Ok I am not a big fan of the 6.5 Creedmore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well everyone has an opinion about the cartridge I know many who have them and they seem to do a great job for pigs

Careful. Might have to show you your wrong.
Ha Ha. Don't worry your not showing me wrong. I am speaking about the types of stuff people can actually buy and use - like factory rifles with factory ammo, with same weight bullets.
Sure you can throw a 170 Gr 270 bullet in there, but you know that requires a 9 twist to be accurate, at all, and requires a custom after market barrel too, right?
Here's some 130 gr to 130 gr. Federal factory charts. The 6.5 beats the 270 at 500 yards and beats the snot out of it in wind drift.
velocity.JPG
energy.JPG
wind.JPG

Last edited:
And that is why some people like Ford, other Chevys and others anything but those two. Since my goal punching holes in paper or hitting a steel plate. So terminal velocity is more important than terminal impact force. But, that just me.

The 243 is primarily a varmint gun i think most will agree on that i have a Howa 1500 in 243 and really like it but i would leave it home on a elk moose or bear hunt and break out a 300 win mag or 7 mag instead.

Is it though? Or is that just coming from someone who has a bigger is always better mentality? Lots of big game animals have fallen to the 243, using the premium bullets we have available to us today makes it a badass little big game cartridge.

Ha Ha. Don't worry your not showing me wrong. I am speaking about the types of stuff people can actually buy and use - like factory rifles with factory ammo, with same weight bullets.
Sure you can throw a 170 Gr 270 bullet in there, but you know that requires a 9 twist to be accurate, at all, and that that requires a custom after market barrel right?
Here's some 130 gr to 130 gr. Federal factory charts. The 6.5 beats the 270 at 500 yards and beats the snot out of it in wind drift.
View attachment 123222 View attachment 123223 View attachment 123224
Hard to compare weight to weight bullets when they are different diameters. That makes the 6.5 heavier for caliber than the 6.8. Compare the 142 of the 6.5 to the 150 of the 270. That's a pretty fair comparison. Nosler Accubond LR bullets for both. I'll use Brian Litz's actual real BCs, not Noslers inflated numbers. Nosler loads for the 270 and Winchester loads for the 6.5 Creedmoor so both are factory loaded ammo. I used the company's printed velocities for the comparisons. (150s shoot in the 10 twist) Here are the results.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190219-154227.png
    Screenshot_20190219-154227.png
    150.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Screenshot_20190219-154155.png
    Screenshot_20190219-154155.png
    166.3 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Hard to compare weight to weight bullets when they are different diameters. That makes the 6.5 heavier for caliber than the 6.8. Compare the 142 of the 6.5 to the 150 of the 270. That's a pretty fair comparison. Nosler Accubond LR bullets for both. I'll use Brian Litz's actual real BCs, not Noslers inflated numbers. Nosler loads for the 270 and Winchester loads for the 6.5 Creedmoor so both are factory loaded ammo. I used the company's printed velocities for the comparisons. Here are the results.
Just use what you own.
Fair comparison? Ur comparing a la vs SA.
I could also say that a 7rem mag pushing a 180+ Beats the 270 and 170eol. Sure it's a magnum, but no different than comparing an 06 case to the little creed case.
How does the 6.5-06 compare to the 270?
I can say the 6.5cm beats the snot out of 308 but I still shoot my 308 because it's accurate and I already own it

Hard to compare weight to weight bullets when they are different diameters. That makes the 6.5 heavier for caliber than the 6.8. Compare the 142 of the 6.5 to the 150 of the 270. That's a pretty fair comparison. Nosler Accubond LR bullets for both. I'll use Brian Litz's actual real BCs, not Noslers inflated numbers. Nosler loads for the 270 and Winchester loads for the 6.5 Creedmoor so both are factory loaded ammo. I used the company's printed velocities for the comparisons. (150s shoot in the 10 twist) Here are the results.

All I said was the CM can beat the 270 at 500 yards. I proved that. It also does this in a short action, with a LOT less powder, AND less recoil in comparable factory loads. I used 130 gr bullets which is a popular weight for deer in both platforms. You yourself mentioned that 130 gr. was your favorite weight in the 270. I understand that heavier weight bullets in the 270 can change that. BUT it is using a heck of a lot more powder with more recoil to do it.
I'm a wussy and have a little wallet. I don't like to bruise my shoulder or empty my wallet, if I can accomplish the same thing with a more efficient lighter load. Sorry but I gotta go fix my man bun now.

Right - but when somebody says they will take a 130gr 270 but a 130gr 6.5 is inadequate, they need to see a comparison like this that shows the cartridges with equal weight bullets and how they perform - otherwise they will continue to live in ignorance...well, lets be honest, lots of guys will choose ignorance even after they have seen the facts! Lol

Last edited:
All I said was the CM can beat the 270 at 500 yards. I proved that. It also does this in a short action, with a LOT less powder, AND less recoil in comparable factory loads. I used 130 gr bullets which is a popular weight for deer in both platforms. You yourself mentioned that 130 gr. was your favorite weight in the 270. I understand that heavier weight bullets in the 270 can change that. BUT it is using a heck of a lot more powder with more recoil to do it.
I'm a wussy and have a little wallet. I don't like to bruise my shoulder or empty my wallet, if I can accomplish the same thing with a more efficient lighter load. Sorry but I gotta go fix my man bun now.
Just making the point that the 6.5 on even ground DOES NOT beat it. Sure it will when it's apples to oranges. Yes it's a long action cartridge BUT you did say the Creedmoor out performs it to 500 yards. I get it. We can make these comparisons all day long. My 22-250 with 80 grain bullets out performs my 243 with 80s easily at 500 yards. When it's apples to apples, it really doesn't out perform it. As said, we all have our favorites and while they all perform at different levels we can all agree there are some better for certain game animals than others.

Right - but when somebody says they will take a 130gr 270 but a 130gr 6.5 is inadequate, they need to see a comparison like this that shows the cartridges with equal weight bullets and how they perform - otherwise they will continue to live in ignorance...well, lets be honest, lots of guys will choose ignorance even after they have seen the facts! Lol
I get the comparison but comparing them at 500 yards for fps/ft lbs is different than killing deer. It's like comparing a 180 grain 338 win mag to a 180 grain 300 win mag. Is it a fair comparison ? Same bullet weights yet the 30 caliber bullet is much better in BC and faster so outperforms the 338 win mag. I see guys comparing the 260 with 140 VLDs to the 7mm mag with 140 Barnes flat base bullets. Hey the 260 outperforms the 7mag, period no questions asked. It's proven, right ? That's my point. Its not a matter of seeing facts. There's lots of facts. How are the facts applied is the question. At this point this isn't a 6.5 vs 270 performance facts issue, its an opinion. Both IMO will kill a deer or an elk easily. Pick your poison.

Last edited:
It betters a 270 Winchester at 500 yards and does it in a short action. So... what's not to like about it?

BUT you did say the Creedmoor out performs it to 500 yards.

For the record, I said at not to. Now beyond 500 yards.... well we should not even go there.
To be honest I was just throwing gas on the fire a bit, as most on here do when it comes to the 6.5 CM. It is a excellent cartridge though and doesn't deserve the hate it gets. Heck I mostly hunt deer with a 25-06, think of how butt hurt I am all the time. LOL

For the record, I said at not to. Now beyond 500 yards.... well we should not even go there.
To be honest I was just throwing gas on the fire a bit, as most on here do when it comes to the 6.5 CM. It is a excellent cartridge though and doesn't deserve the hate it gets. Heck I mostly hunt deer with a 25-06, think of how butt hurt I am all the time. LOL
I agree. I don't hate it rather dislike the hype it's given over some that clearly best it in performance. It's an awesome performing round. Can't take that from it. Hard to knock what works for guys using them. Facts don't lie in the field or range

Status
Not open for further replies.