7STW Primers Normal or Magnum?

Nvhunter

Is there a difference in performance in normal Large rifle primers or Magnum Large rifle primers when loading for 7STW?

Area conditions will be high altitude 8-11K feet, cold temperatures, moderate winds and either long flat ranges at the higher elevation and steep angles at the lower elevations.

This will be the first time I have worked up a new load for my (new to me) 7STW. I - just like everyone else - am running into backorders for large rifle primers. I have found some large rifle magnum primers but do not know if I can feed them to my 7STW.

I'd start with the Large Rifle Magnum's, the STW has a large capacity and shooting in cold temps it's good to have plenty of ignition. Unless I had problems working up a load, I'd use the magnums in the STW.

AJ

AJ,

Thanks for the reply. I placed the Large Rifle Magnum Primers on order. I am having a heck of a time locating standard reloading primers etc. for the common rounds 30.06 / 308 etc...Now looks to be the time to be working on those wildcat rounds.

I'll have more info on the 7STW when I return home and crack open the books.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that your better off with Large rifle magnum primers generally when loading over 60 grains of powder as a general rule. I also agree with AJ. I hear you in regards to finding many primers. Best of luck at 11K, I hope you find what you seek. What are you seeking?

Best regards

Seeking Mulies. Mule deer that is....:D. Main purpose is to fill the fridge for the family. So, I am going for large body bucks. Hopefully the weather, vegetation, water, etc. will be kind to those tasty critters this year and I will have a large rack to accompany that full fridge.

I have found that these racks out here in Nevada accompany good weather more than mature bucks. It varies year by year...Oh yeah, genetics of course too.

Thanks for the feedback.

Well I can tell you that it has sure been allot better here in CO with regards to the vegetation, with all the rain/moisture were receiving here this year. Oh and YES typically it does make a difference in Antler growth. Allot better than having drought conditions. Good luck with the High Country BUCKS

NVhunter,

I'd try the regular Large Rifle primers. I use them in all my reloading, even in my RUM's. The only time I'll use the Magnums is when I know I'll be in sub-zero temps. Even then, it's just for added insurance.

Where you located? If you're close enough, I've got some primers you could use.

I'd hate to see you miss a monster area 16 buck due to a lack of primers.:D

Geargrinder,

I'm in Henderson. If you are interested in trading a box or two of Large Rifle Magnum primers for Large rifle primers let me know.

I have been looking forward to Area 16 for a loooong time. On my first scouting trip I viewed Alta Toquima and Monitor Range. I will be concentrating on the south end of the Montior Range this year. Spooked some good bucks just last weekend around 9000 ft on the initial scouting trip.

Looks like only two choices in vegatation. THICK Mohogany stands or flat high Pine and Aspen stands. Looking forward to the season.

Geargrinder,

I'm in Henderson. If you are interested in trading a box or two of Large Rifle Magnum primers for Large rifle primers let me know.

I have been looking forward to Area 16 for a loooong time. On my first scouting trip I viewed Alta Toquima and Monitor Range. I will be concentrating on the south end of the Montior Range this year. Spooked some good bucks just last weekend around 9000 ft on the initial scouting trip.

Looks like only two choices in vegatation. THICK Mohogany stands or flat high Pine and Aspen stands. Looking forward to the season.

Good choice. I used to camp at Barley Creek all the time when I was a kid in Tonopah. Also hiked Table Mountain from Barley a few times too. Gets you into great deer country fast.

I also have some friends heading down to Hot Creek this year too.

Sending you a pm on the primers.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.