Savage barrel nut torque

mpwmont

Does anyone have a definite awnser on how much torque to apply. Internet searches range from hand tight to 100ftlbs. Has anyone done any testing to see which torque produced tightest groups?

The nut torque has no effect on accuracy. Headspace, cartridge, etc does.

Specs are 70 ft lbs.

Me, I've always used the proper wrench tightened by hand to about 60 ft lbs (one hand at 1 ft with lean weight) and a tap with a small hammer.

I've loosened some that took my body weight standing, so 180 ft lbs.

Larry
Tinkerer

I have a barrel I'm about to put on. A friend of mine put one on his build a few weeks ago. It shoots cold shot in one spot, second shot 3 or 4 inches straight below. He cools the barrel, same pattern. Both groups are great, just not together. We're thinking it's the nut not on tight enough. No vice or action wrench when we put his on. A friend has the setup so we're going to redo his, and put mine on. I appreciate the input.

If the torque has no effect on accuracy, what would cause an issue like he's having? His is a 270. Pillar bedded, action bedded, great trigger. He's a good shooter, known dependable scope.

I can't imagine you would get enough torque bare handing the barrel. Put it in a barrel vise and torque it properly. How much depends on who you ask. I do not believe there is a specific value but more along the lines of "enough".

I personally torque my barrels to 60ish pounds. If I was putting a barrel on for someone that will likely stay on for an extended time I would do 100-120lbs.

A loose barrel would not group repeatedly in the same pattern. It would walk around. He has another issue going on

Joe S

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.