magnum primers

uncle_creepy

I have heard that you can use mag primers in smaller caliber (22-250). Is it true? I have a .223, 22-250, 300 WM and 25-06. I plan to add a .243. can I load all of them with magnum primers (minus .223)?

I am rather new to reloading rifle cartridges. does a 25-06 require a mag primer?

Can't help you with the first part of your question, but I can tell you I use mag primers in my 25-06 with Retumbo, but it is not required.

I have used Magnum primers in all the calibers that you have listed, including .223. However, my best load in the Savage 110FP .223 that I used to own, was with a Rem 6.5 (non-mag) primer.
For instance; I see from my reloading journal, dated 4/7/02 (Sunday, AM, 60-65 deg, 0-10mph), I was shooting a Rem 700 Varmint Synthetic in .22-250 Rem and a Rem 700 Varmint Special in .243 Win. I used the Rem 9 1/2M primer with 36.0gn of Varget, virgin Rem brass and a 40gn NBT to shoot a .185" with the .22-250Rem and I used the 9 1/2M primer with 43.0gn of H414, virgin Rem brass and a 87gn V-Max to shoot a .453" with the .243Win.
I used the Rem 9 1/2M in the .25-06 with RL22 and the Barnes 100gn TSX. Scary accurate and deadly on whitetails. Required? no, I just stumbled upon an accurate load while doing load development and experimenting. JohnnyK.

Note: the above group for that .243Win wouldn't normally get honorable mention, but it was the best group the Hornady's ever shot in that rifle. For me, I have on several occasions found that Hornady bullets do not provide the gilt edge accuracy that I have readily obtained from Nosler Ballistic Tips and Sierra MatchKings.

Last edited:
Yes you can use mag primers with all those cartridges BUT you need to start at a minimum load and work up. Different make Mag primers have different amounts of priming in them. Fed. 215's are about the hottest. Wolf small rifle Mag primers have the safe priming at their regular but the cup if thicker on their mag primers so they will take a little more pressure and will work through semi-auto's that have free floating firing pins like AR-15's and will not slam fire. I use CCI 250's in my 25-06 with my favorite load using IMR 4350 because I get the best accuracy with them. Anytime you change anything in a load you need to back off on the powder and work back up.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts