Nosler RIfles

Greg Duerr

Looking hear and there for a new 7mm Rem Mag and have been looking at the Nosler Rifles, only issue is that they come with a 13.5 LOP kind of short but was wondering if anyone has one and what your personal views are.

How do they compare to the Cooper's

I've got 4 nosler rifles and only really like 2 of them. The 2 I do like are fantastic tho, A 280 and 300wsm are deadly. My 22-25 and 26nosler. I would sell in a heartbeat. Just not super impressed. Just my 2 cents

13 1/2 inches LOP is standard. i think most Remingtons have 13 1/4" -13 1/2" you could always ad spacers, or a thicker recoil pad if you want a longer lop

Add a 1 inch recoil pad, that will take you from 13.5 to 14. This is of course assuming you have a 1/2 inch pad.

the couple of reviews i read they weren't all that accurate, a little over moa. that is certainly more than enough for whitetail, but at a $2k price point i def want better than that.

Do not buy a Nosler Rifle! go to your local gun store and have them pull a Nosler and a Howa rifle off the shelf. Then have them swap the bolts. Everything works just great with either rifle. My dad bought a Nosler M48 Patriot and paid almost $2K for the gun. When it wouldn't shoot uner a 3" group at 100 yards I went with him to our local gun store..I told them that after some research that it was just a cheap Howa rifle (which costs about ($400). They didn't believe me until i had them pull every gun with an action based on a Remington 700 action. The only 2 that had interchangeable parts were the Nosler and the Howa. When the rifle was sent back to Nosler, they replied and said that there was nothing wrong with the gun and that they would not do anything about it (service sucks!)
The gun store was awesome and wanted to make it right, they took the Nosler rilfe back and he bought the Cooper M52 Long Range. It has been an awesome rifle. Shoots lights out and has been worth every penny. And it only cost him a couple hundred bucks more than the Nosler rifle.

You can't compare the Nosler rifles to a Cooper. If you are spending that kind of money you want a rifle that is built well and will perform. The Nosler will NOT! It is a cheap build gun that feels like a toy (And shoot like one). On the other hand..Of all the Coopers I have shot and handled, every one has shot incredibly well and their customer service is top notch.

Last edited:
Do not buy a Nosler Rifle! go to your local gun store and have them pull a Nosler and a Howa rifle off the shelf. Then have them swap the bolts. Everything works just great with either rifle. My dad bought a Nosler M48 Patriot and paid almost $2K for the gun. When it wouldn't shoot uner a 3" group at 100 yards I went with him to our local gun store..I told them that after some research that it was just a cheap Howa rifle (which costs about ($400). They didn't believe me until i had them pull every gun with an action based on a Remington 700 action. The only 2 that had interchangeable parts were the Nosler and the Howa. When the rifle was sent back to Nosler, they replied and said that there was nothing wrong with the gun and that they would not do anything about it (service sucks!)
The gun store was awesome and wanted to make it right, they took the Nosler rilfe back and he bought the Cooper M52 Long Range. It has been an awesome rifle. Shoots lights out and has been worth every penny. And it only cost him a couple hundred bucks more than the Nosler rifle.

You can't compare the Nosler rifles to a Cooper. If you are spending that kind of money you want a rifle that is built well and will perform. The Nosler will NOT! It is a cheap build gun that feels like a toy (And shoot like one). On the other hand..Of all the Coopers I have shot and handled, every one has shot incredibly well and their customer service is top notch.
I'm confused about the part where you had them pull every bolt based on the 700action? A howa is closer to a sako av action than a 700? Does the nosler action have square bar along the bottom like the howa?

For 2K to 2.4K look at APR Alamo Precision Rifles. For that you will get a trued Remington action, choice of caliber, Jewell or Calvin elite trigger, Choice of about 4 barrel types with your choice of length and twist, muzzle brake, fluted bolt, fluted barrel with choice of flute type, cerakota all steel parts, Graeboe stock(made by McMillan). Only down side is they use a sendero contour barrel that is fairly heavy, but overall is a really nice rifle.

I understand that it is not an exaxt copy of a 700 or the Sako. They made changes to make it their own design. But, you can take a Howa bolt and it will function in the Nosler Rifle. And the Nosler bolt will function in the Howa rifle. I can't see one detail that is different in the Nosler and Howa action or bolt
Sorry for the confusion...
I should have explained myself better and do apologize for that. When I took the Nosler Rifle back to the store they told me they came up with their own action. The explanation was that both Nosler and Howa, and several other actions, are 'based' on the 700 design. So he got all of the guns he thought had actions that were similar in desgin, and tested the bolts from each.
The Nosler and Howa actually functioned with the bolt from either gun. And were the only 2 rifles that did so. After that we inspected the bolts and actions and neither of us could see a difference in the bolt or action. Right down to the smallest detail.

I' sure there are those that have a Nosler and really like it. And that is great. This was just my experience. And I know personally that I would not invest that kind of money into a rifle so cheaply made.

Last edited:
I've had a Nosler Liberty - my best friend ownes it now. Only reason I sold it is that I wanted a 1-8 twist and longer mag / chamber to shoot the 195 (28).

I've shot that gun to 965 and verified to .5 MOA several times.

The trigger sucked and Nosler repacked it with their upgraded Timney at no charge and coated my aftermarket brake for free while they had it.

Their customer service is awesome.

I had that gun all the way apart and it was quality all the way.

It was designed by the guy that designed the Howa - by the way an integral recoil lug is normally considered a good thing. Also - I don't know of anything wrong at all with Howa accuracy.

I understand that it is not an exaxt copy of a 700 or the Sako. They made changes to make it their own design. But, you can take a Howa bolt and it will function in the Nosler Rifle. And the Nosler bolt will function in the Howa rifle. I can't see one detail that is different in the Nosler and Howa action or bolt
Sorry for the confusion...
I should have explained myself better and do apologize for that. When I took the Nosler Rifle back to the store they told me they came up with their own action. The explanation was that both Nosler and Howa, and several other actions, are 'based' on the 700 design. So he got all of the guns he thought had actions that were similar in desgin, and tested the bolts from each.
The Nosler and Howa actually functioned with the bolt from either gun. And were the only 2 rifles that did so. After that we inspected the bolts and actions and neither of us could see a difference in the bolt or action. Right down to the smallest detail.

I' sure there are those that have a Nosler and really like it. And that is great. This was just my experience. And I know personally that I would not invest that kind of money into a rifle so cheaply made.

What in your mind makes the nosler rilfe so cheaply made? They have an action made by howa (as do weatherby and a few others), barrels sourced from pacnor/shilen, stocks from a few different makers depending on model.

What in your mind makes the nosler rilfe so cheaply made? They have an action made by howa (as do weatherby and a few others), barrels sourced from pacnor/shilen, stocks from a few different makers depending on model.

For clarification the action is designed by the same designer as the Howa but is made in Bend by Nosler. It is not made by Howa and the triggers are not interchangeable either.

I agree. There is nothing wrong with a Howa. My point is that if you want a gun like a Howa. Pay $400 for the Howa. Not $2k for the Nosler. The issue I take is the price point. Why pay 5 times the money for the Nosler? It is cheaply made for 2k. In my opinion. My opinion may differ from others. That' the great thing about an opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.