Ok I am not a big fan of the 6.5 Creedmore

Status
Not open for further replies.
It betters a 270 Winchester at 500 yards and does it in a short action. So... what's not to like about it?
Careful. Might have to show you your wrong.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190219-113419.png
    Screenshot_20190219-113419.png
    156 KB · Views: 112
  • Screenshot_20190219-113341.png
    Screenshot_20190219-113341.png
    138.7 KB · Views: 128
All depends on how you approach what you think is an ethical shot. Nothing is magic. Crunch the numbers in a ballistics solver and see what distance your bullet will still perform at. I.e. what is the minimum impact velocity for the bullet to perform at and what distance does that correlate to. Then you need to be certain that you can hit your target reliably at that distance. That has to be well established before you ever take that shot in the field so you know what to expect. Example a 6.5 Creed with the 143 ELDX (advertises to expand down to 1300fps) leaving at 2850 (hot load) says it should perform to 1225 yards with 554 ft/lbs. That being said that's in the transonic zone which isn't 100% predictable. It enters the transonic zone between 1125-1150 with 644 ft/lbs. 644 ft/lbs is twice the point blank muzzle energy of a 9mm. If you're comfortable shooting whatever with that in mind and you can consistently hit whatever size target 100% of the time in the conditions you're shooting in, then that's that cartridges limit.

Elk at 500 is no problem with the 6.5 Creed. It'll punch right through them. If you don't believe me, check out the stuff on YouTube. There's several examples of it. It's all shot placement. You can't hope for a miracle with this stuff. Every consideration at long range has to be deliberate.

I'm a huge fan of the 6.5 caliber, just not of the Creedmoor. I have no real reason except Hornady has put it ahead of the .260 in their loaded manual as if its a better option performance wise. It's pretty ugly when you look at load data of the .260 vs 6.5 Creedmoor in their manual. Clearly anyone that loads and knows or had any knowledge of both cartridges knows thats the .260 outperforms the Creedmoor. That's probably why I just don't care for it. Hornady put it up so high on a pedestal that it just turns me off. I do like the 22 Creedmoor and probably because that hadn't happened. The 6.5 Creedmoor is a great round that just got too much kudos for something other 6.5s have done better for alot longer.

I'm a huge fan of the 6.5 caliber, just not of the Creedmoor. I have no real reason except Hornady has put it ahead of the .260 in their loaded manual as if its a better option performance wise. It's pretty ugly when you look at load data of the .260 vs 6.5 Creedmoor in their manual. Clearly anyone that loads and knows or had any knowledge of both cartridges knows thats the .260 outperforms the Creedmoor. That's probably why I just don't care for it. Hornady put it up so high on a pedestal that it just turns me off. I do like the 22 Creedmoor and probably because that hadn't happened. The 6.5 Creedmoor is a great round that just got too much kudos for something other 6.5s have done better for alot longer.

Look at factory FPS for 270 WIN between Remington and Winchester,

Look at 7mm rem between the same.

This is nothing new. Companies pump up their own offerings and download their competitors, if that turns you off on companies there will be few offerings to choose from.

I have nothing against the cartridge itself. It's the people that buy into all the advertising and watch to many YouTube videos made by people that don't have a clue about crap. The 6.5 creedmore is nothing special but it makes for a good prs cartridge. And Is just another cartridge that is as only as good as the shooter.
I agree with everything concerning the 6.5 Creedmoor, that there is nothing special about it but I have 2.5 rifles chambered with the 6.5. My reason a lot of 30 caliber rifles and the 223 a cartridge I wasn't impressed with my Army Days especially in Vietnam. M-14 308 all day!

That is fake news. The 270 with the same weight bullet still beats the creed to 500, and if the barrel twist rate on the 270 was faster than 1-10 and was able to hurl bullets of the same bc , the creed would really tak oke a back seat to the old win. This is just from Thumbing through Ballistics tables. For the record I prefer a 6.5 swede and the 280 rem.thats all i have to say about that ( gump voice)
Not so sure I'd put that bet on on paper BUT the 270s best bullet against the 6.5s best bullet and hands down the 270 smokes the Creedmoor. Whose talking about factory gun barrels ? Just cartridge and bullet against cartridge and bullet. Period. It's no secret that the 6.5s BCs rival the .277 weight for weight. Jump into the Berger heavy in the .277 and pushed at 2850-2880 and the Creedmoor may just as well stay home. No comparison and that's simply because case volume and bullet weight. Berger brought the 170 out for the .277s at long range and even tho an unpopular LR cartridge, it has good LR numbers. Certainly I'd take the 6.5-284, 26 Nosler or many of the .284 cartridges first, but the 270 puts down the 6.5 Creedmoor, Period.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190219-115531.png
    Screenshot_20190219-115531.png
    153.8 KB · Views: 72
You better check the energy ft lbs at 400 its 1289 ,at 600 its 984 at 800 its 690,at 1000 its 507 that's off of night forcecballistic program.
Sorry bro - I found my Strelok app to work just fine - run it at my hunting elevation of 10k ft. My numbers are right on.

I am not the only one getting those numbers with the 147 ELDM - check with @bigngreen. He is getting similar numbers....

It has several good things going for it really. Factory rifles and ammo that shoot pretty darn good Lighter recoil it's a great round in the right arena. Some of us don't see it as a do it all?
There is a lot to like about the 6.5 CreedMoor and it performs excellent at long range which is why its so popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.