Back to the old 30-06

Old thread but--We will see if I messed up or not. I love the old 06, but not long ago I bought an almost mint left hand rem 700 made in 1972. Sent it off to Jess to get it bored out to a 35 whelen. I still have my 1972 right hand 700 that I have been hunting with since I was a kid. Shot my first deer with that one. I can honestly say th at rifle has never failed me-- but I have failed it a few times! Didn't realize how much of the blueing I had worn off over the years till I put it beside the new to me one!

Lub's me 06's. I have over 1/2doz centerfire deer rifles - including a couple 7mm steak shredders... and when it comes time to go hunting I just grab old Bessie that dad made back in 65. It was a mountain rifle, before they knew what to call them. Mauser action, Sako lightweight barrel and because he was working in a shop, he chrome plated the trigger guard. He handcarved and checkered the stock. It absolutely loves 165 grain ballistic tips and the more 4350 you put in the case the more accurate it gets. When he gave it to me 30 years ago I put a Timney trigger on it and eventually Leopold bases and it's been through a couple scopes with me.
View attachment 188826
View attachment 188829
Just got this ought six this past summer, a 26 inch varmint barrel browning B78. It is my new stand rifle (so nice looking I do not want to drag it through the bush). It Fits absolutely perfect, when watching deer, I would spend over 10 minutes on the scope and was never uncomfortable. Toying with Reaming this out to AI or to Sherman, or maybe re-barreling to 257Roy, 2506 - AI or Sherman with a barrel That would be appropriate for 115 to 130 GR pills, since I found this website my mind has been expanded😎
View attachment 188830
Go to the -06 AI. You get near 300 Winmag performance in that rifle, without most of the recoil. I like the 25-06 idea, but I wouldn't mess with re-barrelling a good shooter. However, the 30-06 AI would be pretty easy to do, and case life would be extended considerably, while fire forming the brass would be simple.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts