Overpressure?

Rok1167

Was wondering if anybody has experienced something like this before, see pictures. The case head was all black before I wiped it off.

This is with 57.2 gn h1000 and 143 bondstrike; 6.5 PRC.

Is it pressure, bad primer, something else? The primer is pretty flat. There has been swipes on the head even at lower charges but no real heavy bolt lift or anything. The bolt face might actually have a mark on it, haven't tried to polish it yet to find out.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_3406.jpeg
    IMG_3406.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_3400.jpeg
    IMG_3400.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 353
Are your primer pockets loose? How many times was this brass loaded?
Primer Is rather flattened.
Can't tell for sure - does the ejector have a dimple on it?
Also, under the extractor, is there a protusion on the bolt face?
Primer pockets are not loose.

I don't think the ejector has a dimple.

It doesn in fact look like there is a profusion on the bolt face, under the extractor. I have never noticed it before as it's not noticeable to the naked eye. With the blown up photo it is evident and I can feel it with a pick. Maybe that caused the case head to have a small gap on that side which would explain why the issue is on that side of the bolt face. Never noticed an issue chambering a round, bumping the shoulders back .002.

It's a defiance action with proof barrel, and it has shot less than stellar thru 200 rounds. Seems like there is something to it, possibly other than pressure.

Search has 100's of threads covering this exact topic in detail!
Which topic, pressure or bad primer? Both are applicable here, and I haven't found another thread with the same situation showing a bad primer impacting the bolt face like this. Thanks for the suggestion, learned a lot on other threads too.

Knock out the primer wipe it clean and look for any pinholes. That would be a bad primer search, if it's just leaking around the primer that would be enlarged primer pocket. too many times this happening will etch your bolt face.

Last edited:
Knock out the primer wipe it clean and look for any pinholes. That would be a bad primer search, if it's just leaking around the primer that would be enlarged primer pocket. too many times this happening will etch your face.
There's definitely a hole in the primer rim. It did etch the bolt face unfortunately. Appreciate the thought.

Was wondering if anybody has experienced something like this before, see pictures. The case head was all black before I wiped it off.

This is with 57.2 gn h1000 and 143 bondstrike; 6.5 PRC.

Is it pressure, bad primer, something else? The primer is pretty flat. There has been swipes on the head even at lower charges but no real heavy bolt lift or anything. The bolt face might actually have a mark on it, haven't tried to polish it yet to find out.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Need to know the speed, what did they clock at?