Scope Upgrade

I have FFP scopes on range guns I shoot 1K to 1 mile. I can't see or use the reticles under 15X though. Pretty specified optics for this sport.

My hunting rigs get SFP. I keep my hunting shots 500 max. The 98% of my hunting shots are 100-300yds. I like my reticles to be visible for close critters.

I really like the VX5HD line. 2-10X42 on 308 WIN, 3-15X44 on 300WM. With the CDS dials it's EASY BUTTON.

I do not have experience with FFP scopes. Many folks here recommend NF scopes but a majority are SFP, I thought FFP was better for long range? i understand the difference but don't know how that applies out in the field. I pretty much decided to get NF for my 300 RUM but what model and reticle is best for hunting? I would like to keep the reticle simple with the best glass that NF offers.

Still confused on what to get for my 30-06. Doing more research on this site maybe Trijicon, seems to have good reviews here. I don't think clicking would be good for the shots in NC, quick acquisition and shots usually less than 300 yards
I have a pretty good mix of SFP and FFP scopes. However, my last 6 or 8 scope purchases are FFPs, and I had no problem transitioning into them. It boils down to personal preferences and intended purpose.

I use FFPs for LRH/S without any issues. Not all scopes and reticles are created equal. Get the one that best works for you.

Since you like NF, check out their NX8 line with FFP,
https://www.nightforceusa.com/Nightforce-NX8-25-20x50-Mil-C-C623.aspx

Good luck!

The use case for FFP is simple. The game is at 400-600 yds and on their feet. Time is of the essence. You zoom in to see your animal and confirm angle, size, etc, but then zoom out so you can see enough field of view to see what happens in recoil. You hold elev & wind using the reticle. Boom. Flop or boom, walk. You can see what happens.

With SFP, you cannot zoom out to see after the shot and use the reticle.

To make this work, you need a reticle with thick and easily seen outer bars. Illumination helps. This is so you can take that 50yd shot on 4x when a buck just stands up.

It is all about work arounds and struggles. To me, FFP has fewer. If shot both in the field.

Maybe you should buy whatever your good short range SFP is as a base line, the step up to a 3-15x or 5-25x Viper PST Gen2 as a starting FFP scope, then jump to Tract, NF, etc. I did and learned a lot. Oddly, I save some money this way.

"Illumination adds weight.
Not only weight that your carrying, but can throw the balance of how your rifle handles."

What scope have you used where the illuminated model made a noticeable difference in the way the rifle handles relative to the non illuminated model? Schmidt and Bender does for me but only because I'm left handed and the location of their illumination gets in the way of bolt manipulation. If I were right handed or using a gas gun it would have no noticeable affect.

There appear to be a number of absolutes stated in this thread. Depending on the expected utilization of the weapon ALL scopes can be very useful. And I would have to disagree with the assertion that 5x on the end is not suitable for hunting. Just because it isn't suitable for you and your hunting needs does not make that blanket statement universally valid.

I hunted a mark 4 6.5x20 FF for years on my 338 NM.Shot multiple animals at point blank with it.I did not like it for grizzly country I hunted and moved to scope with lower end The TMR is still my favorite, like the small open center