Back to the old 30-06

Oldschool280

nowadays ive hung up my drinking guns and spend much more time with my actual rifles. I have alot of affection for the 30-06 and have spent time making very accurate loads for my 760 gamemaster. I have one hole 165, 180, and 200grain 100 yard loads. This year i'm going to carry it for deer, black bear and florida hogs/ yotes . In years past ive been shooting , 6.5's 7mm's 300 mags, 375 h&h ect As i look through my safe , i could in my opinion honestly sell everything else i have and still be pretty well equipped. I would not actually do this as i do love variety, but man the 06 is great. Anybody that has one and hasn't given it a chance with todays powders and high bc bullets, it may be worth a day or two of fiddling around with the old girl to see that she can still tear up the dance floor. I live here in new york so many of you guys out west may have a need for the big magnums more than I, so don't beat me up too bad for being tender this morning about my old reliable -06.
Ive been loading 165 speer btsp
180sst 180 accubond
200 partition.
Mostly rl-22 powder
Imr 4831 and oddly h-335 for the 165
All with rem 91/2 large rifle primers and R-P brass
I think i might try to load a real light weight 120ish bullet just for ships and jiggles.

I also find myself continually looking at the 30-06, fondly. I just picked up a Charles Daly/Zastava/Remington 798 Mauser in 30-06 for cheap, and am excited to play around with it. I already adjusted the trigger to a nice pull, and am looking at a new stock for it. Good luck with yours this year!

21" barrel, now 6.43 pounds including scope- shoots 178s@2800, 166 hh's @ 2890, 150 ttsx @ 2915 and 125 factory lite's at 2700 for the kiddos-- and long barrel life to boot. Just recently upgraded her stock to an mpi ultralight. 20190920_090551.jpg

Last edited:
Don't mean to hijack the 30-06 thread by throwing an ackley in the mix. However, I recently picked up a 30-06 AI and wow it's cool! It doesn't get near the press that the 280 ai gets but it is fun. I bought it as a doner rifle, but it shot so good I couldn't change it. I am developing a load right now with the 178 eldx and it seems to have a safe velocity flat spot at 3030 FPS. It's pretty cool but it's a light weight hunting rifle and wow the recoil is stout.

When I returned to the rifle sports I bought a Remmy LR 30/06,,, I added a Jewel target trigger and reset the action in the Bell Carlson stock,,, dang she's a good shooter...

Lots of 178's,,, and 208 grain'ers,,, this winter I'll be testing the Nosler 150gr PT's for hunting Elk and Moose in the North. My good friend has harvests alot of Elk with them using his 308 Winchester,,, so I'll try them out of my Aught-Six...

Yuppers, Old School is kool in my books,,, it ain't the best of the best,,, nor is it the worst... The happy middle ground is where the Aught-Six fits into my hunting world...

Of course this falls hunt is using the small sister 6.5 A-square or better known as the 6.5/06,,, Ha. Good times fore sure...

Cheers from the North

Since I do not know how to start a thread Mr. Oldschool , may I ask a question ? I am starting to load my new 06 barrel and wish to know if anyone has loaded the 168gr TTSX over Superformance powder ? If so would anyone share the load data and the net average speeds and did the Superfarmance give any appreciable added velocity over 4350 , 4064 or any of the other preferred powders ? I apologize in advance for asking this on your thread. Thanks , Floyd

nowadays ive hung up my drinking guns and spend much more time with my actual rifles. I have alot of affection for the 30-06 and have spent time making very accurate loads for my 760 gamemaster. I have one hole 165, 180, and 200grain 100 yard loads. This year i'm going to carry it for deer, black bear and florida hogs/ yotes . In years past ive been shooting , 6.5's 7mm's 300 mags, 375 h&h ect As i look through my safe , i could in my opinion honestly sell everything else i have and still be pretty well equipped. I would not actually do this as i do love variety, but man the 06 is great. Anybody that has one and hasn't given it a chance with todays powders and high bc bullets, it may be worth a day or two of fiddling around with the old girl to see that she can still tear up the dance floor. I live here in new york so many of you guys out west may have a need for the big magnums more than I, so don't beat me up too bad for being tender this morning about my old reliable -06.
Ive been loading 165 speer btsp
180sst 180 accubond
200 partition.
Mostly rl-22 powder
Imr 4831 and oddly h-335 for the 165
All with rem 91/2 large rifle primers and R-P brass
I think i might try to load a real light weight 120ish bullet just for ships and jiggles.

What, pray tell, is a "drinking gun?" Drinking and guns are mutually exclusive; I have never heard the term before.

I too have a very soft place for the 06 . Killed my first deer with a remington 742 when I was 11. Still got it and 2 others just like it . Also bought an inter arms there a few years back off my buddy . It honestly looks like it just came out of the box. And minus one the trigger having a tremendous amount of creep it does shoot pretty well .
But with that being said I gave it to a young man that's my sons are friends with. He hunts with us every year and so far growing up has been responsible. I made sure it was good with his momma and laid down some ground rules with him in front of his mom about not selling it unless he sells it back to me or if he gets himself in some sort of trouble I get it back after I pay fair market price to his mom. Lol . He's had it right at a year now and although he did not get to kill a deer with it last year he's shot all 100 rounds of ammo I gave him with it

The first rifle I bought for myself was an ABolt II in 30-06. It is still my goto hunting rifle. I've loaded it from 110 gr @ 3400fps to 180 Gamekings @ 2600. It currently is enjoying 130 TTSX over 56gr 4064 @ just over 3000fps. It is a shooter.

But, I'm also shopping for something new, probably in a 6.5. Not sure where I'll come down on that front.

It's easy for me to be nostalgic about the '06. My father was a two time Bronze star recipient in WW2. We didn't have guns in our house till I was 12. For his birth day that year Mom bought him a sporterized Springfiled 03 in 30'06 that had been modified for a "Pedersen's device" so I was told. I got the gun at 14 when he passed. Shot my first deer with it. Some one stole it in a house burglary the same year I got married, 1977. Mom bought me a Remmy 700, 1960's era receiver out of a pawn shop in Monahans, TX for $125 for MY 27th b-day, in 1977. I still have it. Has a new Bartlein bbl. on it, and had a smith work over the action and the old trigger at 2lbs. Shoots 200g Accubonds at 2720fps into 3/4" at 200 yds. Killed what PROBABLY will be my last elk with it in Colo. in 2017. My son will get it when I go and promised that my grandsons will get when he does. Gives me comfort in that thought.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.