NX8 an upgrade?

I don't know the NX8 well, I do have an NF SHV 5-20 C534 (cheaper variant NF) that I love. It rides on the back of 4 wheeler in the Texas panhandle (read: rough) We typically put 50-70 miles on the bikes during 4-5 day hunts. The scope has never moved off zero.

You think my VX6HD losing zero isn't a big deal? It bothers me, but I suppose it could happen to any scope. I am sure it gets thrown around in the airport, but it is in a really nice padded gun case.
Unless you're jumping in for your hunts you're probably not going to see a reliabiity improvement.

Any scope can get knocked off in transit that's why we always check them on arrival or should.

As for the magnification Most of what I shoot today are 3-18, 4.5-.14 6.5-20, or four or 24x VX6's.

I can't imagine needing more than 24x and 99% of the time the 4.5-14 is more than plenty.

NF's are great scopes but their glass and my eyes don't get along well.

You think my VX6HD losing zero isn't a big deal? It bothers me, but I suppose it could happen to any scope. I am sure it gets thrown around in the airport, but it is in a really nice padded gun case.
Getting thrown around is a small sample of what the case and gun go through. My last trip to Montana our gun cases had foot prints on them and you could tell they were either jumping on or stomping on them. Just watch one time out the window of them loading a plane and then think about a inch off really isn't a big deal.

Getting thrown around is a small sample of what the case and gun go through. My last trip to Montana our gun cases had foot prints on them and you could tell they were either jumping on or stomping on them. Just watch one time out the window of them loading a plane and then think about a inch off really isn't a big deal.
Great point…

I have actually read several similar reports on the NX8 over the last 24 hours. I think people were assuming it was as robust and tough as the NXS and it just isn't. I have read it is due to the 8x erector and the weight cut leading to a trade off in toughness. Over on Rokslide they are doing some drop testing (its actually borderline scope abuse) and only 3 scopes have passed - NXS, SWFA, and LRHS. Granted it is a sample size of one of each scope, so it isn't the end all be all of reliability tests. But it is interesting…
Multiples of those scopes have been tested and passed. Just like multiples of other scopes have been tested and failed. Meopta Optika 6, Tangent Theta and th latest Razor LHT were singles and failed. He's seen multiples of the previous generation of Razors fail while shooting.

I place a high priority on holding zero and turret reproducibility. IMO, the differences in glass quality between the NX8 and the Leupold would still push me to the Nightforce…..Well proven with ruggedness and reliability.
What good is a .25MOA group if it won't stay put! IMO.
I Agree with this !!
Since your considering the NX8, I'd try one yourself & You be the judge.

Multiples of those scopes have been tested and passed. Just like multiples of other scopes have been tested and failed. Meopta Optika 6, Tangent Theta and th latest Razor LHT were singles and failed. He's seen multiples of the previous generation of Razors fail while shooting.
I wish Form had a list somewhere of the scopes he has tested and whether the passed or failed.

My experience with the NX8 has been great so far - I've got a 2.5-20 F1 on a Seekins 6 Creed. It's checked all the boxes for me at this point and when looking for another scope recently, ended up buying another NX8 2.5-20 F1.

I don't have a ton of experience with the higher end Leupold's, but having shot behind my brother's Vx6 and Mark 5 - I'd be happy to have a Mark 5 in the safe. Great scope as well!

I've been thinking of getting an NX8 but if they're not as reliable as the NXS, I'll pass. I've had my NXS shift a few times. One time it was a contributing factor in screwing up my hunt and wasn't hit that hard. I have three original Mark 4s, one 10x and two 16x. I've hammered the crap out of all of them several times and they have never budged in the slightest. One took a hit that I thought would end it's life and still never shifted. Unfortunately, they have narrow fields of view and cannot be dialed down.

I've been thinking of getting an NX8 but if they're not as reliable as the NXS, I'll pass. I've had my NXS shift a few times. One time it was a contributing factor in screwing up my hunt and wasn't hit that hard. I have three original Mark 4s, one 10x and two 16x. I've hammered the crap out of all of them several times and they have never budged in the slightest. One took a hit that I thought would end it's life and still never shifted. Unfortunately, they have narrow fields of view and cannot be dialed down.
Can you please explain "shifted"? Trying to understand if it was the scopes fault or the mounting system.

I've been running Mark 5hds. I think it's the best overall scope for what I do. I bought a NX8 and I like the glass better and have zero complaints so far. Just my 2C. I'd rather run a NX8 over the VX-6.