Brass problem or normal?

Removing material from your shell holder will change your shoulder datum. You would have to cut the top of the die off to only size the base. There isn't .180 to remove from the shell holder. Agree with quackhunter. A small base die may be in order or if you have multiple rifles in same chambering, to keep brass dedicated for each.

Depending on the pressures your running on your reloads and the low number of firings on your brass this area of the case likely hasn't expanded much yet and may not be touching the die. Take a micrometer to a virgin piece of brass, a once fired piece that hasn't been sized and a once sized and see how they compare, I'd venture to guess you will find they are all within .0002"-.0003" and will chamber just fine. Here is hodgdon's take on checking pressure and expansion in this manner

Last edited:
Depending on the pressures your running on your reloads and the low number of firings on your brass this area of the case likely hasn't expanded much yet and may not be touching the die. Take a micrometer to a virgin piece of brass, a once fired piece that hasn't been sized and a once sized and see how they compare, I'd venture to guess you will find they are all within .0002"-.0003" and will chamber just fine. Her is hodgdon's take on checking pressure and expansion in this manner
bingo! If you're expanding that part of the case your loads are a little hot!

When I Cleaning with Stainless steel pins it always takes more lube to full length size. I started using lemon shine and armor all car wash and wax in the water. This leaves a thin coating on the cases and will let you use a normal amount of lube. If they size hard after cleaning with pins they typically won't size down enough unless you and wash and wax to the water. Use a little more lube and run them through the sizer again. Just my experience with Stainless pins. Good luck

This looks more like a brass issue to me. If you measure the diameter at the line where it no longer sizes and also measure the same place on virgin brass, I bet you'll find a good bit of difference. I had a similar occurrence when using Hornady or Federal brass in a 6.5x55. That brass used the standard American .473 case head dimension, while the chamber used the proper .479 CIP dimension. Switched to .479 case head brass and the problem went away.
Could be your brass is just too small at the base for the chamber. If the difference isn't too great, and the brass consistently chambers, I'd just roll with it.

OMG ! All this advice and the OP has NOT EVEN MADE UP SOME LOADED CARTRIDGES AND TRIED THEM !!

IF IT A'INT BROKE DON'T MESS WITH IT !!!

Facing the same problem, I got a Lyman Ammo checker and now use that to check ALL my cases after sizing.. If it fits, it shoots. I have had several case that would not fit all the way down after sizing. so I sized them again, and if still no fit, I toss the case.

ONE LAST TRY !!! He does not know he has a problem. He THINKS he might.

Before posting go back and read his ORIGINAL post !!!!

its a full length sizer doing what it is supposed to do . a FL sizer sizes the neck , the shoulder angle ( to your set headspace) then angles away from the shoulder to the case head , that diameter at the die opening is the correct measurement at that distance of the angle, from the shoulder down .. that brass in the picture that shows no contact, doesn,t need to be sized there , that is why they asked if it fits your rifle

sometimes that area does swell up , but no need to discuss until your brass doesnt fit

** ???? iF, you took an 1/8in from headspace , youd destroy the shoulder area ?? **

*** chamber drawing *** measure down from the shoulder 1.240 & see if the diameter is .4589 or less ( .4574 ** case drawing )

35 remington saami.GIF

Last edited:
I give up !
The POST BEFORE READING syndrome has taken over this thread !

One last comment to "one last try" - I figure people read the posts before commenting. I know read the post. A while back, I originally thought I had the same problem. I solved it. Like everyone else here, I was simply offering another option/opinion. I might have missed something, but hey - the reader can take it, leave it, ignore it as they will. That is pretty much what forums offer, and are for - opprotunites to contribute information and/or experience for others to use or not. And sometimes giving up is the right choice.

Well, obviously they don't or they would realize the OP has not made up any ammo or checked it in his rifle.

Reminds me of folks who seek medical advice on Facebook.

Like Magnum Maniac said your die is working as designed. You are looking at the unsized web area of the case; dies are not designed to size this solid area nor could they. You don't have a problem. A case sticking from neck sizing only jammed because of expansion above the region you are seeing as unsized and you FL sizer will take case of that area.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.