Magnum primers

gonewest

I just read on another site that if you hunt in real cold weather you should use magnum primers. I plan on hunting out in Colorado and Alberta this yr. and am going to have a friend reload some .270 140gr partioners or accubonds should I get the magnum primers even if the book calls for regular? Thanks

I dont think thats necissary. Use a stable powder like IMR 4831 or something and youll be fine. Id shy away from mag primers in a caliber that doesnt call for them, as you may get a spike in pressures. Besides, how many folks hunt with factory ammo? lotts right? and how many manufacturers put mag primers in thier 270 ammo? and how many factory rounds dont go off due to regular large primers in cold weather? If it was an issue, it wouldve been addressed.Theres your answer. Im realy impressed with my accubonds if that helps at all.
Side note; I use a 270wsm and use fed 215L mag primers with 140gr Accobonds, but mine calls for use of either primer.
I shot 500 yds on Saturday and shot thru 1 1/2'' foam insulation board with a 10' gap into a sandy dirt bank(that I built to stop/catch bullets). I got 16-18'' of pennetration consistantly into the dirt after going thru the target and foam board. I weighed 5 bullets and avg retained wt was 100.6 gr. This is by NO MEANS a bullet test for any other purpose than to see how far into DIRT the Accubonds would pennetrate compared to my buddies 300win with 180gr Fusions. He got 18-21'' of penetration into DIRT and retained an avg of 149.8 gr. AGAIN THIS IS NOT A BULLET TEST!!!!! IT was just to see what would happen when shot into DIRT at 500 yds. All that being said I trust my bullets alot more now that Ive seen them perform(again in DIRT only).
*** (DISCLAIMER) AGAIN THIS IS NOT A BULLET TEST! Foam board and Dirt are not supposed to represent anything but foam board and dirt. And my dirt may be different than your dirt AND my foam board may be from a different lott than your foam board, and the 10' air gap between the two was 10' because it was the easiest place to build it( the air gap doesnt represent anything either):D.***
This was strictly a personal confidence builder for me and my buddy with our chosen calibers and bullets. There is no scientific merrit or approach to my findings. So dont go sending any ''hey TJ, thats not an accurate test'' messages please guys.

I have never used magnum primers in my 270Win but if you want to use them that would be fine but you will have to reduce your load and work up. I would recommend starting about 2 grains less powder and see if your cartridges exhibit excessive pressure and then see if you can find a sweet spot for accuracy while looking for signs of excessive pressure. Truthfully, I don't think it is worth the hassle and you may not find an easy load that shoots as accurate.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.