Ok I am not a big fan of the 6.5 Creedmore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it though? Or is that just coming from someone who has a bigger is always better mentality? Lots of big game animals have fallen to the 243, using the premium bullets we have available to us today makes it a badass little big game cartridge.
I actually have to agree with Lonnie on the .243 is a mainly a varmint gun. I know it's used a LOT to kill deer, and for women and kids to hunt with because it has no recoil, and it shoots fast and flat... But, that doesn't change what it is. You can kill a deer with a .22LR, but was it honestly designed for that, and does it really make it the best tool for the job? Of course not. Personally, I wouldn't go hunting for deer with anything less than a 1/4-bore. I've shot deer with a .22-250, and they've dropped, but they were all within 100-150 yards. I never pushed my luck with it. A .257 Roberts would be about the smallest bullet diameter that I'd walk into the woods to hunt deer with, based on my experiences and personal preferences.

Only deer I have ever lost is with a 243. Just do not like the 6mm or the 6.5. And the .257 has my vote. I killed around 60 deer with a 25-06. Never lost anything I shot at and never went more than 30 yards. Now into the 7MM and love it.

What's BS? People's opinions that differ from yours?
Nope, opinions are just opinions, it's the complete disregard for common sense and then you have the fan boy on BOTH sides, arguing just to hear yourself on line is just disappointing, this forum used to be awesome where people could get low BS opinion generally grounded in common sense and fact!!

Nope, opinions are just opinions, it's the complete disregard for common sense and then you have the fan boy on BOTH sides, arguing just to hear yourself on line is just disappointing, this forum used to be awesome where people could get low BS opinion generally grounded in common sense and fact!!
What did you find to be BS in the last 2 pages? I will give you this, majority of this thread has been a dumpster fire...But I feel it was probably intended to be that way by the OP...

Its a great youth cartridge - I can buy a nice factory rifle and cheap accurate factory ammo for my son to shoot in his creed and not have to worry about handloading for him yet. Same recoil as my 260 without the extra work of making my own ammo. My son WILL be elk hunting with it and I won't have a problem with him stretching it out to 400-500 yards on an elk - the kid is a better shot than I am:)
6.5 x284 is what I bought my 9 year old.

It's a good round when used within its limits. Not my preferred round but it does get used. With the newer muzzle breaks on the market, recoil is not my concern anymore. If it's too loud for you, give it a couple years without the hearing protection you should have anyway.

It's all about the right rifle for the hunt. If your saying a partition in a creed is good at 1000 yards on an elk, I would say good luck. If your saying it's good at 500, you might be leveling out the odds.

I don't rely on luck and odds. Soft points in the shoulder have to have at the least enough energy to break one shoulder, partitions have to have enough energy and speed to open up in the cavity behind the shoulder and hallow points have to have enough velocity for them to open up after the meat gets packed in the hole to open them up.

If you dont understand velocity, energy and bullet make up it doesn't matter what you have up to your shoulder and you either need to educate yourself or stay indoors.

Hell a 22 mag will take down any elk or deer with the right shot placement.

Look up the ballistics on it. It beats the 243 at 500 and barley beats the 25-06 (257).
All calibers after that, 270 on up beats it and creates a bigger wound channel via diameter. Notice they did not mention the 7MM in the charts I read cause they would embarrass the 6.5. 500 on an elk? Not me.

I actually have to agree with Lonnie on the .243 is a mainly a varmint gun. I know it's used a LOT to kill deer, and for women and kids to hunt with because it has no recoil, and it shoots fast and flat... But, that doesn't change what it is. You can kill a deer with a .22LR, but was it honestly designed for that, and does it really make it the best tool for the job? Of course not. Personally, I wouldn't go hunting for deer with anything less than a 1/4-bore. I've shot deer with a .22-250, and they've dropped, but they were all within 100-150 yards. I never pushed my luck with it. A .257 Roberts would be about the smallest bullet diameter that I'd walk into the woods to hunt deer with, based on my experiences and personal preferences.

I've killed a lot of stuff with the 243, including bears and mule deer. Also have a lot of family that still hunt with the good ol 243. Its a sweet big game round, just don't use a varmint bullet, use a big game bullet and it is awesome.

We took my buddies niece out after mule deer and she borrowed my 243 - shot a big bodied 4 point at 450 yards with it - it took a couple steps and fell over. That 243 has probably killed more big game over the years than any single rifle I currently own. Bullet selection and shot placement brother.

What did you find to be BS in the last 2 pages? I will give you this, majority of this thread has been a dumpster fire...But I feel it was probably intended to be that way by the OP...
Hey Mud thought I give you my opinion, to back yours. I've killed lost of Deer and Elk with a bull barell Ruger 243 win. Its about shot placement. How many people do you know use a 223 rem. to shoot Elk. I have a inlaw that takes Elk on the farm every year with one. He shoots them right in the head. They are dead before they know what hit them. So its about shot placement bullet used ECT. Some people don't think it can be done. But if you don't think about a rifle that shoot 1/2 minute of angle. A head shot seems impossible to some. I've never seen a Elk or anything hit in the head go anywhere. Their head is conoed thou. No meat wasted...

Only deer I have ever lost is with a 243. Just do not like the 6mm or the 6.5. And the .257 has my vote. I killed around 60 deer with a 25-06. Never lost anything I shot at and never went more than 30 yards. Now into the 7MM and love it.

Why do people always blame lost animals on the cartridge? Sorry brother - if you lost the deer it was because of poor shot placement...

It's a good round when used within its limits. Not my preferred round but it does get used. With the newer muzzle breaks on the market, recoil is not my concern anymore. If it's too loud for you, give it a couple years without the hearing protection you should have anyway.

It's all about the right rifle for the hunt. If your saying a partition in a creed is good at 1000 yards on an elk, I would say good luck. If your saying it's good at 500, you might be leveling out the odds.

I don't rely on luck and odds. Soft points in the shoulder have to have at the least enough energy to break one shoulder, partitions have to have enough energy and speed to open up in the cavity behind the shoulder and hallow points have to have enough velocity for them to open up after the meat gets packed in the hole to open them up.

If you dont understand velocity, energy and bullet make up it doesn't matter what you have up to your shoulder and you either need to educate yourself or stay indoors.

Hell a 22 mag will take down any elk or deer with the right shot placement.
Totally agree people don't think you can but I've seen it done. Not my choice for the job. Really its about shot placement. Knowing your limitations. And bullet selection. Anything dies with a head shot. Never seen one live yet after being shot there. If a gun shoots 1/2" or 1" MOA, how easy is it to shoot the animal in the head at a hundred yards? Seen this happen one to many times. No meat wasted...

Status
Not open for further replies.