Norma brass Issues….

ElkSurgeon

Was cranking 9mm brass on the bench today, prepped 1k & tossed in the tumbler. Grabbed my next bag of mixed head stamp & started running into issues. Bent de-capping pin thread insert after changing 1broken pin replacement. Narrowed my issue down to NORMA 9mm brass. Got like 7 of them set aside so far. The Norma brass has a smaller flash hole than all other standard 9mm in my possession. Posting this thread to gather intel & maybe give a few handloaders a heads-up if they've stockpiled Norma 9mm for reloading…….using RCBS Carbide 3die set
23DDD6A4-0A38-4A84-9CBF-316438A29261.jpeg
20B62702-D524-4613-95B7-45BEF371B078.jpeg
F661E707-9E43-4036-99A5-FE06CB5E37E6.jpeg

Rut Ro. I have 1K of 100% Norma cleaned and sitting on my bench ready to reload. Thanks for the heads up.

Bought a couple cases of Norma for cheap a couple months ago, figured the brass would be good stuff because it's Norma, right? So this will be my first run of Norma brass.

Just for reference, what is the diameter of your decapping pin?

I use a Dillon 550/Dillon carbide dies so may be different.

I am travelling on business and won't be home for a couple weeks. Otherwise I'd measure mine right now.

Also can you just uniform flash hole,then done with issue.What are you doing for system?Some type of progressive,I want to start loading for my pistol as a more affordable option currently

I've tried my flash hole deburring tool & it won't ream the hole any larger. Probably gonna have to use a drill bit. Usually Norma brass is high quality, I'm kind of suprised they spec their 9mm brass like this…..I'm using a single stage RCBS press & use LEE & RCBS carbide dies for my 9mm, 10mm, & my big revolvers.

Great info! I have a bunch of 9mm Norma brass as well but haven't attempted to reload any of it yet. I too would like to know the diameter of your decapping pin...

Thanks for the heads up!

My Mighty Armory decap die just punches them out to the right size. I have the proper size pin but dont bother with it. Norma has been doing that. IIRC they did a test and found the smaller size produced better accuracy. Norma also makes some brass for Lapua.

This is normal for Euro made brass, even their rifle brass in both large primer and small primer is smaller flash holes.
Their brass/ammo is also more accurate for it.

Cheers.

Was cranking 9mm brass on the bench today, prepped 1k & tossed in the tumbler. Grabbed my next bag of mixed head stamp & started running into issues. Bent de-capping pin thread insert after changing 1broken pin replacement. Narrowed my issue down to NORMA 9mm brass. Got like 7 of them set aside so far. The Norma brass has a smaller flash hole than all other standard 9mm in my possession. Posting this thread to gather intel & maybe give a few handloaders a heads-up if they've stockpiled Norma 9mm for reloading…….using RCBS Carbide 3die setView attachment 349188View attachment 349189View attachment 349190
Wow
Surprised this issue was not brought up earlier by other reloaders. Is it just that Norma came out with this new brass and small flash holes?
Jill and I used to shoot about 500+ rounds of 9mm & .45ACP every other weekend. Have not shot that volume for several years due to my neck issues.
Never had the problem with flash holes like you are having, but never used Norma Brass.
Thanks for this information. It is a big help for pistol reloaders having any issues.

Len & Jill

Rut Ro. I have 1K of 100% Norma cleaned and sitting on my bench ready to reload. Thanks for the heads up.

Bought a couple cases of Norma for cheap a couple months ago, figured the brass would be good stuff because it's Norma, right? So this will be my first run of Norma brass.

Just for reference, what is the diameter of your decapping pin?

I use a Dillon 550/Dillon carbide dies so may be different.

I am travelling on business and won't be home for a couple weeks. Otherwise I'd measure mine right now.
My De-capping pin measures at .069

I ran into the same thing yesterday. I keep pulling them out and setting to the side for now. I was a little surprised when I found the first one that didn't go.
I ended up with 40 of the micros after sizing a bag of 1000 mixed, I converted flash holes with drill bit & was back in business. @Seebeeken mentioned his Mighty Armory capping pin punches right through so might be time to upgrade maybe…..I dunno

You have large and small pistol primers. So what up? It maybe I don't totally follow what going on here. I see the difference in flash holes Dia. Why would they been using a small flash hole in a larger primers pocket?