Nosler Accubond Long Range problem

As soon as I can find a box of the 150 ABLRs I'll be pushing them to way beyond 3200 FPS.

I ran 150 Ballistic Tips in excess of 3500 my 270 AM with great success to distances beyond where their little parachute opened.:)

Haha
Ill see if my source can scrounge any up. If so ill send em your way Roy.
I still owe you a few 270 cal bullets to experiment with :D

I'll jump in with a little more info. I'm shooting a 7 SAUM and working with the 168 ABLR's. I tried to work up a compressed load with H-1000. The jacket was thin/soft enough that I got a "compression ring" around the bullet when I tried the compressed load. Went to a faster powder. Just shot some this AM. 61.5 gr of H4831sc with a Fed 210 primer. Should be about 2980fps. At - 40 from the lands I got a 1/2 minute group. -20 and -30 the groups opened up. The wind probably affected my groups a bit too.....
In my mind the noses are rather soft/thin on these bullets. Never had this happen before. Bruce

Bruce, give me a bit more info. What is your OAL and/or the FB of your chamber? How long is your barrel? What case?

Anyone know of someplace with the 270 150gr in stock, now my curiosity is peaked and need some, I have several different barrels, twists and throats I could run them though in a 270 WSM and it would be kinda interesting.

In my search for bullets I've ran across a few reviews of this bullet and for the most part it seems to be sucking.

I wonder if the bullet is having nose slump issues past a certain velocity/rpm.

I read on Nosler's site that the ABLR is supposed to open up down to 1300 fps impact speeds. That indicates to me that the nose area is significantly softer than the original AB.

The smaller diameter (.277") ABLR might be more prone to something like nose slump since it has less mass in that ogive.

The sudden and total loss of accuracy seems to me like more than barrel harmonics.

As I was reading this, the first thing that came to mind was, How could a polymer tipped bullet have these problems but then something came to mind that happened to me about 4 years ago.

A customer came up to the shop to do some load development for a custom 300 RUM I had built for him. He was shooting the 200 gr Accubond. Once I got him set up I let him loose loading some test rounds as I did some work in the shop.

After he loaded a few rounds, he came over and asked why the tips kept breaking off the bullets........ He handed me two of the three rounds he had loaded and the white tips were broken off.

I had never seen this before. Went back and I loaded up 5 rounds and one of those tips came out as well. Well, we got a batch of 20 rounds loaded up to test and headed to the range. When he ran the rounds out of the magazine, the bullet tips would hit the feed ramp and break off.

Now, I had used thousands of Accubonds and never had I seen something like this. Even working the bolt very slowly, at least 50% of the tips would break off. We went back to the shop and inspected these 200 gr Accubonds. It seemed that the plastic just under the tip of the bullet, the portion that was in the bullet nose had dissolved for some reason as it had turned into a white powdery compound, not hard polymer.

The customer had brought these bullets with him which he had bought from a local sporting good shop. I grabbed a box of my personal 200 gr Accubonds and we started over, this time without a single problem.

The next day I called Nosler up and explained to them what problems we were having. It was obvious that the Nosler tech knew exactly what I was talking about. He asked me how many boxes I had that were bad and wanted my address. I asked him what was causing this and he said that they had a problem with the flux chemicals they were using. Apparently they used to much and the flux, which bonds the core to the jacket had pressed up around the polymer tip and actually dissolved it causing them to weaken and break off.

Now, we never did shoot any of these 200 gr Accubonds with the bad tips so I cannot say if this would cause a serious accuracy problem but I can say that the meplat on these bullets with the broken tip was HUGE and inconsitant. One would have a partial piece of polymer sticking out, some were broken off even, some were huge HP in appearance. I can see where it could cause some consistency problems.

Not saying this is the problem but hearing the mention of nose slumping made my mind go back to those problems with the Accubonds.

Also want to say that I have seen this in one lot of 160 gr 7mm Accubonds as well but those were the only two lots of Accubonds I have ever seen a problem with.

That does not explain the problems with the Ballistic Tips that the OP was seeing as there is no flux used in those bullets.

If these bullets do not have any structural flaws, they WILL NOT have any nose slump. How do I know this, because I have fired the 120 gr 7mm bullets over 4000 fps, the 140 gr Accubonds to over 3800 fps with no accuracy problems of any kind, in fact, both held 1/2 moa in group size.

Have also fired the 130 gr Accubond in 270 at well over 3800 fps and the 140s at over 3700 fps. Compared to what the OP is pushing the new Accubond, his loads would be a day on the beach for those bullets compared to what I have tortured them at.

If there is a flaw in the bullets though, anything could be possible.

Anyone know of someplace with the 270 150gr in stock, now my curiosity is peaked and need some, I have several different barrels, twists and throats I could run them though in a 270 WSM and it would be kinda interesting.

In my search for bullets I've ran across a few reviews of this bullet and for the most part it seems to be sucking.

I also need to test some in my 270 Allen Magnum. I could drive them to 3500 fps comfortably, possibly 3600 fps. Would be curious if they could handle that. I have NEVER had a Nosler BT or Accubond ever give me a problem at 270 AM velocity levels.

When you think of bullets that do not like velocity, Nosler BTs and Accubonds never make that list!!

I also need to test some in my 270 Allen Magnum. I could drive them to 3500 fps comfortably, possibly 3600 fps. Would be curious if they could handle that. I have NEVER had a Nosler BT or Accubond ever give me a problem at 270 AM velocity levels.

When you think of bullets that do not like velocity, Nosler BTs and Accubonds never make that list!!

To make their claim of opening at 1300 fps they would have to use a softer lead alloy because a standard Accubond won't open at that speed, the point is smaller than the standard Accubond so the ALR would really have to be much softer up front to get it to open at such a low velocity.

To make their claim of opening at 1300 fps they would have to use a softer lead alloy because a standard Accubond won't open at that speed, the point is smaller than the standard Accubond so the ALR would really have to be much softer up front to get it to open at such a low velocity.

I noticed the 210 ALRs I tested had parallel striations in the copper near the tip. First thought "hmmmm I wonder if these are to assist with expansion." Don't know. Does anyone have any insight on the striations? Do they assist with expansion? Are they part of the manufacturing process?

Bottom line for me....Why are they there?

Hope they make it to the target :)

They are deadly to a bit over 1400 yds but are falling like a brick.

Noslers of any ilk shoot lights out in the 3 grove 8 twist Lilja 270 AM. Hornady 140 BTSPs do also.

Berger 150s began to be erratic above 3200 or so. As do/did WC 195s. Three shot, 200 yd groups were always banana shaped and greater than 1.5 MOA or so.

Not nessesarily, could be that the tip has been redesigned to offer more of a wedging effect to force open expansion at lower velocity, or they may have a thinner tapered jacket at the meplat.

Noslers of any ilk shoot lights out in the 3 grove 8 twist Lilja 270 AM. Hornady 140 BTSPs do also.

Berger 150s began to be erratic above 3200 or so. As do/did WC 195s. Three shot, 200 yd groups were always banana shaped and greater than 1.5 MOA or so.

That's because the bergers and old WC195 were both made on J-4 jackets and the 3 groove barrels, turns out are pretty darn hard on thin jacketed bullets, especially long one driven to high velocities.

That's because the bergers and old WC195 were both made on J-4 jackets and the 3 groove barrels, turns out are pretty darn hard on thin jacketed bullets, especially long one driven to high velocities.

Plus 1, this has been the recipe for bullets coming apart on impact of game in some smaller high velocity calibers, in more than one instance. I feel a fast twist rate will aggravate the problem even more.

Jeff

However, these Noslers are of a new ilk. They are advertised to expand down to 1300 fps and ya gotta wonder how they designed the bullet to do that? Did they go too far?

Not nessesarily, could be that the tip has been redesigned to offer more of a wedging effect to force open expansion at lower velocity, or they may have a thinner tapered jacket at the meplat.

According to these pics, the tip is no different than other Nosler tips... but, there is a hollow cavity below the tip. The jacket is also tapered different. IME, the jacket must be thinner toward the tip end of the ogive and/or the lead alloy core softer than their other bullets. Did they make the nose too soft?

AccuBond

Ballistic Tip Hunting

AccuBond Long Range

Side x Side comparison 140 NAB (L) & 150 ABLR (R)
image.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.