Nosler To Introduce 6.5mm HotRod !!

3400 fps with a 129 gr bullet ? big deal !

my wildcat the 6.5 Prometheus does 3500 fps with the 160 gr Matrix

Sounds interesting to me, but not as interesting as trying to figure out why Nosler introduced their Long Range Accubonds for 6,5 in 129gr and didn't offer a 140 or heavier bullet. Now hearing about the new rifle/cartridge, maybe it has to do with accommodating the action length of the new rifle/cartridge combo. Just a thought.

The 129gr intro had to do with barrel twist. A lot of rifles only have 9 twist so they got those covered. I'm pretty sure they will come out with heavier bullets now.

" Look how Rage broadheads promotes themselves "expand your kill zone" really?

I agree its all about marketing. Just like the " rage", which that style has been out for years before they came along and advertised/ promoted the snot out of it. That style of expanding broahead was nothing new, but people ate up the excessive ads, and think they are the sh!t It's all about exposure. Put this new caliber in every hunting magazine with sponsor driven " expert hunters" that we've all seen, and it might explode.
Brent

It has to be a barrel burner. I am assuming you'll get a 1000 rounds of accurate life out of it. Still a cool round and who doesn't love velocity? I would be excited to see how far you could shoot it with a heavier class bullet.

I imagine it will be something of a barrel burner, but as has already been mentioned LRH is the hot trend now so that will draw a lot of interest. How many hunters will actually shoot 1000 rounds through their deer rifle to burn it out? I know that there are several guys on this site that burn out barrel regularly, but this site is small fraction of the hunting populace, and I imagine only a small fraction of these site members actually shoot enough to burn out barrels. In the end, I don't see barrel life being a major issue for how well this round will fare in the market.

I think we can all agree that the 129 grain pill is a handicap for our sport. On the other hand, velocity is always a great selling point. Inside 1k the difference between the 129 & 140 is probably moot & the drop/drift #'s will be less for the 129 as well.

The largest issue I see is bore life, the 140's would go a pretty long way to increase bore life & killing power, IMHO.

I'm still pretty derned intrigued.

t

I think we can all agree that the 129 grain pill is a handicap for our sport. On the other hand, velocity is always a great selling point. Inside 1k the difference between the 129 & 140 is probably moot & the drop/drift #'s will be less for the 129 as well.

The largest issue I see is bore life, the 140's would go a pretty long way to increase bore life & killing power, IMHO.

I'm still pretty derned intrigued.

t

I agree with this. The biggest advantage I have found with the 140's over the lighter bullets driven at high velocities is the effective killing power and pentration on game from 50 yards to 1000 yards. Half inch entrance, 2" exit and everything in between is mush. For my hunting the 140's driven at 3000FPS give a great balance of ballistics, killing power, and useful barrel life. IMO

I imagine it will be something of a barrel burner, but as has already been mentioned LRH is the hot trend now so that will draw a lot of interest. How many hunters will actually shoot 1000 rounds through their deer rifle to burn it out? I know that there are several guys on this site that burn out barrel regularly, but this site is small fraction of the hunting populace, and I imagine only a small fraction of these site members actually shoot enough to burn out barrels. In the end, I don't see barrel life being a major issue for how well this round will fare in the market.

I agree. Most people will not shoot a barrel out in a life time let alone 1 year. I have had my 6.5 for about 10 months and have 800 rounds down range. I have shot another 300 or so through other rifles and that is it. For me, this is actually a lot of shooting. Now that I have a better understanding of LR needs and expectations my shooting will be less but high value. By that I mean taking shots at LR for purpose of education. Wind still kicks my butt at ELR in mountian terrain.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.