Ok I am not a big fan of the 6.5 Creedmore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get the comparison but comparing them at 500 yards for fps/ft lbs is different than killing deer. It's like comparing a 180 grain 338 win mag to a 180 grain 300 win mag. Is it a fair comparison ? Same bullet weights yet the 30 caliber bullet is much better in BC and faster so outperforms the 338 win mag. I see guys comparing the 260 with 140 VLDs to the 7mm mag with 140 Barnes flat base bullets. Hey the 260 outperforms the 7mag, period no questions asked. It's proven, right ? That's my point. Its not a matter of seeing facts. There's lots of facts. How are the facts applied is the question. At this point this isn't a 6.5 vs 270 performance facts issue, its an opinion. Both IMO will kill a deer or an elk easily. Pick your poison.

You would be surprised how many guys out there don't understand that though. My bro in law shoots 140's out of his 7RM and feels it is superior in every way to the 145's I shoot out of my 270 wsm - that I am also launching at about 100 fps faster than he is...some people are just that kind of stupid.

Only deer I have ever lost is with a 243. Just do not like the 6mm or the 6.5. And the .257 has my vote. I killed around 60 deer with a 25-06. Never lost anything I shot at and never went more than 30 yards. Now into the 7MM and love it.
Even though I am sticking up for the little 243 - I have a 25-06 that is by far one of my favorite guns. I just send the stock back to hs precision for a fresh paint job and put a new VX5HD on her - I have killed everything from rock chucks and coyote to muleys and elk with it. If I had to pick only one gun to keep, that would be the one.

6.5 cm threads should go under political discussion forum...
We need to have a forum sub-section listed right below the Political section called "The Toilet Bowl" or "The Fireproof Dumpster" where all these types of threads can go for eternity. They don't get closed, but they get moved there so we can continue the conversation for entertainment purposes only when we're bored. :cool:

Wasn't the name creedmoor used around the early 1900s by Remington for some type of firearm?[/QUOTE said:
Just a little history about where the name Creedmoor came from if anyone is interested.

This is where the name came from but back then there were several matches that used a very awkward shooting position that was called the same thing because the firearms of the day were hard to hold on at 1000+yards. the position required that you shot with your feet facing the target and the barrel rested on your leg for steadiness. this was a very uncomfortable position to shoot from but effective at the time. the truly long range shooters had 2000 yard matches occasionally and this position was necessary.

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2017/5/4/1872-creedmoor-and-the-first-annual-matches/

At least it has a great name.

J E CUSTOM

I just cannot get excited as some people seem to be about the 6.5 creedmore. I have never been a real fan of the 243 either. I am speaking specifically about using these calibers at 4-500 plus yards. I think a heavier bullet and a bigger diameter is in order for long range shots on elk, moose, bear especially. Whitetail deer ok I guess but the wound channel may not be effective on marginal hit. Just my two cents. How do you other long range hunters feel about this?
I have realized, over time, and lots of reading these forums, that everybody has an opinion. I think all people have their own past experience to form an opinion. Never rule anything out, because of ignorance, or lack of knowledge. Always try to keep an open mind ,and we all may learn a thing or two. I have noticed hunters like large, fast, calibers, because frankly, it leaves the shooter a greater margin of shot placement error. I am a hunter myself, and own a custom meat shop. Every day, I kill domestic beef, and hogs, with a 22 magnum rifle. Some wild, and crazy beef, up to 100 yards away, simply because it's not possible, or safe, to get any closer. My reputation is determined on how humanely and quickly, I make the kill. Animals that are pushed, and scared, are not likely to eat as well as one killed in a calm quiet setting. Wild animals are no different. I shoot both the 6, and 6.5 creedmoor cartridges, at extended ranges on AR 500 steel. Even shot a cow elk at 760 yards with the 6.5. Take the time to research bullet design, and B.C. , sectional density, and of course, case design... I.E. shoulder angle, length of case neck, and powder burn efficiency,...... and anybody, should be able to figure out how great, these little cartridges are. Are they the best ever? Maybe not. Shoot whatever suites you, but please leave those of us who are true marksmen, to enjoy, and appreciate the creedmoor, as it is here to stay, like it, or not....

I'm totally with you on this. Be a marksman and we won't have the argument. Know your own limitations and your equipment limitations. Don't take a shot unless you know that you can make the shot. Study the ballistics of your cartridge. Learn about long range shooting. Take a course of long range shooting. Get fimilar with your gun and your equipment. Then you can and will be able to take long range shots with confidence. God bless the USA!

Do I understand that you're saying a creedmoor is better at 500 yards than a .270?? Surely I'm misunderstanding you on this?
Amen Brother.
Where did he get his information the 270 win. Walks all over the 6.5 creedmoor. When you compare apples to apples. If they made better B.C. bullets for the .277 it would even look better. No doubt about if the 270 is much better, more deadlier. Don't go with the hype.... People....

Do I understand that you're saying a creedmoor is better at 500 yards than a .270?? Surely I'm misunderstanding you on this?

Yes. Check out post #269. Has some Federal factory ammo charts there. The Creedmoor start closing fast on the 270 after 300 yards. Really after 300 yards it is pretty much a wash and the differences are something that would make no meaningful difference on game.

Last edited:
Amen Brother.
Where did he get his information the 270 win. Walks all over the 6.5 creedmoor. When you compare apples to apples. If they made better B.C. bullets for the .277 it would even look better. No doubt about if the 270 is much better, more deadlier. Don't go with the hype.... People....
see post #269. The CM has more energy and velocity at 500 and way less wind drift with 130 gr bullets. (apples to apples)

Yes. Check out post #236. Has some Federal factory ammo charts there. The Creedmoor start closing fast on the 270 after 300 yards. Really after 300 yards it is pretty much a wash and the differences are something that would make no meaningful difference on game.
Only because of the B.C. of the bullet. Give the 270 win a face lift and it won't come close.

Only because of the B.C. of the bullet. Give the 270 win a face lift and it won't come close.
correction #242 post
.I think show something worth looking at.... My Apples are bigger.

Attached Files:

• a" style="margin: 0px; padding: 10px 10px 0px; overflow: hidden; zoom: 1; background: none center top repeat-x rgb(225, 217, 199); border-radius: 0px;">
  • 114385-b078d247e291b220cb928148eceff146.jpg

Screenshot_20190219-113419.png
    File size:
    446.2 KB
    Views:
  • 114386-19f2bf95d9fa6c9b2c85ed3e9657f785.jpg

Screenshot_20190219-113341.png
    File size:
    449.2 KB

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.