NULA

Ts3

Thinking I am about to order one. I do not really need one but for some reason I have just wanted one for several years. I feel a little urgency that he might retire and I'll always be bummed I didn't just order one.

Planning to do a model 20 to keep it compact and handy. I like to still hunt for whitetail, so a 260 or 7mm-08 would be great and I can get excited about both. I don't want a 308. I have pretty much decided on 338 federal, though. I have also just wanted one of those for a few years and should be fine from a 22" bbl. In my mind it seems like that combo would be pretty versatile and fun to have. I hunt small mountains close to home with all shots <300 yds. The rifle should be good for deer and black bear here. Hogs too. I think it would be a decent backup rifle for elk and mule deer hunts. And good for anything high country without extended range shooting. Maybe even close range moose?

Am I trying to come up with uses for a rifle I don't need? Yes, yes I am. I'm ok with that.

Anyway, the main input I am looking for is on NULAs in general. I have never even handled one. Worth the money? Decent accuracy? Fit and finish?

I realize this is not at all a long range hunting rifle, but this forum is full of legit hunters and riflemen.

Thinking I am about to order one. I do not really need one but for some reason I have just wanted one for several years. I feel a little urgency that he might retire and I'll always be bummed I didn't just order one.

Planning to do a model 20 to keep it compact and handy. I like to still hunt for whitetail, so a 260 or 7mm-08 would be great and I can get excited about both. I don't want a 308. I have pretty much decided on 338 federal, though. I have also just wanted one of those for a few years and should be fine from a 22" bbl. In my mind it seems like that combo would be pretty versatile and fun to have. I hunt small mountains close to home with all shots <300 yds. The rifle should be good for deer and black bear here. Hogs too. I think it would be a decent backup rifle for elk and mule deer hunts. And good for anything high country without extended range shooting. Maybe even close range moose?

Am I trying to come up with uses for a rifle I don't need? Yes, yes I am. I'm ok with that.

Anyway, the main input I am looking for is on NULAs in general. I have never even handled one. Worth the money? Decent accuracy? Fit and finish?

I realize this is not at all a long range hunting rifle, but this forum is full of legit hunters and riflemen.

Unless you want an uncommon cartridge I'd suggest buying a Fieldcraft, from everything I've heard they are a fine rifle. I had 2 Nula's and the last one I ordered was a year and a half wait. If you want one for the nostalgia of owning one then go for it, if you want one for a hunting rifle there are better rifles on the market for half the price. I wasn't overly impressed with the fit, finish and over all quality of the Nula's, it seems quality control is slipping.

Honestly if I were to do it again I'd by a Fieldcraft without a doubt.

I Have known Melvin Forbes owner of NULA and worked many outdoor shows with him.
He shoots every rifle before it leaves his shop. And target comes with the rifle.
I live about 20 miles from NULA. Delivered a scope to his shop last fall. It was for my hunting buddy's new 7mm/08. Have not got to shoot it, But he likes it, Shoots very accurate. I have another friend who has 4-5 NULA rifles. He has hunted a lot with a 338 WM he favors.

If you get a 338 Federal that would stabilize a 225 gr. bullet. It would be a regular critter thumper.

Mr. Forbes is credited with designing the Kimber 8400 Montana stock. I have a kimber 8400 Montana in 300 WSM the kick is very tolerable to me.

Good Luck on this project.

I Have known Melvin Forbes owner of NULA and worked many outdoor shows with him.
He shoots every rifle before it leaves his shop. And target comes with the rifle.
I live about 20 miles from NULA. Delivered a scope to his shop last fall. It was for my hunting buddy's new 7mm/08. Have not got to shoot it, But he likes it, Shoots very accurate. I have another friend who has 4-5 NULA rifles. He has hunted a lot with a 338 WM he favors.

If you get a 338 Federal that would stabilize a 225 gr. bullet. It would be a regular critter thumper.

Mr. Forbes is credited with designing the Kimber 8400 Montana stock. I have a kimber 8400 Montana in 300 WSM the kick is very tolerable to me.

Good Luck on this project.

I've gotten a test target with my Cooper but neither of my Nula's came with test targets, my first Nula came with a crooked trigger and I had a problem with both of the safety's. Probably just bad luck but I wouldn't do it again.

The 284 Win would be my choice.

I had read that Melvin said the 284 win was very popular chambering for the model 20 action. IIRC it uses a 3.1" mag box.

While looking around on the model 20 I found this post from John Barsness aka Mule Deer from 24 hr campfire:
".284 Winchester, the original cartridge the Model 20 was designed around."

entire thread: Nula chambering options:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11814106/nula-chambering-options

The thread is from 2017. Many were complaining about difficulty in finding brass. While finding Winchester brass IS difficult at times Norma made a run of 284 Win for Bullets.com. That source is closed but the brass is available. Graf's has it currently:
https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/77895

Or if you prefer Lapua makes 6.5-284 which can be easily necked up.

Regarding performance from the 284 from a 22" barrel:
140s as fast as 3100 fps
150s " " " 3000 fps
168 " " " 2900 fps

I live close and have been thinking about having one built. I'm a little concerned after hearing there's been trouble with a 3500 dollar rifle. I haven't had the Barret Fieldcraft in hand but I found one heavily discounted. I guess I could visit Melvin to see the quality. Did you see the quality of the rifle he leant his name too a few years ago. Fit and finish was horrible.

Unless you want an uncommon cartridge I'd suggest buying a Fieldcraft, from everything I've heard they are a fine rifle. I had 2 Nula's and the last one I ordered was a year and a half wait. If you want one for the nostalgia of owning one then go for it, if you want one for a hunting rifle there are better rifles on the market for half the price. I wasn't overly impressed with the fit, finish and over all quality of the Nula's, it seems quality control is slipping.

Honestly if I were to do it again I'd by a Fieldcraft without a doubt.

I'll have to look into those, but really was wanting a nula to have a nula. I just don't want to be disappointed after paying the price.

The 284 Win would be my choice.

I had read that Melvin said the 284 win was very popular chambering for the model 20 action. IIRC it uses a 3.1" mag box.

While looking around on the model 20 I found this post from John Barsness aka Mule Deer from 24 hr campfire:
".284 Winchester, the original cartridge the Model 20 was designed around."

entire thread: Nula chambering options:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11814106/nula-chambering-options

The thread is from 2017. Many were complaining about difficulty in finding brass. While finding Winchester brass IS difficult at times Norma made a run of 284 Win for Bullets.com. That source is closed but the brass is available. Graf's has it currently:
https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/77895

Or if you prefer Lapua makes 6.5-284 which can be easily necked up.

Regarding performance from the 284 from a 22" barrel:
140s as fast as 3100 fps
150s " " " 3000 fps
168 " " " 2900 fps

I like the 284 too, and agree that it would probably be THE most versatile in that rifle. I do already have an UL in 280, so want to do something different. But I don't disagree a bit.

A friend of mine just got one in .223 after a year+ wait. He is now looking to trade it. His words were "the quality is not there like they used to be."

I bought one used a couple years ago in 260, it had been around the forums and was a known shooter. It did shoot well and was obviously lightweight, but if doing it again I would definitely recommend buying a fieldcraft. Guys have always been loyal to Melvin, 10 years from now I don't think the rifles will have the appeal. In the last year he's had employee issues and tries to do everything himself or closely oversee each gun. I wouldn't hold the time quote for a build either, I know guys that were quoted wildly different times when inquiring about sending money in the same week.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.