NX8 an upgrade?

GSPRunner

I have a Christensen Arms BA Tactical in 6.5 PRC that is my long range hunting rifle. It currently sports a 4-24x52 VX6HD. I am ordering an NXS for a 6mm CM and was was considering ordering an NX8 4-32x50 for the PRC. Would it be an upgrade in any way over the Leupy?

I have never even looked through an NX8, just been doing the standard internet research…and I have no particular brand loyalty. Reason for considering a change - I flew out for a black bear hunt last spring. My rifle rides in a Boyt gun case with foam cut out to fit the rifle. Zero was fine when I got there. Flew home and just took it out to the range before christmas and it was shooting an inch high and an inch to the left. It road on an ATV for several miles and two flights etc. Maybe that shift isnt a big deal after everything it went through? Gun shoots .25 moa, here is the target.
32C4B896-2404-4DA3-BF41-CE4F8917C5F3.jpeg

I would assume you are going with sfp if you are coming from a vx6hd. If so you might have to consider dialing for wind. The reticle has references for 16 power or 32 power but I find myself shooting mine at 20-24 power most of the time and it's a pain trying to figure out how much you are holding. The eye box is a little small on the nx8 but doesn't seem as bad as most people say, I got use to it pretty fast.

I would assume you are going with sfp if you are coming from a vx6hd. If so you might have to consider dialing for wind. The reticle has references for 16 power or 32 power but I find myself shooting mine at 20-24 power most of the time and it's a pain trying to figure out how much you are holding. The eye box is a little small on the nx8 but doesn't seem as bad as most people say, I got use to it pretty fast.
I prefer SFP for hunting, I do dial for wind.

I as well am not a big fan of the NX8. I'd take a Mark 5HD, Zeiss V4, Burris XTR3, Swaro Z5,6,8, Swaro X5, Leupold VX6HD, VX5HD, March, and anything else in that price range over the NX8.

I as well am not a big fan of the NX8. I'd take a Mark 5HD, Zeiss V4, Burris XTR3, Swaro Z5,6,8, Swaro X5, Leupold VX6HD, VX5HD, March, and anything else in that price range over the NX8.
You think my VX6HD losing zero isn't a big deal? It bothers me, but I suppose it could happen to any scope. I am sure it gets thrown around in the airport, but it is in a really nice padded gun case.

You think my VX6HD losing zero isn't a big deal? It bothers me, but I suppose it could happen to any scope. I am sure it gets thrown around in the airport, but it is in a really nice padded gun case.

Well I'm glad you took my scope recommendation as saying "losing zero isn't a big deal."
Anyhow, From my experience, it has been that most of the time when a scope has lost zero, the finger is always pointed at the optic, but more times than not it's base/rings that have moved. It seems few ever consider what's actually holding the optic in place. Just a thought.

P.S. I've sent 2 NF in over the years for issues. One tracking and one parallax. Both were ATACR's. It's happens to the best optics.

From my experience, it has been that most of the time when a scope has lost zero, the finger is always pointed at the optic, but more times than not it's base/rings that have moved. It seems few ever consider what's actually holding the optic in place. Just a thought.
My 20 moa rail is machined into the action and the scope is sitting in Nightforce UL rings that were torqued to spec. This is my first time using nightforce rings, maybe there is a better choice.

Last edited: