Nosler Long-Range Accubond 6.5MM

GregShooter

For anyone with experience loading this bullet, is accuracy best when seated just touching the lands, jammed into them, or with a little jump. Thanks in advance to all replies!

Greg

For anyone with experience loading this bullet, is accuracy best when seated just touching the lands, jammed into them, or with a little jump. Thanks in advance to all replies!

Greg
I'm currently testing the 129gr ABLR in my 264WM, have found just touching shot the same as .020" off the lands, further away was worse and closer was also worse, have not tried jammed because I don't want bullets stuck in the barrel. This is a hunting rig, not a target rig.
Have shot 1 animal so far, bullet performance was OK @ 600yrds, recovered bullet was a bit light and only retained a tad over 40%. Penetration was adequate.

Cheers.
gun)

MagnumManiac,

That is small percent of retained weight. What was your starting velocity?

According to my chrony, in my 28" barrel, velocity with that bullet was 3321fps, average of 10 shots. This wasn't a max load, just the most accurate tested with H1000, Retumbo gave higher velocity, but it was a hair less accurate with all charges tested than the one above.

Lasered at 627yrds, the deer died on the spot, in the scope at the shot, then no longer visible, actually thought it had run off, but no, it was DRT.

Cheers.
gun)

In my 264 I load them .015 off the lands. Further away and the groups start opening up. I tried them (142 NABLR) from .015 out to .1. Haven't bother trying them closer as the .6 groups are good for the ranges I'll be able to shoot.

According to my chrony, in my 28" barrel, velocity with that bullet was 3321fps, average of 10 shots. This wasn't a max load, just the most accurate tested with H1000, Retumbo gave higher velocity, but it was a hair less accurate with all charges tested than the one above.

Lasered at 627yrds, the deer died on the spot, in the scope at the shot, then no longer visible, actually thought it had run off, but no, it was DRT.

Cheers.
gun)

Thanks.

This is a hunting rig, not a target rig.
Have shot 1 animal so far, bullet performance was OK @ 600yrds, recovered bullet was a bit light and only retained a tad over 40%. Penetration was adequate.

Cheers.
gun)

Good info, thank you.
I have had tremendous results with a 200 grain accubond in 30 cal @ 3150 fps
but am going to go with the Barnes 127 gr LRX in my 6.5 stw.

I was concerned about the 6.5 accubond holding up to the 3400-3500 fps
velocity

Start'em at .05" off and work backwards. Mine shoot .07" and .1" off. I've found the bonded bullets to like a jump.

Attachments

• 71003.jpg
    71003.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 71024.jpg
    71024.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 150
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.