To barrel nut or to not barrel nut?

Well can anyone say that the savage is not as accurate as the remington?

The results speak for.themselves

And a remage eliminates a lot of the savage weakness. Trigger, heavy bolt lift and extraction problems.

Back in 2012 I bought a new 2013 Mustang 5.0 Track Pack...Had 7 miles on it when it rolled off the truck. I was going to put a Hellion Twin Turbo kit on it. But I would have had to put a Ford Racing Aluminator long block in it to handle the 1,250 RWHP tune... I didn't have the extra $20K for all of that stuff. So I ended up trading it back in Feb of last year.

Lately been thinking about trading in a couple of my trucks towards a new 2017 Mustang GT-350R.

Gotta get a new job first, though...

My business partner just bought a 2016 GT-350 after he rode in my 16 RS. The 350 was nowhere to be found. Crazy part is how close the focus RS is to that Shelby. So close in fact just with my livernoise tune I can now beat him. The Shelby GT 500 has been seen running around Detroit recently and since my mom has a 68 1/2 GT 500kr. I have place a down payment at my dealer for one hoping it's the flat plane crank with at least a super charger on it. I've been emailing ford hoping owning an original will get me one. Till then I'm have lots of work on my RS done this winter.

And a remage eliminates a lot of the savage weakness. Trigger, heavy bolt lift and extraction problems.

No use trying to take reason with them. They're all drunk on Remy Koolaid at the moment...

I say barrel nut it! the only advantage the remington design has in most practical applications is a little sense of security ( more material around the chamber ) AKA Remy Koolaid.

I don't have any Remington's, but I do have a Vanguard and a TC Venture and both are set up like the Remington. I don't have any complaints with them at all, in fact they are very accurate, the TC is one of those gems that builds confidence every time I shoot it.
With that said, i have three Barrel nut guns that are just as accurate, two Savages and a Ruger American. I really enjoy toying with my Savage 110, I have a 7 mag and a 300 Win mag barrel for it and more coming. I just chuck it up in my vise and switch it out. It's very enjoyable...

I get the whole Gunsmith becoming a lost art thing. I have cut Timber with my back and a chain saw for over 20 years now, and when I first saw a feller buncher on the job, all I could think about is, "that thing will eliminate my job. Well... It didn't, I learned to run that thing for all of the small stuff, but when the big trees are harvested, it's my worn out back and worn out chainsaw that gets it done...:)

When something new or easier comes along, doesn't really mean it's better or worse, it's just means it's different...

Like it or not, it's all by design ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/656Z7KUiXJ8?t=259[/ame]

... and some of Savages innovations are being copied by other Rifle manufacturers (Remington, Marlin, Mossberg etc ...) and custom action (BHA and Mausingfield) manufacturers.

I say barrel nut it! the only advantage the remington design has in most practical applications is a little sense of security ( more material around the chamber ) AKA Remy Koolaid.

How is it Remington koolaid if the barrel being torqued directly to the action method has been working since the flintlock was invented nearly 400 years ago? Please tell me how it's "Remington kool aid"? :rolleyes:

Also, I'm still waiting to see these results yall keep touting about how the nut makes it more accurate? I'd love to see that one attempted to be proven... Other than supporter hear-say and internet conjecture that is going to be impossible to prove given that even aftermarket barrels shoot differently, and factory barrels are well-known to be hit-or-miss, and even then have a much wider accuracy variance...

The action is a minor part of the accuracy package, I can make equally shooting rifles with or without a nut, Rem, Savage, Tikka or a custom it really is just the part of the rifle that make the bang happen. One of the most highly regarded custom action, Bighorn, is a Rem Sav blend taking strengths of both. My 1000 yard Br rifle is a Savage without the nut, my equally accurate hunting rifle is a Savage with a nut, both rifles will put down sub 4 inch groups at 1000. Rich Shermans 7 SS is a Savage with a nut and drops groups in the 4's at over 1000 yards. My buddies 338 RUM is a savage with a nut and I've seen groups at 2000 yards with lest than an inch of vertical and seen many cold bore hits on sub moa targets beyond 2000 yards with it.

Simply does not matter, you still need to have quality mating surfaces regardless and a quality barrel is paramount.

Like it or not, it's all by design ...

https://youtu.be/656Z7KUiXJ8?t=259

... and some of Savages innovations are being copied by other Rifle manufacturers (Remington, Marlin, Mossberg etc ...) and custom action (BHA and Mausingfield) manufacturers.

This is why I waited almost a year for a Mausingfield long action...I did not want a big boy .589 bolt face...just a .539...

Benchmark spun a Sendero profile with a barrel nut...and I am happy as hell...

I like that I can change out my barrel and change out my bolt head...

Over 250 rounds down range w/o nary an issue...

The action is a minor part of the accuracy package, I can make equally shooting rifles with or without a nut, Rem, Savage, Tikka or a custom it really is just the part of the rifle that make the bang happen. One of the most highly regarded custom action, Bighorn, is a Rem Sav blend taking strengths of both. My 1000 yard Br rifle is a Savage without the nut, my equally accurate hunting rifle is a Savage with a nut, both rifles will put down sub 4 inch groups at 1000. Rich Shermans 7 SS is a Savage with a nut and drops groups in the 4's at over 1000 yards. My buddies 338 RUM is a savage with a nut and I've seen groups at 2000 yards with lest than an inch of vertical and seen many cold bore hits on sub moa targets beyond 2000 yards with it.

Simply does not matter, you still need to have quality mating surfaces regardless and a quality barrel is paramount.

BnG just gave you your answer...

This is why I waited almost a year for a Mausingfield long action...I did not want a big boy .589 bolt face...just a .539...

Benchmark spun a Sendero profile with a barrel nut...and I am happy as hell...

I like that I can change out my barrel and change out my bolt head...

Over 250 rounds down range w/o nary an issue...

Yep

I want one.of.those. the.ultimate switchbarrel action

Well said Rhian! I have a Big Horn Arms LA SR2 on my latest project build.

1020150838_zpsc2fkqjtb.jpg

1020150837b_zpsz3a7v7hq.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.