Old 06.

Thanks for sharing Havoc you'll enjoy the hand me down rifle of good times...

I found a 1980 something Remmy 700 BDL in Left Hand this spring,,, I could of got the crown done on the 30/06 barrel,,, but I decided to change the cartridge to a 6.5 A-square... Better known as a 6.5/06

I kept the factory wood stock since its in emaculant condition with a semi drop down pistol grip that I really like...

My rifle barrel friend spun my a contour 2.8 medium pipe,,, basically a factory Remington 700 sporter barrel,,, 1mm thicker in Stainless Steel 25"... My rifle came in at 10 3/4 lbs bare,,, some folks might say it's heavy for a hunting rifle,,, but thats how I roll... Heavy rifles allow me to shoot pin holes free hand or support from trees or the rocks... LOL...

I did a frugal Trigger Tech,,, its ok,,, but I'll switch it out with another Match Grade Jewel Trigger,,, I'm fussy that way,,, I like to feel the shot and follow threw...

The only photo I have is with a frugal Vortex that I switched out to a Nikon for hunting the critters at close quarters in the thick buck brush...

It will be a few years before I switch barrels to the 270 Winchester cartridge to finish up my hunting years...

It was a super fun project,,, I'll use it for predator control this winter along with target shooting in the spring to fall off season months...
6.5 A-Square
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7jcw4948cnndFSib6

Old School fore sure...

Knowing my dad, this gun probably hasn't seen 200 rounds in its life. I may just take it to a smith, have him recrown the barrel, cerekote it, and put a new trigger (torn between trigger tech, timney, and the Geissele).

I was wondering what your budget looked like? I have a Rem 700ADL that I bought for my father in 1969 for helping me remodel a house. I glass bedded and floated the barrel from 4 inches in front of the recoil lug. I am not sure if I worked the Remington trigger or put a Timney trigger in it, but the trigger is great for hunting purposes. I was looking at the stock, the checkering is really nice and in good shape, the stock does have some good diggers in it. If you take your time you could make this rifle look original. Use a toothbrush (or soft brush) and get some good finish stripper (Citrus stripper one from Home Depot), give the stock a couple of good coats of the stripper. I usually will leave that last coat on the stock overnight, the next day I put a second coat over that one and wipe it down. If you are going to use a scraper, I use a plastic auto body spreader; would not use a metal one on the stock. I'd sand out and blend the diggers in, then put a couple of coats of teak oil on the stock and use one of the gun stock finishes like Birchwood Casey/Brownells to finish it. My son does autobody painting, I've had him put a couple coats of mat finish clear on my stocks, looks really good if you have those resources. Nice to see a rifle handed down generations. I agree with most of the replies about keeping is simple, and I'd try the original barrel first if it were mine. Good luck with the build.

Last edited:
Haven't put much thought into glass bedding the stock, though.
Bedding isn't hard to do. It's not expensive to have it done either.

Those older triggers were decent and can be adjusted. I agree recrown and bed. It might just shoot as is.

I have two older Rems that I adjusted down to 2-2.5 lbs myself. But any smith should be able to get it to a safe 4 lbs for a young shooter. If you go to the trouble of having a smith reinstall the barrel and check headspace it wouldn't hurt to have the crown checked at the same time. I missed that but it's good advise.

My father in-law has an old pump 30-06 from his dad way back when and has great stories of shots made with it. When I met him, he hadn't taken it out for years and it shot a 6" group at 100. Took it home and did like you to find tons of pitting and rust inside and outside. It will need a new barrel for sure but we aren't going to do anything with it.

My father in-law has an old pump 30-06 from his dad way back when and has great stories of shots made with it. When I met him, he hadn't taken it out for years and it shot a 6" group at 100. Took it home and did like you to find tons of pitting and rust inside and outside. It will need a new barrel for sure but we aren't going to do anything with it.
I have watched more than one shooter at the local public range before a deer hunt who was very satisfied with a 6" group at 100 yards......

Even though the 30-06 is a great caliber, Your nephew would really appreciate a 25-06 barrel on that rifle! That's what I finally did with my first BDL 30-06, just got tired of it kicking me so hard!!!

I am with most everyone here. rebarrel, put a good trigger on it, bed the action to the stock and call it good. cera-cote is wonderful stuff. I have found that most every barrel manufacturer that offers rebarreling services is going to give you 1/2 MOA with good factory ammo. but here is where I diverge from some here.. I highly recommend using a 1:8" twist barrel so you can be more versatility (VLD/ELD slugs). I highly recommend Geissele and Shilen triggers. go with what you like for the bases, rings and scope. if it were me, it would be steel Warne weaver bases, Leupold weaver rings and Nightforce SHV 4-14X50MM, but then I would intend on keeping the gun for myself. if you intend on giving it away, then choose more modest scopes.

I have owned one Remington rifle in my life. It was a 1970 Model 700 BDL chambered in 30-06.

I got rid of it in 1975 and have never had a desire to own another Remington.

My Dad did give me his hunting rifle several years ago. He turned 90 last August and decided he wouldn't use it any more.

This one will stay just as he gave it to me with a much needed scrubbing inside and out. I may refinish the stock, but other than that, it will remain as is.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.