sight it in +1" @ 100 with some Reduced recoil loads. Have him shoot those pigs behind the ear. Oh yeah, put a Limbsaver Pad on in his LOP, much better than a Decelerator. :)

Good on you Havoc,,, that's what the out doors stuff is all about...

We do the same thing up here in our area,,, get the youngers Intrested in something out-side,,, either hunting,,, fishing,,, camping,,, visiting at the camp fire with lawn chairs,,, scouting and everything else to make the package complete...

Of course the instruments in hand improve the out-look,,, the story behind it makes the adventures worth more...

I haven't decided on the rest of my hand-me-downs,,, but I'm sure something will fall into place...

Good on you once again brother,,, the sharing of ideas makes it well worth the efforts...

Cheers from the North

Those older triggers were decent and can be adjusted. I agree recrown and bed. It might just shoot as is.

That is what I was thinking. I have adjusted a couple Remington triggers (3 screw) and they will tune up very nice. Just do an internet search on it and the info is there.

It would be a shame to spend the $150-$250 on a trigger when the one you have is plenty good. Spend the money on some ammo or components so he can train with it enough that when the time comes he's ready for that shot and knows his weapon and what it will do.

I was at my dads house the other day, as I was leaving he told me to wait. He went back into his house and brought back his 3006. He told me to put it in my gun safe. He bought this rifle when he was 18, Remington 700, BDL. He killed his first deer with it, I killed my first deer with it.

He hasn't shot it in probably 8 years and it has sat in his closet collecting rust and dust. I brought it home and decided to go through it, clean and lube it. Made sure the gun was clear, and squeezed the trigger, it was horrific. I pulled the bolt out and removed the barreled action from the stock. There was decades of neglect laying there. I ran a bunch of patches through the barrel until they came out clean. I removed the scope from the bases (crappy Simmons 3x9). Took some paper towels with some clp on them and wiped down the action and barrel, in one word, wow. I decided to pull the bases off as well, they've probably been on it since 1970 when he bought the rifle. I had to clear all the grime that was in the screw holes to get to the screws. When the were removed I looked down the barrel and the irons that were on the rifle appeared to be canted to the right. I took control of the action and barrel and the barrel freely twisted in my hand (WTH), that's not safe.

I've decided that I'm going to fix it up. I'm going to replace the barrel, trigger, rings, bases and optic. I'm leaning on the Geissele super 700 trigger, but having trouble with which barrel to get (keeping it a 3006) with the stock barrel contour. I also want keep the original stock, just refinish it.

My goal is to fix it and take my nephew on a guided hunt and when he gets his first animal, give him the rifle as a gift that'll last him a life time. Thanks for reading and recommendations.
View attachment 152870
you can probably find someone who has a 3006 factory takeoff barrel that is still in good shooting shape

You can sometimes find them on Ebay for a $100 or less too! If you do, get one that is 24". He will thank you later!

Wipe that stock down with some Mineral spirits or something, let dry, then smear it with Howards "Feed and Wax", about $7 from Home Depot. Danish Oil does swell too.

I'd clean everything, reinstall the barrel and check the headspace. Adjust the trigger to have a minimum of 1/32" sear engagement, adjust the weight of pull and adjust the over-travel to minimum plus a quarter turn and see how you like it, keeping it original.
Have a qualified gunsmith make sure everything is right.

I'd clean everything, reinstall the barrel and check the headspace. Adjust the trigger to have a minimum of 1/32" sear engagement, adjust the weight of pull and adjust the over-travel to minimum plus a quarter turn and see how you like it, keeping it original.
Have a qualified gunsmith make sure everything is right.

I vote for keeping it as original as possible because you can make a good shooter out of any donor rifle, but there is only one "Grandpa's" rifle, and it can't be replaced. Major refinishing and/or parts replacement just makes Grandpa's rifle less like Grandpa's rifle. Clean it up, make sure it is safe to shoot, but preserve the heirloom value. Go shoot/hunt it.

You can always do refurbishment/replacement work on the gun, later, if it turns out to be a poor shooter.

Last edited:
For inspiration, photo of my 30-06 on a mule deer hunt here in Washington yesterday. A simple Rem 700 CDL with a 6x Leupold. That rifle is accurate, handles well and has brought me quite an array of game, antelope, mule deer, black bear, elk and more!
c5CF7V6l.jpg

I hope your project restores your great old rifle and you get to enjoy it afield.

Regards, Guy

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.