OK to jump Berger 156 EOL >0.10”?

new2mud

I've heard the 156 EOL is fairly tolerant of some jumping—anyone have experience with good accuracy jumping beyond 0.100"?

I'm sure those considering a 6.5 PRC build on a SA would be interested in results.

Correct. SA mags with max 2.950" COAL means a bit of a reach to the lands in a 6.5 PRC with 0.188" freebore. Want to know if these buckets are viable (ie will remain accurate even with a good jump).

Will likely get to testing this in the next couple of weeks. Just wanted to see if anyone has already had success.

Last edited:
I have a load for my .300RUM w. 215 Hyb that jumps .110" and it shoots extremely well. Another w. 140 Hyb in a 6.5 SAUM at .120" jump that is a tack driver. I don't see why a 156 wouldn't shoot just as well.

Same as above. I had one gun that I had to jump .16 to fit in the mag. Still shot very well.

^^^ yes! This is the kind of experience I am looking for. This may make a SA 6.5 PRC build not be the compromise that conventional wisdom would dictate.

^^^ yes! This is the kind of experience I am looking for. This may make a SA 6.5 PRC build not be the compromise that conventional wisdom would dictate.
Seems like you'll lose case capacity trying to jam a 156 into a short action.
Have you mocked this up? Where did the boattail sit??
The ballistics are so close to the 140 is the juice worth the squeeze ??

Last edited:
one thing about barrels and bullets its been my experience that for the most part your barrel either likes the bullet or it doesn't, jump to lands usually won't make or brake a bullets accuracy, in my 300 PRC 230gr Atips touch the lands at 3.845" and I load them at 3.720" with 1/4" accuracy

Each barrel and load is different so you will just have to try different seating depths.

I have seen many cases where the Berger did not shoot well against the lands and many have gone to .110 + off the lands before accuracy was its best.

The quality of your loads concentricity has the most effect on seating depth. loss of case capacity is not a concern nowadays with the selection of powders we have.

J E CUSTOM

The quality of your loads concentricity has the most effect on seating depth. loss of case capacity is not a concern nowadays with the selection of powders we have.

J E CUSTOM

I'll be using N565 so I'm not worried about losing a tenth of an inch of case capacity.

JE—did you mean to say that concentricity is a greater factor in accuracy than setting depth?

I'll be using N565 so I'm not worried about losing a tenth of an inch of case capacity.

JE—did you mean to say that concentricity is a greater factor in accuracy than setting depth?

No
Setting depth is equally important but concentric ammo is also important if you are off the lands where the bullet aligns to the bore. If you fire form cases and don't over size them, then the concentric case lines up the bullet that is suspended in the neck chamber perfectly with the bore. If you over size and seat against the lands the case then it lays in the bottom of the chamber and the bullet is not looking straight into the bore.

Also if you over size the case and still seat the bullet in the lands, it will not be in alignment with the bore center line. (Slightly cocked if only a small amount).

Everything is important in order to load consistent/accurate ammo and if all are done well the sum of these improvements is better accuracy.

J E CUSTOM

8FEA92E4-70B0-465D-91B8-C2DE9EBAAFA3.jpeg
I found this on another forum. I have some 147's and some 156 EOL At home that I can measure to get a difference in the base to ogives. Might give you a idea of what you might be looking at if it will help. Like others have said each chamber is going to be different but it's a start

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.