OK, I think I almost figured out what I want, couple more ????

lovdasnow

First, thanks for all the replys, you guys are very helpful.

I think I have my choice down to either the 300RUM or the 338RUM.

I don't know anyone with either cartridge, so a couple questions about them. First, I would like to shoot them a fair amount at a time, and don't want to get too bruised or beaten, so how does the recoil compare on these two? (I'm going to get a holland brake installed.) I would like have a decent weighted carry rifle, so it wouldn't be all that heavy...

Also would a 26-28" barrel be enough to optimize these rounds? I know 30" is good, but didn't want to go that long.

What rate of twist would be good for 200-250gr bullets?

last question for now....kind of random...does anyone shoot a .338-378 weatherby mag out there? how is it, is it painful, good/bad....I just saw it as I was looking through my nosler manual looking at the RUMs....pretty impressive..

thanks again...jon

I shoot 250gr bullets all the time at 2800 and 2900 almost what you would be getting out of a 338 RUM.

Have a holland QD brake. Have shot 50 shots in an afternoon off of the bench. Piece of cake. Really.

As Shawn says/said - there is no recoil problem with the 338 Edge in any weight rifle. I believe that.

Mine's a 10.8 pound fully loaded (sling/bipod/scope/etc 338 Win that weighs that much because that's what got it tolerable without the brake.

Now I can't get the lead out. Pun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Gonna put a 338 Rum bbl on it to see what the difference in performance is. I want another couple of hundred yards range out of it.

HTH

Can't offer any advice on the 338 but if you go w/the 300, get the 28" bbl. I would go 30" if you can. A 10 twist will handle anything you'll ever shoot in it. Recoil will not be an issue w/a brake. I'll bet either one will have you grinnin' ear to ear!!!

I cant answer for the 338 but the 300 is awesome!!!! I would go to a 30in if it's going to be rebarreled, meaning it's not going to be a factory bbl. I'm sure the 338rum packs a lot of aresenal though.

With similar goals, this is what I'm doing and why:

300 RUM with a 27" 1:9 three groove Lilja:

27" because that's as long as I want to go for many reasons (in/out of saddle scabbard, vehicle, walking through thick brush, etc). It should be plenty for what I want to do--I currently have a 26".

1:9 because I'm about 90% sure the 240 SMK (which is my current favorite for long ranges) will perform better from this twist and I plan on shooting 250's from Richard which will likely be even longer. Shouldn't hurt terminal performance any either.

.308 instead of .338 for a couple reasons. While the .338 bore does have an advantage for terminal performance, the .308 should be more than enough thump to keep me happy on elk as far as I'll ever be able to hit them. Beyond making a bigger hole, I don't think you gain anything ballistically with the .338 bore unless you go to a bigger case--especially when Richard starts pumping out those 250's. They should be more than a match for the 300 SMK and a 300 RUM can shoot them faster than the 338 RUM can shoot a 300. Launch the 300's faster, go up to 350's, etc, and yes the .338 bore will be superior--you always gain potential by going bigger but in order to realize it you really need a bigger case than the 338 RUM pushing the big bullets.

And then you're talking about a huge increase in recoil. Since I don't want a brake, a light (rifle will be around 7.5 lbs bare) the 300 RUM is about all I can (or want to) comfortably handle. A 338 RUM with "normal" loads wouldn't be too much worse...but a bigger case pushing 300+ grains out at higher velocities is going to be in a whole different class. With a brake that might be fine for you, but without one I don't want to be pulling the trigger.

In short, the only reason I'd go with a 338 RUM would be if I wanted more terminal performance than the 300 RUM can give. That's as much a personal preference thing as anything--the truth is a 200 7mm would probably do everything I need to do just fine, but I want a 250 .308. Because I can handle that in this size of rifle. I wouldn't want to try to handle a 300 at the same velocity burning even more powder.

JonA,

You and I are exactly opposites. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm moving up to a 338 RUM for all of the reasons you state. Somehow a 30 cal 240/250 gr bullet just seems unreansonable. Just a feeling I can't get over.

It's just kind of funny about differences in people. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

BTW, I really like and shoot exclusively, one of your targets. The one with the black square w/white center. Thanks for sharing it.

Glad you like the target...even if you use it for a 338! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif No, seriously, my dad has a 338 RUM and I've shot it a lot--it's a great round. There's a lot of personal preference, splitting hairs, etc, that goes into this game. But that's what makes it fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ahhhhh, good stuff!
would the 200gr bullets be alright in the 1-9" twist?

i like the idea of the 27". I want long range potential, but i also think about carrying this thing up and down steep
colorado mountains.

are there certain contours that are better than others....I like flutes, and want to stay realativly light, but more concerned about accuracy! I've read that the sendaro contour is a winner...?

thanks, love reading your opinions...good stuff

Re: 338-378

[ QUOTE ]

last question for now....kind of random...does anyone shoot a .338-378 weatherby mag out there? how is it, is it painful, good/bad....I just saw it as I was looking through my nosler manual looking at the RUMs....pretty impressive..

thanks again...jon

[/ QUOTE ]
With the accubrake the 338-378 recoil is mild.
I have not tried shooting it w/o the brake though.
I have shot my 30-378 without the a brake and it isn't that bad.
Though I don't know that I want to shoot a box of shells from the bench with it at on sitting without a brake.
Unless you are using a large custom action or Weatherby Mark V I would stick with the 338 RUM or 338-300 RUM (338 Edge).

I have been pondering the very same gun you are asking about right now. In a year or two I am going to have Kriby Allen build me a 30"bbl 338/300RUM throated to shoot the 300gr Wildcat. He assures me that in a 9lb wieght rifle the recoil would not be a prob

wish I could go ahead and order the rifle but I already have all my money tied up in him. Guess me and BJ get to spend another year paying for his groceries

ANy of those rounds are powerhouses, I still favor the 338/300Rum.

Good luck
steve

so is the 300-338RUM just a 338RUM necked down to 300?

is case forming simple? seems like it would be...
what kind of performance are you getting with a 300-338RUM with 250's? how about the shorter 27"barrel?

thanks..

no, it is a 338/300 rum

the 338 rum casing is .010 shorter than the std rum case. By necking up a 300RUM case to 338 you beat out the 338 Lapua case by capacity just a little i think

combine that with the awesome wildcat bullets and a portable rifle, ohhhhhhh baby /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

you will be pretty much walking around with a portable finger of God /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

take it easy
steve

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.