COMPARING THE HOTROD SST's 6, 25, 6.5

Here goes the thread
upload_2019-1-4_8-55-20.jpeg

What kind of speeds are you getting out of your Grendel now, if you don't mind sharing? What would you hope for/expect our of a .25 Grendel (Sherman Improved) with the 131? How would this compare to the 6BR or 6 Dasher?
I haven't tried any of my handloads for it yet, but so far with factory Hornady 123 Amax, I'm averaging around 2,600 FPS MV with a 24" barrel.

With the added capacity from the improvements, I would expect around the same from the 131, despite being 8 grains heavier. Especially with a slower powders like CFE223 and LeverEvolution.

Anyway, sorry for the derail Rich. Maybe someone will start another thread about this.

o_O
I haven't tried any of my handloads for it yet, but so far with factory Hornady 123 Amax, I'm averaging around 2,600 FPS MV with a 24" barrel.

With the added capacity from the improvements, I would expect around the same from the 131, despite being 8 grains heavier. Especially with a slower powders like CFE223 and LeverEvolution.

Anyway, sorry for the derail Rich. Maybe someone will start another thread about this.
Dang Nabit! I was enjoying this thread!

I think the the 6mmSST could possibly be the perfect varmint/medium big game long range round.
This is up to 1K yards, before everyone's opinions start coming in about what long range is. Lol.

Has anyone else other than blackjack verified the bc?

We report the prototype test data from Oehler 88 testing which is 0.330 G7 at 2940 fps and 0.333 at 3140 fps.

Most competitors are reporting 0.345-0.350 G7 but the production run came out 0.022" longer than the prototypes.

Guys that are running 0.330 G7 are shooting over targets at long ranges and are doping up to 0.345+ G7. I will have an Oehler 89 system soon and will retest the new production bullets.

Unlike many bullet releases, we just report the data As Is with no fluff. Thankfully with our focus to sharpen up the meplats we got about 15 G7 points added for the production run.

Until we re-test the bullets over a dual chronograph and TOF system we will keep reporting 0.330 G7.

We report the prototype test data from Oehler 88 testing which is 0.330 G7 at 2940 fps and 0.333 at 3140 fps.

Most competitors are reporting 0.345-0.350 G7 but the production run came out 0.022" longer than the prototypes.

Guys that are running 0.330 G7 are shooting over targets at long ranges and are doping up to 0.345+ G7. I will have an Oehler 89 system soon and will retest the new production bullets.

Unlike many bullet releases, we just report the data As Is with no fluff. Thankfully with our focus to sharpen up the meplats we got about 15 G7 points added for the production run.

Until we re-test the bullets over a dual chronograph and TOF system we will keep reporting 0.330 G7.
Can your bullet be used on game or is it strictly a target bullet?

Hmmm, I believe there once was a man that repeatedly stated that a heavy high BC .257 caliber would whoop up on a 6mm 110, and a 6.5mm 140, and you just proved that all the way out to 1000 yards... :cool:

You basically just disproved the thought lines of the entire bullet market "geniuses" for the last 30+ years that refused to bring .25 cal technology up to everything else.

Thank you for proving that Rich. Vindication by hard evidence is a very sweet victory indeed...Especially for us 1/4-bore shooters. :)
The 150 SMK would have been a better bullet to compare with the other two, since the 150 is the heavy for cal for the 6.5.

I think the the 6mmSST could possibly be the perfect varmint/medium big game long range round.
This is up to 1K yards, before everyone's opinions start coming in about what long range is. Lol.
I live in Ca. and starting this year we have to use none lead bullets for hunting, I am thinking the 6SST loaded with the 100gr Badlands Bulldozer will be a stellar little LRH for deer and antelope. The BC is G1 .575 , not bad for a mono and it will shoot out of a 1:7 twist. Supposedly will expand down to 1600fps. I just got a couple sample bullets in and they are only about .080" longer than the 110gr SMK's.

Last edited:
I live in Ca. and starting this year we have to use none lead bullets for hunting, I am thinking the 6SST loaded with the 100gr Badlands Bulldozer will be a stellar little LRH for deer and antelope. The BC is G7 .575 , not bad for a mono and it will shoot out of a 1:7 twist. Supposedly will expand down to 1600fps. I just got a couple sample bullets in and they are only about .080" longer than the 110gr SMK's.
That would be a lethal combo. Hammer has some good ones too.

I live in Ca. and starting this year we have to use none lead bullets for hunting, I am thinking the 6SST loaded with the 100gr Badlands Bulldozer will be a stellar little LRH for deer and antelope. The BC is G7 .575 , not bad for a mono and it will shoot out of a 1:7 twist. Supposedly will expand down to 1600fps. I just got a couple sample bullets in and they are only about .080" longer than the 110gr SMK's.
I don't think it has a G-7 of .575 B.C.,
G-1 is probably what you mean.

Hmmm, I believe there once was a man that repeatedly stated that a heavy high BC .257 caliber would whoop up on a 6mm 110, and a 6.5mm 140, and you just proved that all the way out to 1000 yards... :cool:

Hmm... 37 feet per second at 1000 yards constitutes a "whoopin", but 308 and 30-06 are ballistic equals. Fun little double standard ya got there:D

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.