Back to the old 30-06

Mine ended up being a Remington Model 700 Long Range 30/06 with a medium heavy barrel at 25". Solid Bell Carlson stock at 10.6 lbs Jewel target trigger and Nikon 3-12x42 optic.

My gun-smith friend lengthened out of throat for the longer 208gr bullets,,, that way the back of the bullet is flush with the powder at the neck of the brass where the shoulder tapper starts,,, the 30/06 cases come with loooooong necks to support the bullets keeping them straighter with less chances of run-out so long as we prep the brass correctly... Ha...

Keep the expander ball high inside the competition die helps decrease this run-out...

I basically end up with a poor man's 30/06 Sherman less the shoulder angle...

The Bell Carlson stocks come factory with piller bedding,,, the only thing we change was zero stress bedding,,, the action is pretty much Glued into the stock,,, """Not Really Glued""", but it's a son-of-a-gun getting it out of the stock for cleaning,,, tear-down every 2 ish years going this route...

The down fall of the BC stocks for most shooters are they are thick and bulky in the pistol grip area,,, folks with small hands might not like the way they grip onto the LR rifles,,, those of us with Grizzly Bear paws can handle them easy,,, I added a rear stock ammo pouch to mine for cheek weld,,, a gel Elbow pad fits the rear stock like a glove,,, then the ammo pouch cinched up tight around it to keep it firmly in place...

This was my first rifle to take me to the 600 and 900 meter gongs,,, the next outings were 1000 to 1260 metres,,, then we loaded some super hot 178gr ELD-M's and 185 Juggernauts for the 1700 meter clay bank shooting in Southern BC,,, HA,,, lots of Windage and elevation to get out that far...

The hot 178's worked the best after dropping below the sub sonic stage as they would fish-tail into the clay features...
I'm sure that some of them tagged the bank sideways... LOL...

It ain't the best of long distance shooting rig by any means,,, theres a fellow in Australia that shoots a 30/06 further then I can,,, him and his wife have some pretty Intresting videos on YouTube...

Yuppers, the old school is definitely a fun cartridge to play with in the shooting sports and hunting...

I only hope my 6.5/06 equals it in good times.

Cheers from the North

Was your dad in the Pacific, the European or the Burma theater? Mine was in the European, and both my uncles were in the Pacific, one Navy and one Marine. I don't know how old you are, but I'm 68, and I'm going elk hunting again this year. Of course, I live here in Colorado, so the cost of a tag is notably less that yours would be if you're currently living in THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS (I was born in Crosbyton, Texas and raised on a farm on the Panhandle). If you change your mind and want to go this Fall, I have a buddy (Retired Air Force) who is coming up this Fall to go with me (second season) and you'd be welcome. Bring the -06. It won't be alone.

Dad was in France. He never spoke of the war. Died of lung cancer at 36, 3 packs a day of Kents, unfiltered. I was 14 and never got to talk to him about it.
Thanks for the kind offer, sir. I have to reluctantly decline, tho. I'm 69 going on 199, lol. I only WISH I still lived in TX. I'm now a republican prisoner in the gulag of Commiefonia.
Good luck this year. Make some memories.

My desicion to try the 30-06 came to me when I picked a 30-06 case out of a batch of rifle brass I was prepping. Likely came in with other brass from the previous range session.

Handling the case is different to looking at a case diagram. I usually pass the case diagram in my Hornady book on the way to 308 Norma. Handling the case, it seemed to me to have a goose-neck. That caused something to click in my recesses, and I recalled reading about very efficient and accurate loads, that they favor long-necked cases where the bullets are not seated into the powder column.

On that basis I found and bought a mint condition LSA-65 in 30-06. So mint, the magazine follower and ramp are unmarked.

Haven't got to the accuracy part yet, but looking forward to it.

My desicion to try the 30-06 came to me when I picked a 30-06 case out of a batch of rifle brass I was prepping. Likely came in with other brass from the previous range session.

Handling the case is different to looking at a case diagram. I usually pass the case diagram in my Hornady book on the way to 308 Norma. Handling the case, it seemed to me to have a goose-neck. That caused something to click in my recesses, and I recalled reading about very efficient and accurate loads, that they favor long-necked cases where the bullets are not seated into the powder column.

On that basis I found and bought a mint condition LSA-65 in 30-06. So mint, the magazine follower and ramp are unmarked.

Haven't got to the accuracy part yet, but looking forward to it.
Ithaca right? Handsome rifle

Since I do not know how to start a thread Mr. Oldschool , may I ask a question ? I am starting to load my new 06 barrel and wish to know if anyone has loaded the 168gr TTSX over Superformance powder ? If so would anyone share the load data and the net average speeds and did the Superfarmance give any appreciable added velocity over 4350 , 4064 or any of the other preferred powders ? I apologize in advance for asking this on your thread. Thanks , Floyd

I am loading the 168 TTSX over 59.5Gr of RL19 (Near max load) and getting about 2840 FPS out of it, Fed 210 primer, reloading in once fired Barnes Vor-Tx cases trimmed to standard length 2.484" seated out to .04 off the lands.

What, pray tell, is a "drinking gun?" Drinking and guns are mutually exclusive; I have never heard the term before.
pretty sure he's talking about the hotrods and big boys toys you brag about at the bar but really don't need. I've got a couple myself; my 405 will probably never really hunt hard, and my lightweight 375 is more for putting braggarts in their place than whitetail hunting, but they are in my safe with plenty of ammo on the shelf.
A warbird when usually you hunt in the woods would be a good example too.

As to the '06, yup, I've got one again (bought a few years back- my fourth)... And again I'm using a 165 Hornady and enough 4350 to get it to speed. It works; enough said.

Lost dad in Oct of 18 I got his old H&R 06. I broke it out this past deer season and got a decent 8 pt with it and it felt good. Plus it left our farm in his old truck too!
0DEB25E6-9A16-4CEA-8AEF-6158FA991F27.jpeg

Lost dad in Oct of 18 I got his old H&R 06. I broke it out this past deer season and got a decent 8 pt with it and it felt good. Plus it left our farm in his old truck too!View attachment 166457
Sorry to hear about your dad. Mine passed in 2005, on Feb. 1st. I just got my 5th '06 last week. It is a Ruger M77 with the tang safety. I got it for 250 plus tax and I think it may have had 150 rounds fired through it. It was in a pawn shop for the last two years, and they finally came down on their price so I bought it. I'll let you know how it shoots after I put the rings and the scope on it. I really like the -06. I killed two antelope this Fall with my 03-A3 and a Ruger M77MKII, both using Sierra 200 grain Gameking seconds bought from Midway. Velocities were over 2600fps, and accuracy was around 1 inch for 5 shots with both rifles. Shots were made at 200 yards. The '06 may not be the youngest horse in the barn, but it works just fine. It really shines with 180 to 200 grain bullets, too.

Thanks. Yea i wanted to kill something with it now its clean and wiped down and put after that I took the 30-30 he gave me when i was 16 shot a nice doe with it now they both clean sitting side by side in the safe now back to playing with my 308.

Lub's me 06's. I have over 1/2doz centerfire deer rifles - including a couple 7mm steak shredders... and when it comes time to go hunting I just grab old Bessie that dad made back in 65. It was a mountain rifle, before they knew what to call them. Mauser action, Sako lightweight barrel and because he was working in a shop, he chrome plated the trigger guard. He handcarved and checkered the stock. It absolutely loves 165 grain ballistic tips and the more 4350 you put in the case the more accurate it gets. When he gave it to me 30 years ago I put a Timney trigger on it and eventually Leopold bases and it's been through a couple scopes with me.
E7321DE6-F68E-4E13-90D9-01998A9E32CE.jpeg

DEA08A9A-5289-4B3F-B2E8-86B0A08610CD.jpeg

Just got this ought six this past summer, a 26 inch varmint barrel browning B78. It is my new stand rifle (so nice looking I do not want to drag it through the bush). It Fits absolutely perfect, when watching deer, I would spend over 10 minutes on the scope and was never uncomfortable. Toying with Reaming this out to AI or to Sherman, or maybe re-barreling to 257Roy, 2506 - AI or Sherman with a barrel That would be appropriate for 115 to 130 GR pills, since I found this website my mind has been expanded😎
E6483D2C-5A60-4A57-A056-7BD58F4E7035.png

i built my dad a light weight 7 mm mauser(6.5 pounds scoped) from a FN 98 mauser with a 3x weaver scope in the mid 60,s as he was 5'4" and 140 lbs and i loaded for it and it never shot moa, but it would put five 154 gr hornady round nose on a quater at 100 yards all day long at 2500 fps and he killed a boat load of deer and a few black bear with it. i was useing a remington 700 in 3006 with 165 gr bullets at 2800 fps and he hated shooting it, saying it just kicked to much for him. he was happy with the 7mm and i had to agree with him the deer-bear he shot were still dead, most with one shot. after his death my sister took it and gave it too her husband who sold it for truck repairs with telling me. i have looked for it since his death in 2007 with no luck and would pay 1000.00 for.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.