Nosler long range Accubond experience

I love the design and the performance people share, now I need to find out how to get in a good groove with them.
Do they penetrate better than Berger HT? Anybody?

Vince it's funny you say that about the ABLR bullets shooting best close to the lands. I've always heard they like a lot of jump and have had many frustrating range sessions trying to get them to shoot well.

I was fire forming some brass for my 338 NMI and had the 300 grain ABLR touching the lands and shot this 3 shot group right from the get go.

View attachment 529661
ironically the 129 ABLR has always shot really well from my wife's 6.5x47 Lapua.

Oh MY! Great Day! That is some shooting!

Congrats on the incredible accuracy and big reward for thinking outside the box for sure!

Phil, I shoot the 155 Berger VLD hunting in one 308 and a 140g VLD hunting in a 7/08. Neither of these bullets penetrates well, BUT animals are lying in their tracks up to a certain yardage, and if they run, they are running dead with their innards blended.

On deer and hogs, I believe that the LRAB breaks bones better than Bergers, but I have very little experience with this. I am generally a lung shooter. I do have a little bias, with a mindset that the Berger is a target bullet while the LRAB is a hunting bullet, which is flawed thinking on my part. My family shoots a lot of Bergers vld hunting bullets, and they exhibit a "shotgun" effect on the internal organs, of deer with the bullet disintegrating. I let my niece borrow my rifle for a youth hunt in Missouri two years ago. At fading light, she shot a tremendous buck at 430 yards. She had no range finder and made a WAG on the holdover. She heard the bullet impact, the buck ran off, and it was pitch dark and she could not find the buck. The next morning, they found the buck within minutes. The 140g Berger VLD hunting bullet had impacted the buck on a broadside shot, 2" from the bottom of the Brisket, right behind the front leg. The bullet fragmented and pieces of the bullet penetrated the heart. Bullet did it's job, nuff said.

I have read on this site where a lot of men have shot clean through elk shoulders with VLD hunting bullets on elk with 7mm. I do believe that a guy has to try a bullet for his application and see the results for himself. There are a few very, very good hunters on this site that I would trust with their information on Berger bullets, no ego involved. My concern with bullets comes when you are forced to make a Quartering shot with the animal either facing you or going away.

Since this thread first came out, I have fired over 120 rounds out of my 270 Weatherby Mag, Mark V. Using only 150 Grn ABLR's . The load produced 2950 , then 3000 fps form the factory 26-inch barrel. I Used this to shoot steel targets out to 1100 yards. ( Bang Steel Shooting School ) I used the JBL ballistic app, and adjusted the Leupold 8.5X to 25X Windplex Elevation Dial based on the JBL math. The scope was mounted on Leupold Steel Dual Dove tail mounts ( Zero MOA Bases) as this is primarily a Hunting Rifle. The ABLR bullets performed extremely well, for this target application. I went to the deer camp in N Carolina directly from the school, with this Rifle /Scope and Load combo. Sadly, that year, no Bucks were seen by me, so I cannot attest to the performance of the 150 Grn. ABLR , on Whitetail deer. My feeling and opinion is that it would have been just fine to take deer out to 500 Yards across the cotton fields. I really like this bullet.

Good info and much appreciated! I LOVE the regular 140 AB's in my .270WSM reloads. They print dimes, and punch cash registers out the backside of deer in my 20yo SS T-3! Nothing walks away. Now that I have (2) new 300wm's, I'll be starting to look for projectiles for them.

I've only loaded them in 300 win mag, but I loaded them just under the 3.5" mag length in my savage and did a ladder test and found a half moa spot at the top of powder charge before pressure. The load holds 1/2 moa all day everyday. Here's a pic of that ladder. With 190 ablr and n565.

Attachments

• 20200223_162739.jpg
    20200223_162739.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 43
I've only loaded them in 300 win mag, but I loaded them just under the 3.5" mag length in my savage and did a ladder test and found a half moa spot at the top of powder charge before pressure. The load holds 1/2 moa all day everyday. Here's a pic of that ladder. With 190 ablr and n565.
Out of curiosity, what is the charge weight you chose? 76.5?

Good info and much appreciated! I LOVE the regular 140 AB's in my .270WSM reloads. They print dimes, and punch cash registers out the backside of deer in my 20yo SS T-3! Nothing walks away. Now that I have (2) new 300wm's, I'll be starting to look for projectiles for them.
How are to loading the 270wsm

When they first came out, I dropped about $400 trying 6.5 mm, 7mm, and 338 call bullets to shoot consistently. Tried seating depth tests from 10 thou jump to 100 thou and a couple different powders with no luck. The dispersions I saw only made me confident to shoot them at short range.
I'm glad to see others have had luck with the. I think the design seems great on paper.
There are a couple videos on youtube by Hornady and Federal about the difficulty in making bonded bullets well enough for accurate long range shooting.

I love them in my 7mm Saum. They have performed well from 100 out to 465 yards. I seat them 3 thousands off. The 465 yard shot was a whitetail that was quartered away. Shot took out lungs and broke opposite shoulder bullet wasn't recovered. 180 grain bergers to shoot a little bit tighter groups in this rifle but I have more confidence in the lrab and regular accubond expansion

Recent Posts