Official Hammer bullets Terminal Performance (picture heavy)

The only other possibility could be a damaged meplat from hitting the feed ramp hard or had been dinged up from a drop or something.
I've had bullets strike bone and do a 180 through the animal. I hit a bull elk two years ago from a steep shot from above and going away and the bullet struck the spine right in front of the near side ham and travel to the opposite side front shoulder. i found the bullet backwards in the shoulder bone. And as bullets travel thru the animal and starts slowing, there is a tendency for the bullet to go thru "feet first".

I've had bullets strike bone and do a 180 through the animal. I hit a bull elk two years ago from a steep shot from above and going away and the bullet struck the spine right in front of the near side ham and travel to the opposite side front shoulder. i found the bullet backwards in the shoulder bone. And as bullets travel thru the animal and starts slowing, there is a tendency for the bullet to go thru "feet first".
This is no fault of the bullet. it can happen to all of them.

Doe control went great this year. These were feeder shots at about 100 yards, I'm sorry it's not super-commando-mountain-climbing-1180-yard-canyon-shot-hunting, but short of sitting at the start of the road instead of at the end of the road there's not a way to stretch the kills where the girls congregate, and they needed shootin' so I got it taken care of. If any mountain hunters want to come down here and tramp through the mesquite for a few days I guar-an-darn-tee you you'll fully understand what a sendero is and why we use them 🤣 You bring the cerveza, I'll bring the salt tablets, but the catch you there needs to be a reciprocal invite to somewhere with an elevation higher than rock bottom.

180HH from a 30-06 because I didn't get the 85HH/6.5CM running in time. Overkill? Nah, just "instant" kill. Two shots were quartering-towards and shot through the neck - one exited between the ribs and front shoulder but resulted in zero meat loss once I trimmed the connective tissue, the other came out at the base of the neck with a barely-visible exit hole. Both did some kind of funny backflip and dropped within a body length of where the stood when shot. Basically their rear legs sucked up to their body as their front legs were jumping, and they kind of flipped/ spun around in a 180 and crashed. Same exact performance I got from a large buck shot through the base of the neck broadside last year.

IMG_4356.jpg

One shot was a full-broadside headshot, in just behind the ear hole and out slightly forward through the other side of the face. Dropped in her socks, saved the couple of pounds of chili meet I sometimes sacrifice for a clean neck shot vs a body shot and risking a quarter on these scrawny little Texas whitetail. All three add up to about the one buck I shot last year, the drought has been tough on us. Double tough because it requires animals to get shot that in a normal year would walk, so it's not just taking one this year, it's taking two from next year. The majority of the 8-10 pointers are all either stunted, or the old guys just flat died over the summer and we haven't found them yet.

IMG_4369.jpg

Last edited:
6 deer fell to hammers today, 3 to the 181 HH in a .300 Win Mag, 2 to the 123 AH and one to the 109 AH both in the 6.5 PRC. Most went less than 40 yards though the one buck pictured below went roughly 100 yards with the hit from the 109 AH. Due to the angle of the shot hit both lungs and the liver as far as I could tell but did not hit the guts. Buck was hit at 150 yards on the run during a drive with a MV of 3275 fps out of my 18" PRC. Both my brother and I got 9 points, our first ever 9 points and he was using the 181 hammers at around 3130 fps out of a 20" .300 Win Mag.

We had 13 deer to process so I was covered in blood and didn't get a chance to take pictures of any until we were skinning my buck which was last. As far as I can tell the blood got trapped in the silver skin as the chest cavity was full since he bled very little externally due to the high angle of the shot. Internally it had a thumb sized entrance and exit hole with tons of internal damage.

B8F88447-1705-4FBD-B12B-3328DA3EAD90.jpeg

42D2435A-5B25-404C-9575-FE48401C9940.jpeg
B59D4AF5-D62A-4588-B298-37C6FBDD7B6A.jpeg
E8C678BB-E621-4991-A263-F2F6D6D398D4.jpeg
FD521384-AE8C-4D49-B9B1-F0AB255A25FC.jpeg
1D236E3A-37F6-4853-A23D-1BAA6EADF14F.jpeg

I took a doe yesterday at 100 yard ls with my 257 weatherby mag. This load is a 90 AH with a starting velocity of 3850fps impact was approximately 3600fps. I hit her tucked behind her shoulder high broadside and she dropped like a sack of potatoes. The top of the lungs were gone.

You know Roy Weatherby was right all along. 😁
6 deer fell to hammers today, 3 to the 181 HH in a .300 Win Mag, 2 to the 123 AH and one to the 109 AH both in the 6.5 PRC. Most went less than 40 yards though the one buck pictured below went roughly 100 yards with the hit from the 109 AH. Due to the angle of the shot hit both lungs and the liver as far as I could tell but did not hit the guts. Buck was hit at 150 yards on the run during a drive with a MV of 3275 fps out of my 18" PRC. Both my brother and I got 9 points, our first ever 9 points and he was using the 181 hammers at around 3130 fps out of a 20" .300 Win Mag.

We had 13 deer to process so I was covered in blood and didn't get a chance to take pictures of any until we were skinning my buck which was last. As far as I can tell the blood got trapped in the silver skin as the chest cavity was full since he bled very little externally due to the high angle of the shot. Internally it had a thumb sized entrance and exit hole with tons of internal damage.

View attachment 412861
124 hammer, hunters out of a 6.5-300 Weatherby muzzle velocity was 3560
That's wicked, looks like a lot of impact velocity , I don't think anything can take a hit like that and not drop in it's tracks . That 124 gr in the 6.5 cal performs way above it's pay grade.

Yes sir with bullet technology today his ideals hold more water now than they ever have. If accurate rifles are interesting fast accurate rifles are even more interesting.
One of Roy Wetherby's examples was hit a brick wall with a a fast moving small vehicle , then a brick wall with a slow moving big vehicle and see witch one does more damage too both the wall and the vehicle .