normal primer or overpressure?

Good topic. I am not expert and actually have been looking at this very subject in regard to my 204 load development.

H4198 works really well in my 204, but I can't find reloading data for it. So I looked at the 222 Rem Mag and 40 gr pill. 204 with 40 gr pill should be similar. I loaded up to 25 grs of 4198 and once in awhile I would see an extractor mark. I backed off to 24.7 and the extractor mark is gone. Now, the primers are all a little flat, a little cratered, and all have a muffin top. Even light loads have a bit of a muffin top. What I hate is ruining brass to discover I am running the loads too hot. So the unicorn is experience I suppose. I measured the top vs the bottom of the primers and kept a mental record. About .05 growth.

For my 6.5-284 I have played with various bullets and powder charges. I ruined some brass at 8 reloads and my brass is now cooked at 10 and will all be thrown out now. This lapau brass looks good to me on the visual inspection side, but the primer pockets are loose. Neck thickness etc all seems very good. The primers do muffin top a little, and the top is about .02 wider than the base.

I try and follow the extractor mark and bolt lift guidance the experienced guys here mention. Bolt lift is a definite NO GO for me, but I also back off quickly on the extractor mark. My experience has already shown me the small amount of performance gained is not worth the cost of the brass and beating on the rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.