Old 06.

Havoc

I was at my dads house the other day, as I was leaving he told me to wait. He went back into his house and brought back his 3006. He told me to put it in my gun safe. He bought this rifle when he was 18, Remington 700, BDL. He killed his first deer with it, I killed my first deer with it.

He hasn't shot it in probably 8 years and it has sat in his closet collecting rust and dust. I brought it home and decided to go through it, clean and lube it. Made sure the gun was clear, and squeezed the trigger, it was horrific. I pulled the bolt out and removed the barreled action from the stock. There was decades of neglect laying there. I ran a bunch of patches through the barrel until they came out clean. I removed the scope from the bases (crappy Simmons 3x9). Took some paper towels with some clp on them and wiped down the action and barrel, in one word, wow. I decided to pull the bases off as well, they've probably been on it since 1970 when he bought the rifle. I had to clear all the grime that was in the screw holes to get to the screws. When the were removed I looked down the barrel and the irons that were on the rifle appeared to be canted to the right. I took control of the action and barrel and the barrel freely twisted in my hand (WTH), that's not safe.

I've decided that I'm going to fix it up. I'm going to replace the barrel, trigger, rings, bases and optic. I'm leaning on the Geissele super 700 trigger, but having trouble with which barrel to get (keeping it a 3006) with the stock barrel contour. I also want keep the original stock, just refinish it.

My goal is to fix it and take my nephew on a guided hunt and when he gets his first animal, give him the rifle as a gift that'll last him a life time. Thanks for reading and recommendations.
D2D5DF2D-6C86-4427-9254-9651658BCD49.jpeg

I would think any of the top/popular barrel makers could make you a Sporter contour to replace it. May not be exactly the same. But then just remove a little stock material where needed. Or put barreled action into a new stock inletted for the right contour replacement barrel. If you have a bullet in mind have it throated for that bullet. Also make sure you got a fast enough twist for some of these new high BC Bullets. Sounds like a fun project. Good luck.

May not even need a new barrel - many of those older Remington barrels were capable of very fine accuracy.

Love your project!

Guy
Knowing my dad, this gun probably hasn't seen 200 rounds in its life. I may just take it to a smith, have him recrown the barrel, cerekote it, and put a new trigger (torn between trigger tech, timney, and the Geissele).

Knowing my dad, this gun probably hasn't seen 200 rounds in its life. I may just take it to a smith, have him recrown the barrel, cerekote it, and put a new trigger (torn between trigger tech, timney, and the Geissele).

It won't matter. You'll be happy with all 3. I have all 3 and they all break light, crisp, and with little to no creep.

I took control of the action and barrel and the barrel freely twisted in my hand (WTH), that's not safe.
Hmm that a first that I've ever heard. Unless someone tried to get that barrel off I'd question how true the shoulder is, or how well it was torqued on. If okay I'd consider cold bluing it or rust blue. If not I think any decent barrel would be fine since it's going to be stock taper. Put on some good glass and do the stock yourself it'll be a pretty neat family heirloom.

Ya - I suspect that old barrel will provide lots of excellent service!

The wood in the stock... Wow... That's pretty nice! I deeply regret selling an old 700 ADL I once owned - it had absolutely terrific walnut. The fellow I sold it to, got rid of that wonderful stock and replaced it with an HS Precision stock... I really should have kept that rifle. :)

Am really glad you're doing this. The old rifle deserves a rebuild!

Regards, Guy

if you rebarrel it, it won't be your dad's rifle anymore; it will be different and you might one day regret the decision. If you have other rifles which suit you well for hunting already, then consider retaining the original barrel and maybe just reinstall/recrown/reblue to make it look like the day he bought it. I wish I had kept more things that had belonged to my dad - not just for my own memories, but also for his grandkids who miss him.

I only mentioned the shoulder/ receiver contact as a possible issue for safety reasons. If the OP wanted to keep the original barrel it could be easily checked and reinstalled. If the receiver barrel contact surface wasn't true a good smith could machine it so that it could be safely, and securely installed. In any case giving a firearm to a family member is a special thing.

Keep it simple , as far a triggers go. The std Shilen trigger is darned hard to beat on a hunting rifle. It's been manufactured forever, a tried and true addition to any 'hunting' Remington 700. As for those hammer forged Remington barrels,, go ahead and replace it with a good button or cut rifled hand lapped barrel. It doesn't have to be anything more than the std Remington sporter contour with a 1-10 twist with a SAAMI chamber. No need to get 'fancy'. It would do all that one can do with the venerable .30/06 Springfield.

A few barrel manufacturers offer Remington contours such as Hart, Douglas, Shilen, Bartlein, and I'm sure others as well. I would either send it to one of them to do the barrel install, or order a barrel and have a good smith do the work.
I have a 1917 Enfield sporterized in the 1970's that now has a new old stock barrel on it. Same profile, shoots much better than the worn out old barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.