Overpressure?

Keep in mind that some recent (like three years ago - pre-Covid) lots of Winchester "blue box" brass cup LR and LRM primers have been significantly undersized and might make it look like your primer pockets were oversized when in reality the primers were just undersized. I discovered this when doing some load workup for a buddy with his 30-06 and Winchester "blue box" brass primers he provided. Checked some recently (just before covid) purchased bricks of the same type primers in my own stash with the micrometer and found they are the same. I think (hope) that's been corrected by now. Winchester used to be some of the largest diameter primers (realizing we are dealing with "tenths") but they certainly sold some undersized ones 3 years ago.
I understand you found the pinhole where the primer pierced but just throwing this out FYI.

Cheers,
Rex

Was wondering if anybody has experienced something like this before, see pictures. The case head was all black before I wiped it off.

This is with 57.2 gn h1000 and 143 bondstrike; 6.5 PRC.

Is it pressure, bad primer, something else? The primer is pretty flat. There has been swipes on the head even at lower charges but no real heavy bolt lift or anything. The bolt face might actually have a mark on it, haven't tried to polish it yet to find out.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I see a possible pin hole just under or below the L on the case.

Pinhole is confirmed. Could the failure be from Overpressure? I do get ejector swipes at this charge even tho well below book max.
If you're below book max pressure should not be too much. Winchester are known for this problem. They have a very thin cup.

Not the same issue, but sometimes you can get "falsies" if the chamber dimensions are a little tight, ejector is rough, ejector hole is cratered, etc.

If you have virgin and sized brass that have not scratced.
Take an unloaded case of each and chamber it. Then look and see if you have swipe on the cases.

I never had this type of problem, but that dosesn't mean much. The picture is a little hard to see all the details. I note the flatten primers, but that's the way all my reloads primers end up. I stop at that, no creatoring or ejector marks. Ejector marks is generally the load is to hot. I generally do a run up on powder loads by either .2 to .5 increase per case powder load to start with looking for signs of max load. I generally use only single based powders.
I have used loose primer pockets, and have stop that completely a great many years ago. I haven't use Winchester primers in a very long time. I've been trying to get some Win in Match and regular LRP's. That's been a hard one to complete in getting those primers. Not that I am going switch over to them, but want to see how they do.
I've been a Fed 210 and M primers user for a great many years. I do have some Mag primes, and I generally don't use them. My rifles powder loads are under 77grs to start with, and won't hold much more.
In reloading I will try difference combination to see what does group the best. Other than that I feel that case prep is one of the most important things to do.

Ckleeves said: "Looks like a bad primer that leaked."

I agree. I had some Federal primers in the mid-80s that did that and etched a ring on the bolt face before I caught it. I dont see any signs of too high pressure.
What bothers me is the apparent impression of lettering on the bolt face. Is that just a result of the smoke between bolt face and case head?

Ckleeves said: "Looks like a bad primer that leaked."

I agree. I had some Federal primers in the mid-80s that did that and etched a ring on the bolt face before I caught it. I dont see any signs of too high pressure.
What bothers me is the apparent impression of lettering on the bolt face. Is that just a result of the smoke between bolt face and case head?
It is the smoke or crud between the head and face. It wiped off but there was some etching by the pinhole at the primer rim. I think it will be inconsequential, but we'll see.