Scope upgrade ?

sika64

I have the NF NX8 4X32 on my 28nos. If you were going to upgrade what scope would it be ? Has to have at least 25 power on the upper end.

Every "what scope should I get ?" thread should have mandatory parameters of budget, weight, illuminated, FFP/2ndFP, elevation range, MOA/Mil, capped windage, Xmas tree reticle, etc., etc.
A 28Nos is not a comp gun so you are looking for a hunting scope ?? What other scopes have you looked at ?
What don't you like about the NX8 ? The ATACR will let more light in with a 56mm objective but is 10oz more and physically larger for ~$1,000 more. On the smaller size is the March compact 2.5-25x52 the weighs in at 23oz and has very low profile turrets and 120 MOA travel. The FX series has the High Master glass that is a step up from the compact series which to me is a bit nicer than the ATACR. I was told by Nightforce that the NX8 has the same glass as the ATACR but may have some different coatings, I didn't ask about that though.
If size, weight, and price doesn't matter then go with the Tangent Theta, outstanding glass, turrets, tracking, etc.

Every "what scope should I get ?" thread should have mandatory parameters of budget, weight, illuminated, FFP/2ndFP, elevation range, MOA/Mil, capped windage, Xmas tree reticle, etc., etc.
A 28Nos is not a comp gun so you are looking for a hunting scope ?? What other scopes have you looked at ?
What don't you like about the NX8 ? The ATACR will let more light in with a 56mm objective but is 10oz more and physically larger for ~$1,000 more. On the smaller size is the March compact 2.5-25x52 the weighs in at 23oz and has very low profile turrets and 120 MOA travel. The FX series has the High Master glass that is a step up from the compact series which to me is a bit nicer than the ATACR. I was told by Nightforce that the NX8 has the same glass as the ATACR but may have some different coatings, I didn't ask about that though.
If size, weight, and price doesn't matter then go with the Tangent Theta, outstanding glass, turrets, tracking, etc.
Upgrading from the NX8 so obviously nothing cheaper and 2nd FP Moa, but openminded to FFP. It is a hunting rifle first and foremost so weight is considered. I've been looking at March (I didn't know the high Master had better glass) and Kahles mainly but I'll also consider others. Would like to keep it under 4000.00

Last edited:
I have the NF NX8 4X32 on my 28nos. If you were going to upgrade what scope would it be ? Has to have at least 25 power on the upper end.
I personally prefer the image quality my Vortex Razor Gen 3 6-36x56 has more than my Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 F1 MIL-XT. There's a night and day difference in optical quality as well as weight.

Once you go buy a Vortex Razor Gen 3 there's diminishing returns past it ($2100-$2400) and have to spend more than double to get a noticeable difference in glass.

I personally prefer the image quality my Vortex Razor Gen 3 6-36x56 has more than my Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 F1 MIL-XT. There's a night and day difference in optical quality as well as weight.

Once you go buy a Vortex Razor Gen 3 there's diminishing returns past it ($2100-$2400) and have to spend more than double to get a noticeable difference in glass.
Not a Vortex fan, have sent to many back so I did away with them

Upgrading from the NX8 so obviously nothing cheaper and 2nd FP Moa, but openminded to FFP. It is a hunting rifle first and foremost so weight is considered. I've been looking at March (I didn't know the high Master had better glass) and Kahles mainly but I'll also consider others. Would like to keep it under 4000.00
I went from an NX8 4-32 to a March fx 4.5-28 and it's a HUGE upgrade.
Get an illuminated reticle for ffp and you'll be good to go hunting until dark.

Check out the new Steiner T6xi 4.5-30x I've got one and love it. Buddy has the same nf you have and the glass is a bit better on the Steiner in my opinion

Eurooptic has a deal on the old model turret in mils as low as $2.266 with the new model going for $3,600