NX8 an upgrade?

I haven't found one I'm all in on yet. One I should have kept was the S&b 3-20 US. That was a great scope. The TT LRH was a nice scope too but I didn't like the reticle in that.

Well I'm glad you took my scope recommendation as saying "losing zero isn't a big deal."
Anyhow, From my experience, it has been that most of the time when a scope has lost zero, the finger is always pointed at the optic, but more times than not it's base/rings that have moved. It seems few ever consider what's actually holding the optic in place. Just a thought.

P.S. I've sent 2 NF in over the years for issues. One tracking and one parallax. Both were ATACR's. It's happens to the best optics.
Sorry - I didnt mean any offense. I was genuinely curious what the expectations should be for retaining zero on a $2k scope. This is the first time it has done that. In the scopes defense, it held zero on the flight out and I took my bear at 915 yards. Something happened from then until I pulled it back out of the safe 6 months later to cause it to lose zero.

I don't have an 8 but do have a vx6. My rifle gets beat up in a case on my atv, a scabbard in utv, rides in my back pack on my bike, and is used on a switch barrel chassis. It has seen close to 5k rounds and never lost zero. If a rifle gets hit hard enough it can and does happen. My nf NXS lost zero a couple times with big hits. Don't let the marketing bs lead you to believe the NF is magical.

I have a Christensen Arms BA Tactical in 6.5 PRC that is my long range hunting rifle. It currently sports a 4-24x52 VX6HD. I am ordering an NXS for a 6mm CM and was was considering ordering an NX8 4-32x50 for the PRC. Would it be an upgrade in any way over the Leupy?

I have never even looked through an NX8, just been doing the standard internet research…and I have no particular brand loyalty. Reason for considering a change - I flew out for a black bear hunt last spring. My rifle rides in a Boyt gun case with foam cut out to fit the rifle. Zero was fine when I got there. Flew home and just took it out to the range before christmas and it was shooting an inch high and an inch to the left. It road on an ATV for several miles and two flights etc. Maybe that shift isnt a big deal after everything it went through? Gun shoots .25 moa, here is the target. View attachment 326991
I own both scopes. Leupold is noticeably clearer glass.

My nxs is a little more crisp for my failing eyes than my nx8. I can see bullet holes on paper farther out with the nxs with both being on equal power.
Also. My nxs 's have taken a MAJOR beating over the years and always stayed put.
Recently my son let the rifle with the nx8 fall out of the truck door. It was really a soft landing with little concern of lost zero. However, anytime something like this happens, I must check it. Glad I did. It wasn't even on paper at 100. And went from shooting 1/2 moa, to now shooting 2 moa. Blew my mind. I won't blame it on the scope yet, I gotta find time to dismantle the rig and check everything that could be a factor.
I absolutely love my vx5 and vx6's. Best all around hunting scope made for the money. I just wish I had the same durability confidence in them as I do the nxs.

I personally like my nx8 because of the added zoom and still being fairly light weight and compact. With that being said the glass quality isn't as good as other brands but then again your not sitting glassing through a scope all day. I have had other nightforce scopes and feel really hard on them where it damaged the scope badly and never lost zero so I have had great trust in the scopes

My nxs is a little more crisp for my failing eyes than my nx8. I can see bullet holes on paper farther out with the nxs with both being on equal power.
Also. My nxs 's have taken a MAJOR beating over the years and always stayed put.
Recently my son let the rifle with the nx8 fall out of the truck door. It was really a soft landing with little concern of lost zero. However, anytime something like this happens, I must check it. Glad I did. It wasn't even on paper at 100. And went from shooting 1/2 moa, to now shooting 2 moa. Blew my mind. I won't blame it on the scope yet, I gotta find time to dismantle the rig and check everything that could be a factor.
I absolutely love my vx5 and vx6's. Best all around hunting scope made for the money. I just wish I had the same durability confidence in them as I do the nxs.
I have actually read several similar reports on the NX8 over the last 24 hours. I think people were assuming it was as robust and tough as the NXS and it just isn't. I have read it is due to the 8x erector and the weight cut leading to a trade off in toughness. Over on Rokslide they are doing some drop testing (its actually borderline scope abuse) and only 3 scopes have passed - NXS, SWFA, and LRHS. Granted it is a sample size of one of each scope, so it isn't the end all be all of reliability tests. But it is interesting…

Last edited:
I don't think it's necessarily anyone's opinion that the NX8 isn't robust or carry the same NF reliability. The complaints that I have and it seems most share are its optical performance. 8x mag is just hard to get right…. And I do feel they did a good job at it, but just not as good as say some others have done. There a lot going on in a short package. As far as toughness or reliability, I would take the NF which I believe is what your question is. But optically, I would take the Leupold

I don't think it's necessarily anyone's opinion that the NX8 isn't robust or carry the same NF reliability. The complaints that I have and it seems most share are its optical performance. 8x mag is just hard to get right…. And I do feel they did a good job at it, but just not as good as say some others have done. There a lot going on in a short package. As far as toughness or reliability, I would take the NF which I believe is what your question is. But optically, I would take the Leupold
See post #20. I have read several similar concerns with the NX8, which surprised me. I think I am leaning towards waiting for an SFP version of the 4-20 ATACR. Hopefully it comes out this year.

Post 20 doesn't mean a whole lot to me. I've sent in 2 ATACR's before for failing. It just happens. I've seen other ATACR's being sent in fact. They are very robust. Tangent Thetas get sent in and so on. I've only heard of a few NX8's having issues between LRH, Rokslide, Snipershide etc. Anyhow, if your looking for reliability, all I'm saying is Id take a NF over a Loopy.